Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

33 minutes ago, Binos said:

The penalty was a farce. The main failing was Robertson let the cross in too easy 

Tbf Robertson showed him onto his weaker right foot and he took it on that side and pretty much sclaffed it. Without the pen it was pretty much a non-event

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

McGinn lightly clipped someone, it was the softest booking imaginable. There were numerous worse challenges from Norway, which didn’t lead to a booking - and occasionally not even a free kick. 

Ref was absolutely not having McGinn on Saturday. He probably does benefit from getting soft free-kicks from time to time, but Saturday was completely the other way 

7 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ref was absolutely not having McGinn on Saturday. He probably does benefit from getting soft free-kicks from time to time, but Saturday was completely the other way 

He absolutely buys plenty of free kicks - but yeah we struggled to get anything out of the referee. 

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

Tbf Robertson showed him onto his weaker right foot and he took it on that side and pretty much sclaffed it. Without the pen it was pretty much a non-event

You should be closing and not allowing the cross in but jockeying whilst standing 5 yards off seems to be the modern excuse for defending 

Just about feeling normal again after that trip, just in time for tomorrow.

Don’t think we played that badly in relation to the game plan which was frustrate and counter, similar to the Ukraine game in Poland. The #scenes in the away end for the goals were sensational (although RIP my sunglasses 😫) Not quite Griffiths v England levels but right up there, maybe comparable to McTominay v Israel.

Huge respect to the Norwegian FA and staff at the stadium who were dishing out the bottles of water. Must have got through about 5 bottles, never experienced conditions like it and without the water there would have definitely been a few casualties. 

A good laugh with the Norwegian young team giving some old fashioned train station verbals after the game, then throwing (plastic) bottles at us. Proper nawty. 

Anyone able to beat my record of £60 for 3 drinks? Good at the time…

Just got home yesterday, nearly recovered. Was in the Norway end and it was absolute carnage at the end, I went arse over tit when big Dykesy scored, had barely got back to my feet when McLean scored. For it being absolute daylight robbery the Norwegians took the defeat quite well, seems to be a real feeling of apathy around their team. Bank account took an absolute battering the last few days but it was worth it.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Clearly, there is little room for an assessment that says we got a bit lucky in securing a magical result out of nowhere.

I should really have already learned this lesson.

Hopefully, any win tomorrow is unequivocally merited.

Have you thought about posting about it again and again and again?

Bound to sink in eventually.

1 hour ago, Weegie Par said:

Just about feeling normal again after that trip, just in time for tomorrow.

Don’t think we played that badly in relation to the game plan which was frustrate and counter, similar to the Ukraine game in Poland. The #scenes in the away end for the goals were sensational (although RIP my sunglasses 😫) Not quite Griffiths v England levels but right up there, maybe comparable to McTominay v Israel.

Huge respect to the Norwegian FA and staff at the stadium who were dishing out the bottles of water. Must have got through about 5 bottles, never experienced conditions like it and without the water there would have definitely been a few casualties. 

A good laugh with the Norwegian young team giving some old fashioned train station verbals after the game, then throwing (plastic) bottles at us. Proper nawty. 

Anyone able to beat my record of £60 for 3 drinks? Good at the time…

In a club Friday night and paid 40 quid for 2 vodka, no ragrets and all that.......

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

Jack Hendry a wee bit lucky to stay on the park in the 40th minute. Would have been a harsh sending off but we'd have been appealing for a red at the other end.

Sort of foul that there should be an intermediate level card with 10 minute sin bin for IMO

I'm not sure it showed the angle directly during play but Angus Gunn was outside his box (he took the free kick 40 yards from goal immediately before) and the ball was always carrying through to him. Haaland was never catching that ball so yellow was right.

He was damned lucky with the subseauent pull of his arm on the edge of the box though.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Clearly, there is little room for an assessment that says we got a bit lucky in securing a magical result out of nowhere.

I should really have already learned this lesson.

Hopefully, any win tomorrow is unequivocally merited.

You know its not necessary to take it to extremes, right? 

Its possible to legitimately state we didnt play particularly well without also saying it was the biggest theft since Brinks Matt? All anyone else is trying to point out is Norway werent any great shakes either. They forced precisely no saves of note from our goalkeeper during this apparently one sided battering. They missed two good headed chances and had a shot from distance deflected narrowly wide. And should likely have had a penalty 10 mins before the softish one they did get.

We were 2nd best of two poor sides on the day (possibly due to the heat). We were fortunate to win. A draw wouldnt have particularly flattered us though.

10 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Tbh McGinn does my head in on days like Saturday. There have been a few Scotland games where it's clear early on that he isn't gonna win many fouls but he he still breaks down attacks trying to do so. Aside from Spain and Armenia at home, his performances haven't been too great for us in the past year - not that I'm in any way saying he should be dropped. 

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You know its not necessary to take it to extremes, right? 

Its possible to legitimately state we didnt play particularly well without also saying it was the biggest theft since Brinks Matt? All anyone else is trying to point out is Norway werent any great shakes either. They forced precisely no saves of note from our goalkeeper during this apparently one sided battering. They missed two good headed chances and had a shot from distance deflected narrowly wide. And should likely have had a penalty 10 mins before the softish one they did get.

We were 2nd best of two poor sides on the day (possibly due to the heat). We were fortunate to win. A draw wouldnt have particularly flattered us though.

We were poor yet, after 3 caps I'm still unsure if Gunn can make a diving, match saving save.  Norway had possession and f**k all else to them.  

15 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

McGinn lightly clipped someone, it was the softest booking imaginable. There were numerous worse challenges from Norway, which didn’t lead to a booking - and occasionally not even a free kick. 

To be honest I thought McGinn knew exactly what he was doing. I'd have booked him for it. I didn't have an issue with any of the bookings we got. Tierney's came from a free kick that wasn't even a foul but he got the booking for dissent, not the incorrectly awarded foul (of course there is no dissent if the ref doesn't call the foul wrong, I accept that's hair splitting). Porteous was booked for the penalty, which was a bit soft I suppose but once he gives it he's always giving a booking. There's an argument it should have been red. He's certainly not making an effort at the ball. Hendry wrestling Haaland on halfway was a stonewall booking. He's lucky he didn't get one for pulling his arm on the edge of the box too.

I was more irritated that 2 or 3 Norwegians were not booked for similar offences. There was one not long after McGinn's, I forget who by, which was similar and should have seen yellow. McGinn clearly went to the ref to query why it wasn't. Haaland should have got one for barging into Hickey late on. Dykes got battered off the ball a couple of times when advantage was played and no action was taken. Odegaard produced a show of dissent late on that was more obvious than Tierney's and got no action taken either.

Edited by Skyline Drifter