US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

20 minutes ago, bigmarv said:

“California has a law that allows post birth abortions” Honestly, where do they find these people? 

The first time I went to the USA was shortly before the 2016 election, and of course all the news channels were 24/7 election coverage with the debates etc. It seemed like a joke that Trump was involved at the time. Having the news on in the hotel room at some point most days, it really shocked me how dumbed down the coverage was and even after only 5 days there it had become unwatchable.

I had no real interest in US politics at the time and no idea of the leanings & allegiances of the various channels, but all the main ones like Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc seemed equally as bad. A few years later it had dawned on me that this is actually brainwashing the public in the most literal sense, just propaganda beamed directly into their minds. This is actually their reality and anything that tries to convince them otherwise is probably communist, or something.

50 minutes ago, bigmarv said:

“California has a law that allows post birth abortions” Honestly, where do they find these people? 

What about abortions for 70+ year old nut jobs?

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

The first time I went to the USA was shortly before the 2016 election, and of course all the news channels were 24/7 election coverage with the debates etc. It seemed like a joke that Trump was involved at the time. Having the news on in the hotel room at some point most days, it really shocked me how dumbed down the coverage was and even after only 5 days there it had become unwatchable.

I had no real interest in US politics at the time and no idea of the leanings & allegiances of the various channels, but all the main ones like Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc seemed equally as bad. A few years later it had dawned on me that this is actually brainwashing the public in the most literal sense, just propaganda beamed directly into their minds. This is actually their reality and anything that tries to convince them otherwise is probably communist, or something.

I’ve lived in USA since 1995. Met plenty zoomers in that time. These Trumpers tho, holy crap. 

That couple in the video above are spending their last few years on this planet, raging at a State that’s thousands of miles away because they genuinely believe that mothers are legally allowed to kill their new born babies there. 

its beyond mental. 

5 minutes ago, bigmarv said:

I’ve lived in USA since 1995. Met plenty zoomers in that time. These Trumpers tho, holy crap. 

That couple in the video above are spending their last few years on this planet, raging at a State that’s thousands of miles away because they genuinely believe that mothers are legally allowed to kill their new born babies there. 

its beyond mental. 

I used to laugh at the "eccentricities" of these Americans in terms of education/general knowledge but in recent weeks I've come to the sad conclusion that folk in the UK aren't much better. 

6 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Like you we lived in SF for a while, the USA is the most media isolated country in the world with news outlets reporting on American news only with some overseas items with an American slant.

47 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I haven’t watched the video but I’m not entirely sure how he could spin that to make you not want to read the article. Even if he could do it in a normal voice. 

4 hours ago, bigmarv said:

Now we’re talking :) 

If Harris can win, I hope it's not a narrow victory. That would just give girner Trump another "we wuz robbed" opportunity. She has to knock him into the middle of next week with a big majority in the electoral college.  

Biden winning by 306 to 232 wasn't enough to tell the MAGA nutters to shut the F up. It needs to be bigger.

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If Harris can win, I hope it's not a narrow victory. That would just give girner Trump another "we wuz robbed" opportunity. She has to knock him into the middle of next week with a big majority in the electoral college.  

Biden winning by 306 to 232 wasn't enough to tell the MAGA nutters to shut the F up. It needs to be bigger.

Nah, that’ll just mean the deep state did their boy even dirtier this time round. He stole money from a children’s cancer charity. They don’t care. He’s a rapist. They don’t care. He openly sympathized with those who wanted to lynch his own VP. They don’t care. They’ll whine and whine until the c**t dies. At that point, do they find someone else to whine behind or do they all just f**k off? 

25 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

18 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Nah, that’ll just mean the deep state did their boy even dirtier this time round. He stole money from a children’s cancer charity. They don’t care. He’s a rapist. They don’t care. He openly sympathized with those who wanted to lynch his own VP. They don’t care. They’ll whine and whine until the c**t dies. At that point, do they find someone else to whine behind or do they all just f**k off? 

Any win by Harris ends Trumpism in the Republican Party. If a minority female can beat him, then the GOP will realize they are dead unless they change.

