12 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The BBC commentator is doing my nut in pronouncing Haaland as “Holland” 

Erling Braut Haaland ( Håland; Urban East Norwegian: [ˈhòːlɑn];

Erling Haaland - Wikipedia

The å changes the way it's pronounced.

Edited by Zen Archer (Raconteur)

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The BBC commentator is doing my nut in pronouncing Haaland as “Holland” 

I watched a video about him, filmed in his home town, where everyone they interviewed was pronouncing it like that. They were saying Erling differently as well.

Similarly, when Johan Cruyff, died I watch a lot videos from his Ajax and Feyenoord days and was stunned to hear every single Dutch commentator pronouncing his name as 'Crouff' 'with the crou' pronounced as in 'crouch'.

Bit of fortune not to have a penalty for the foul against Hendry. Haaland gets a lot of fouls in his favour, but he seems to be the one in most cases that instigates contact by pushing and pulling the defender marking him. 

15 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Most recent example I could find was 2018 when multiple players decided they couldn't be arsed with a friendly set against Peru and Mexico, Allan McGregor being one of them.

A quick on the surface look through as many sources as I can find suggest no fitness or club-related reason behind it - he just decided not to go. Alongside (seemingly) three others. Although I can't say I even remember who was in that squad, so I can't possibly guess who they are.

If that happened today I'm sure nobody would be missing out on it out of a simple "can't be bothered" attitude, which is my point.

So five years ago, under a different manager and a player with a history of being a tit.

Surely you can see my point?

I've been Google translating the Norwegian press and they seem to be all being pretty sensible and stoic about it..

No snivelling Rodri shite here.

I did notice an old favourite from the Pie and Bovril vernacular though, where Østigård was descibed as being "on the verge of tears". 😃

Leo Skiri Østigård, who was on the verge of tears in the interview with TV 2, also stopped by the press zone to answer questions. He said that he had cramp in both calves before the fateful 1-1 score. - It is absolutely terrible. I wish I could do something about it, but my body says no. It is very disappointing and terrible that this is happening. I don't know what to say, said a broken-down Østigård to VG, who answered "without a doubt" when asked if it was his worst experience in a while.

Også Leo Skiri Østigård, som var på gråten i intervjuet med TV 2, tok turen innom pressesonen for å svare på spørsmål. Han fortalte at han fikk krampe i begge leggene før den skjebnesvangre 1–1-scoringen.

– Det er helt forferdelig. Jeg skulle ønske jeg kunne gjøre noe med det, men min kropp sier nei. Det er veldig skuffende og forferdelig at det skjer. Jeg vet ikke hva jeg skal si, sa en nedbrutt Østigård til VG, som svarte «uten tvil» på spørsmål om det er hans verste opplevelse på en stund.

27 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Most recent example I could find was 2018 when multiple players decided they couldn't be arsed with a friendly set against Peru and Mexico, Allan McGregor being one of them.

A quick on the surface look through as many sources as I can find suggest no fitness or club-related reason behind it - he just decided not to go. Alongside (seemingly) three others. Although I can't say I even remember who was in that squad, so I can't possibly guess who they are.

If that happened today I'm sure nobody would be missing out on it out of a simple "can't be bothered" attitude, which is my point.

That’s not a very good example to be honest. A couple of meaningless friendlies in the middle of summer where players, quite rightly, feel they deserve a holiday.

Yes, you could argue that it should be a privilege to play for your country etc but I don’t see much wrong with it imo.

You wouldn’t see it much now as friendlies are generally a thing of the past and Nations League games for a country such as ourselves are very important as a “back door” to qualify for major tournament.

I may be wrong and I’m sure @DA Baracus will correct me if so but I think his point was more about players actually involved on the pitch during the 90 mins rather than players deciding to opt out of meaningless games.

While we're at it, the current success of the national team should be the death nail in the B team pish.

Reasons to keep doing what we're doing?

Robertson. McGinn. McGregor. Hickey. Porteous. Hendry. Tierney. Mclean. Jack. Armstrong. Gilmour. Christie. Taylor. Patterson. 

Reasons for B teams?

Eh Romeo Beckham plays for Brentford B and Croatia's 3rd choice keeper played half a season for a B team.

Get fucked.