US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The late night show hosts don’t need script writers just now, Trump is doing it all for them.

”A dog came up to me the other day; big dog, strong dog, tears running down his cheeks.  Sir they’re eating all my friends, they’re eating the cats and the geese too, it’s so sad…”

Kimmel, Colbert and Myers must be loving this.

Eight years ago, there were comedy writers genuinely bemoaning Trump's move into politics because there was no satirical material there for them - all you're doing is repeating exactly what he's said/done and most of the country either thinks it's perfectly fine, or are horrified that this is a major political figure/their president. Dunno if that's still the case, now that he's heavily switched into writing free-form scripts for Mad Max movies.

We get to switch on and off from it when we fancy, but imagine living there - it would be like being in Japan and having every comedy sketch being about Hiroshima. Last time I was in the US, Trump was still in charge and the news was so depressing...just a daily list of "here are the things our president lied about today" being read out by people who looked like they were suffering from PTSD.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Eight years ago, there were comedy writers genuinely bemoaning Trump's move into politics because there was no satirical material there for them - all you're doing is repeating exactly what he's said/done and most of the country either thinks it's perfectly fine, or are horrified that this is a major political figure/their president. Dunno if that's still the case, now that he's heavily switched into writing free-form scripts for Mad Max movies.

We get to switch on and off from it when we fancy, but imagine living there - it would be like being in Japan and having every comedy sketch being about Hiroshima. Last time I was in the US, Trump was still in charge and the news was so depressing...just a daily list of "here are the things our president lied about today" being read out by people who looked like they were suffering from PTSD.

Chill bro…

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Chill bro…

I was going to say it would be like being in Rwanda and every comedy sketch ending with, "remember when we all hacked each other to death with machetes?" but that seemed a little overblown.

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

He’s visibly unraveling before our eyes yet almost 50% of registered voters are going to vote for him.

I f**king despise a large proportion of US citizens.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He’s visibly unraveling before our eyes yet almost 50% of registered voters are going to vote for him.

I f**king despise a large proportion of US citizens.

It’s the natural consequence of voters who vote party lines/tickets. I the U.S. it is amplified due to the lack of any viable third party option. Votes with Republican/Democrat tendencies become effectively programmed into reliable little voting bots, and the challenge becomes getting those bots to actually vote each time. Donald is, like it or not, the standard bearer of the Republican Party, and a large percentage of those good little bots are going to (if necessary, hold their noses and) vote Republican. If you want to hate someone/something, hate a Party that has absolutely sold its soul for power to an extent possibly not seen before in the modern era.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

He says "you believe this?" an awful lot, which ought to be a red flag to anyone that they're being lied to.

I think it's him letting slip that he can't believe that they're all willing to pretend they believe it.

48 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Maybe someone’s f**king with his account again

IMG_4526.png

That's f**king hilarious, but hacking is not "typing a few plaintext words into a password box until you discover the account owner is a moron".

We could do with cutting this shit out, actually. Far too easy for people to cop out with "I've been hacked!" when the truth is that they're a dipshit who couldn't be arsed to use a password more complicated than "watp1690" for their sectarian Facebook account.

On 11/09/2024 at 20:43, HTG said:

92 - 8 ... Deluded old c**t 

Think if they asked Newsmax viewers who were also Registered Republicans, and who happened to he members of Trump's inner circle, they'd still struggle to get 92-8. Why does he do this. Why not "well a lot of people think I won, you can't please everyone but I think maybe 55-45 is what I'm hearing"? His ego is so big and yet so fragile it's mental anyone could vote for him yet I still have him as slight favourite to win. America is a failed state.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

It’s the natural consequence of voters who vote party lines/tickets. I the U.S. it is amplified due to the lack of any viable third party option. Votes with Republican/Democrat tendencies become effectively programmed into reliable little voting bots, and the challenge becomes getting those bots to actually vote each time. Donald is, like it or not, the standard bearer of the Republican Party, and a large percentage of those good little bots are going to (if necessary, hold their noses and) vote Republican. If you want to hate someone/something, hate a Party that has absolutely sold its soul for power to an extent possibly not seen before in the modern era.