Related, Trump can't win this debate issue. if he skips, ABC has Harris fill the time being interviewed or answering questions, if he shows up, it's on ABC. If his plan is to appear on Fox while Harris is on ABC, he only appears to his base, not the undecided voters.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Any win by Harris ends Trumpism in the Republican Party. If a minority female can beat him, then the GOP will realize they are dead unless they change.

I’d bet reasonable money than in the event of defeat Trump will insist he’s going to run in 2028. They haven’t had the bollocks to stand up to him yet so I’m not sure where they’re growing them from then. They’ll just be praying he does snuff it before it has to become reality. 

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I’d bet reasonable money than in the event of defeat Trump will insist he’s going to run in 2028. They haven’t had the bollocks to stand up to him yet so I’m not sure where they’re growing them from then. They’ll just be praying he does snuff it before it has to become reality. 

He's old and it's catching up on him. Doubt he'll be around in 2028.

11 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

He's old and it's catching up on him. Doubt he'll be around in 2028.

I dunno if that’d be a hindrance mate. It’s well known Bruce Forsyth died about a year before it was made public. They put a wee transmitter under his syrup that played a recording of ‘nice to see you, to see you nice’ that meant he could still do Strictly after they taxidermied him.

Between Trump’s already weird as f**k skin tone and hair, it’d be hard to tell embalming make up. All you’d need would be this thing you can buy off Amazon for $12 - https://www.amazon.com/Fairly-Odd-Novelties-TrumpedUp-Political/dp/B084K8FK6W. It’s entirely doable, I’d reckon. You could even sell new hats that said ‘Make Weekend At Bernie’s Great Again’. If he puts it in his will, I reckon the GOP would still be scared enough of him to run with it. 

Edited by carpetmonster

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

If he loses there will be a number of pretenders desperate to take his place, with Ramaswamy, Desantis and Haley leading the pack.  They will all want to position themselves for a run in 2028.

It depends how quickly the MAGA grass roots morons take to realise that Trump is no longer an asset, the longer they do the bigger the potential internecine battle that will ensue.  The results in the down ballot contests might also determine how quickly other GOP influencers will look for an alternative.

If Haley had not fallen in line she might have had a hope of taking the GOP in a different direction but she’s probably blown that now, so I think they will all just try to paint themselves as the ‘new Trump’ and I don’t see any of them being able to pull that off.

9 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I don’t think he’ll win the nomination for 2028 if he loses in 2024. He’ll be a spent force, with his rabid base smaller than ever and the GOP as a whole having attempted to move more centrally in an attempt to remain electronically viable. The demographics are against Trump over time, as his base skews older, less educated and more religious (https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/07/12/demographic-profiles-of-republican-and-democratic-voters/). With society in the U.S. getting less religious and more diverse, the younger voters coming into the electorate are more and more militant against the policies of the GOP.

Loses to Biden and Harris would make the GOP seek a new figurehead for 2028, and 2026 would then be a very interesting test for revised messaging.

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I don’t think he’ll win the nomination for 2028 if he loses in 2024. He’ll be a spent force, with his rabid base smaller than ever and the GOP as a whole having attempted to move more centrally in an attempt to remain electronically viable. The demographics are against Trump over time, as his base skews older, less educated and more religious (https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/07/12/demographic-profiles-of-republican-and-democratic-voters/). With society in the U.S. getting less religious and more diverse, the younger voters coming into the electorate are more and more militant against the policies of the GOP.

Loses to Biden and Harris would make the GOP seek a new figurehead for 2028, and 2026 would then be a very interesting test for revised messaging.

Maybe. But as one example, they’ve  chosen to ignore Latinos before, both in policy and physically - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-gop-in-danger-from-ignoring-latinos/

Do the GOP have the bottle to reach out to a more diverse spread of the electorate? It’ll require them having some very hard conversations with themselves that I don’t know that they’re capable of. Anyone that might’ve been has been labeled RINO and purged. If I’m black, am I going to vote for John Kennedy while he’s Foghorn Leghorning it up? If I’m female, do I want to be within 500 yards of Matt Gaetz? If I’m sentient, I’m probably going to have lots of issues with Jim Jordan. I think you might be overestimating the ability of the GOP to act in its own best interests.