US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I've done that arithmetic too. You'll occasionally get roasters here claiming that they'd be so much better off if healthcare was privatised because their private health insurance doesn't cost them much; they've no idea how much the existence of the NHS keeps their premiums down.

That’s assuming you even GET health insurance. I doubt I’d get any anytime soon. Just so bad they seem to think going bankrupt because you get sick is somehow acceptable and just what happens.

Just now, Jambomo said:

That’s assuming you even GET health insurance. I doubt I’d get any anytime soon. Just so bad they seem to think going bankrupt because you get sick is somehow acceptable and just what happens.

The nice thing about the ACA is you would get coverage because they can’t do the old preexisting condition shite anymore. However, the costs would be eye watering for anything you considered acceptable.

Harris: here's a very broad overview of what I'd like to do
Trump: I'm saying nothing about what I'd do, but she's bad. Also imergants. I'm not president anymore, it's so unfair!

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

I still can’t get past baby executions 🤣

Please ask an AI to do a picture of baby executions. I have this image of a toddler against a wall, blindfolded with a fag hanging out his mouth.

Edited by TxRover

I don’t think the majority of folks will align with his hellscape sign off. There’s a sports broadcaster called Colin Cowherd - he’s a fairly beige chap and he’s never mentioned politics before - he did a little monologue a couple months back saying what Trump’s saying is not the America he recognizes. I can’t find the video, but this has most of the quotes

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/6/2/2244335/--It-s-not-bad-for-me-Colin-Cowherd-calls-BS-on-Trump-s-anti-America-rants

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Not allowing insurance companies to deny people coverage based on prior history is really Obamacare’s big win. Used to be if you got cancer, the insurance company would pay for the treatment and should you be lucky enough to survive, good luck finding someone who’ll insure you ever again. 

If we hadn’t had insurance, the bill for bringing the boy onto this planet last January (normal birth, not even any anaesthesia, because my wife’s f**king mental and has done both with hypnobirthing) would have been $42k. 

Edited by carpetmonster

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Yeah, my son's great-aunt stayed married to her ex-husband for a decade after they split because she'd have been put off his work health insurance and her heart medication was ludicrously expensive - like, sell everything you own and you still couldn't afford it expensive. As a pre-existing condition, it wouldn't have been covered elsewhere.

Just as well she didn't do anything to piss him off, and his (eventual) second wife was understanding for all that time.

Just now, Jambomo said:

I still can’t get past baby executions 🤣

He's been feeding that shit to his followers for ages. There are dippit auld fools all over the country repeating that they're killing six month old babies in California because the mothers changed their minds. There's no excuse for believing that other than that you want to, which says some very dark things about some of the MAGA crew.

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I don’t think the majority of folks will align with his hellscape sign off. There’s a sports broadcaster called Colin Cowherd - he’s a fairly beige chap and he’s never mentioned politics before - he did a little monologue a couple months back saying what Trump’s saying is not the America he recognizes. I can’t find the video, but this has most of the quotes

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/6/2/2244335/--It-s-not-bad-for-me-Colin-Cowherd-calls-BS-on-Trump-s-anti-America-rants

That's what I kept thinking throughout that - he's describing a post-apocalyptic fantasy that his supporters would like to believe they live in, for whatever twisted reason. Anyone not in the cult is bound to hear that, take a look around at their life and the world around them, and think he's out of his mind.

Just now, BFTD said:

That's what I kept thinking throughout that - he's describing a post-apocalyptic fantasy that his supporters would like to believe they live in, for whatever twisted reason. Anyone not in the cult is bound to hear that, take a look around at their life and the world around them, and think he's out of his mind.

I mean, I live in Chicago; according to the GOP I get murdered every day and twice on Tuesdays. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I mean, I live in Chicago; according to the GOP I get murdered every day and twice on Tuesdays. 

I just watched Death Wish 3 today and his nightmarish vision of America kept reminding me of it  :P

Brilliant alternate reality stuff going on the BBC right now - apparently Trump showed everyone that Harris is a dangerous San Francisco liberal, which I don't think he ever even tried to do, and that Trump had the edge because he's big and she's wee. Oh, and apparently she didn't manage to goad him because he didn't rise to the bait.

I think they're in for a bit of a shock in how this was perceived by the neutrals.

12 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Not allowing insurance companies to deny people coverage based on prior history is really Obamacare’s big win. Used to be if you got cancer, the insurance company would pay for the treatment and should you be lucky enough to survive, good luck finding someone who’ll insure you ever again. 

If we hadn’t had insurance, the bill for bringing the boy onto this planet last January (normal birth, not even any anaesthesia, because my wife’s f**king mental and has done both with hypnobirthing) would have been $42k. 

You're obviously not old enough (in the U.S.) to remember "lifetime benefits caps" (usually about $1,000,000) and that women actually had to buy a rider to cover pregnancy. 

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You're obviously not old enough (in the U.S.) to remember "lifetime benefits caps" (usually about $1,000,000) and that women actually had to buy a rider to cover pregnancy. 

Came over in 2013, although I don’t think Obamacare extends to us yet anyway as we’re not citizens. Should be by this time next year.