US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Trump to get serious prison time and win the election. How hilarious would it be, just when you think this nightmare of a country cannot sink any lower. All going well we will be back in Bonny Scotland before November.

Just before the BIG insurrection......

Jan the 6th was nothing..

4 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Trump to get serious prison time and win the election. How hilarious would it be, just when you think this nightmare of a country cannot sink any lower. All going well we will be back in Bonny Scotland before November.

I know felonies are no impediment to running for President, but can they run from within a prison cell?

That would be hilarious. Imagine the debates, with pundits debating who won while one of the candidates was literally streaming from the jail cell they were sent to for committing serious crimes.

7 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I know felonies are no impediment to running for President, but can they run from within a prison cell?

That would be hilarious. Imagine the debates, with pundits debating who won while one of the candidates was literally streaming from the jail cell they were sent to for committing serious crimes.

You can; Eugene Debs did

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_V._Debs

7 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Debs ran from his prison cell in 1920.

5 hours ago, BTFD said:

Felonies are not, but charges regarding Jan 6th could be an issue. The 14th Amendment, Section 3 contains a Trumps problem. Originally designed to prevent former Confederate leaders from holding office after the Civil War, if he’s found guilty of insurrection he would be prohibited unless 2/3 of the House and 2/3 of the Senate both voted to remove the prohibition.

“No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.”

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Felonies are not, but charges regarding Jan 6th could be an issue. The 14th Amendment, Section 3 contains a Trumps problem. Originally designed to prevent former Confederate leaders from holding office after the Civil War, if he’s found guilty of insurrection he would be prohibited unless 2/3 of the House and 2/3 of the Senate both voted to remove the prohibition.

“No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.”

I wonder if, when drawing up these two-thirds rules, the authors were well aware that it was as good as saying "never gonna happen", or if legislators were genuinely more likely to vote with their moral compass. Or even have a moral compass.

15 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I wonder if, when drawing up these two-thirds rules, the authors were well aware that it was as good as saying "never gonna happen", or if legislators were genuinely more likely to vote with their moral compass. Or even have a moral compass.

Nixon decided to go when he was told they would vote to impeach him, but then the values were different and the lines less entrenched. This is a slightly easier goal, it’s a 2/3’s of each to reinstate, but still a tough road. I would expect multiple lawsuits anyway, and the Supremes to rule again…like in 2000…may God help our souls.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Nixon decided to go when he was told they would vote to impeach him, but then the values were different and the lines less entrenched. This is a slightly easier goal, it’s a 2/3’s of each to reinstate, but still a tough road. I would expect multiple lawsuits anyway, and the Supremes to rule again…like in 2000…may God help our souls.

Aye, I've wondered about Nixon before - seems like the general consensus is that he really would likely have been convicted, but who knows if the strong principled stance by Republicans would've help up when faced with the reality of emptying their own guy.

He does seem like the type to cling on if he thought he could, but apparently he couldn't have been pardoned by Ford if he'd been convicted. Also read that he was so unpopular with Republican senators that the number likely to vote for acquittal only just made it into double figures  :lol:

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

Aye, I've wondered about Nixon before - seems like the general consensus is that he really would likely have been convicted, but who knows if the strong principled stance by Republicans would've help up when faced with the reality of emptying their own guy.

He does seem like the type to cling on if he thought he could, but apparently he couldn't have been pardoned by Ford if he'd been convicted. Also read that he was so unpopular with Republican senators that the number likely to vote for acquittal only just made it into double figures  :lol:

On 5 August, 1974, the so called “Smoking Gun Tape” was released. This proved Nixon was in on the whole thing, and resulted in the ten Congressmen who had voted against impeachment to release a statement they would now vote for it. His own lawyers also then realized Nixon had been lying to the country, and later that day the Republican leaders of the House and Senate met with Nixon and told him he was certain to be impeached and convicted. Nixon consented to resigning.

I think Trump's constituency is smaller than his, erm, anti-constituency and that the Democrats would relish a Biden-Trump rerun rather than face a slicker, younger Trump type xenophobe.

5 hours ago, RiG said:

The word 'woke' has lost all meaning now. It now seems to be a word used to describe something someone else doesn't like. 

First heard it on Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

Still the best. 

On 10/06/2023 at 16:38, BTFD said:

I think he can run from prison.

It'd boost his chances.