At the last GE in the UK the turnout was significantly lower than in 2019.  This was due in large part to Tory voters not turning out to vote.  Republicans have that option in November but there’s no indication that they’re going to exercise it.

In response to Trump’s claims about pets being eaten in Columbus, OH…yesterday they got a bomb threat at the City Hall. The town is supposedly dealing with pet eating, illegal Haitian cartels and the answer is a bomb threat to the city? Shows the kind of people he attracts.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

At the last GE in the UK the turnout was significantly lower than in 2019.  This was due in large part to Tory voters not turning out to vote.  Republicans have that option in November but there’s no indication that they’re going to exercise it.

The racist c**ts will be out in full force, the open question is the more moderate R’s and some I’s.

33 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think if they asked Newsmax viewers who were also Registered Republicans, and who happened to he members of Trump's inner circle, they'd still struggle to get 92-8. Why does he do this. Why not "well a lot of people think I won, you can't please everyone but I think maybe 55-45 is what I'm hearing"? His ego is so big and yet so fragile it's mental anyone could vote for him yet I still have him as slight favourite to win. America is a failed state.

It's just because he can. There's never been a downside to him just making up the rules of his own reality as he goes along. We could all do this if our fathers had been wealthy and we were mentally damaged.

26 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

It is very strange how The Lincoln Project appear to be Good Guys with the Democrats purely because they want rid of Trump.

I suppose the same thing's happened here - Labour occupying the old Tory centre ground while the actual Conservative Party is away exploring how far right it can go before people come to their senses.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

It is very strange how The Lincoln Project appear to be Good Guys with the Democrats purely because they want rid of Trump.

I suppose the same thing's happened here - Labour occupying the old Tory centre ground while the actual Conservative Party is away exploring how far right it can go before people come to their senses.

Spoiler

Jeb Bush was supposed to be the Republican candidate in 2016, if we remember. Trump humiliated him and the Republican establishment. Trump did that by motivating the masses to vote for him in the Republican primaries. We hate how he motivated those masses, its not to be celebrated that he did it, but he did do it and it was a democratic triumph over an establishment (the Republican party establishment).

That's the origins of why David Frum, Bill Kristol, Dick Cheney and the Lincoln Project are against Trump. These figures are opponents of democracy. They don't want it in their nation and certainly not in their party. You've likely read or heard the common line from Republican Party supporters that "USA is not a democracy, it's a constitutional republic". Here's a quote from Republican Party activist Steven Crowder (Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJmogy9d6U)

The United States has never been a democracy. Pure democracy is one of the greatest evils, Benjamin Rush wrote. Pure democracy is mob rule. Pure democracy is; the mob of the majority can infringe upon the rights of the minority.

The minority they're talking about are property owners and their "right" to own eg. the health care facilities in society. Democratic "mob rule" could transfer those health care facilities into collective ownership.

The electoral college system is all about this rights of the minority stuff. Its a Republican party institution. The constitution is used to enforce minority rights. An example is that it has been declared constitutionally unlawful to cap electoral spending. Perversely, the first amendment ("freedom of speech" to disproportionately influence elections) was used to justify this. This tweet gives a flavour of how wide-ranging the use of the first amendment is in curtailing the American masses' control over their own governance:

Going back to Jeb Bush in 2016, he was from an establishment dynasty within his party. Like his brother and dad he was a representative of the two most powerful lobbies, the arms industry lobby and the fossil fuel industry lobby. It really stung them when he lost. Notice that the thing the #NeverTrump Republicans criticised Biden most for was his decision to implement the Trump policy of pulling the US military out of Afghanistan? The arms industry didn't like that.

#NeverTrump Republicans like Dick Cheney talk about Trump not respecting election results as if they're above that. Well Cheney's and Bush's "January 6th" actually worked. Republican Party operatives, all flown in especially from outside Miami, made sure the Florida recount was hampered in 2000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot).

The #NeverTrump Republicans are backing Harris for entirely self-interested reasons related to control of their own party. Yet its not just that. They're also "contaminating" her, as that excerpt above put it. Biden angered a lot of the donor class with his relatively progressive policies so they're going harder this time.

Reply far too long so hid it. It always looks fine on desktop but then I see it on my phone. 

Edited by Freedom Farter