US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

28 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I said tv news. 

We were talking about Fox.

Pretty sure we were talking about where Trump supporters get their information from.

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Most Americans will get their TV news from their local station.

Some Americans, no where near most. TV anything is increasingly low numbers…much like newspapers (electronic or physical).

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, local news seems to be a much bigger thing in the US than it is here (understandably, considering we're the size of a single state).

But yeah, saying Fox News is easily the most popular news source in America is like saying the Daily Heil is the most popular newspaper here - it's a very small section of the population who actually watch/read them. The bigger problem is how their tendrils extend on to the internet, subconsciously influencing reasonable people into thinking that certain things are "facts" because they keep seeing them pop up in their social media feeds. You can only hope the generations who've never known a world without the internet will be more savvy.

The news market here is incredibly fragmented, even more so with social media, crank sites like Infowars.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

According to Google most get their news from social media which of course begs the question as to which sources are feeding the social media.

Again, I’d be willing to bet even that’s not a “most”, but another “some” or maybe a “many”.

41% of Americans say they watch Cable News “everyday”. The physical numbers just don’t support that, much as they don’t support the 57% that say they watch local news “everyday”. People lie to seem more connected/educated/knowledgable. Studies show people getting their news from social media are less knowledgeable, so we’re snowballing our way to real life Idiocracy.

I worked with an educated workforce. In 1988, newspapers were all over the lunch room, the TV in it had four channels, and was on for sports, national news and local news. In 2003, newspapers were present on Sunday and Monday (both mainly for the sports sections) and the TV had a small cable package…news was common, sports was more common. In 2018, newspapers were absent and the TV was on FOX, CNN or MSNBC whenever sports weren’t available…but the change was a reflex by people arriving when no one was there, very few were actually watching it.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Some Americans, no where near most. TV anything is increasingly low numbers…much like newspapers (electronic or physical).

The news market here is incredibly fragmented, even more so with social media, crank sites like Infowars.

Again, I’d be willing to bet even that’s not a “most”, but another “some” or maybe a “many”.

41% of Americans say they watch Cable News “everyday”. The physical numbers just don’t support that, much as they don’t support the 57% that say they watch local news “everyday”. People lie to seem more connected/educated/knowledgable. Studies show people getting their news from social media are less knowledgeable, so we’re snowballing our way to real life Idiocracy.

I worked with an educated workforce. In 1988, newspapers were all over the lunch room, the TV in it had four channels, and was on for sports, national news and local news. In 2003, newspapers were present on Sunday and Monday (both mainly for the sports sections) and the TV had a small cable package…news was common, sports was more common. In 2018, newspapers were absent and the TV was on FOX, CNN or MSNBC whenever sports weren’t available…but the change was a reflex by people arriving when no one was there, very few were actually watching it.

I did say TV news.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I did say TV news.

And I pointed out it’s certainly less than 50%+1 given the viewership numbers. We’re all on the same general page here, it’s an increasingly dumb society with lots of toys that explode and destroy things, oh, and nukes.

The good news is “American Exceptionalism” has made it both easier and more fun to troll the tourists.

Edited by TxRover

Need to get Biden in a care home asap. Get his second in command taking over or whatever puppet there is. You cannot have the leader of the free world shitting his nappy on the world stage. 

Terrifying times as we head towards WW3. IMO.

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Need to get Biden in a care home asap. Get his second in command taking over or whatever puppet there is. You cannot have the leader of the free world shitting his nappy on the world stage. 

Terrifying times as we head towards WW3. IMO.

Thank you.

The US has already had multiple incontinent presidents, including Donald J. Trump. Some of them have even burped or vomited on visiting dignitaries. Some were entirely unable to control their genitals, like the Brass Eye Senator.

An inability to keep bodily functions to themselves doesn't seem to be much of a bar to the highest office in the land.

Trump challenges Biden to a cognitive test.  Claims he aced the cognitive test he was previously given.  Then gets the name of the doctor who administered the test wrong!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/16/trump-gets-name-of-his-doctor-wrong-as-he-challenges-biden-to-cognitive-test

Meanwhile Trump couldn’t stop rambling when meeting business leaders.  Anyone who has watched even a few minutes of his MAGA rallies must realise the guy’s brain is mush but you’d imagine he’d try to keep it together for this type of forum.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/trump-reportedly-couldnt-keep-thought-062419147.html

What’s sad, yet not surprising, is that he rarely talks about policy, just his persecution, windmills and sharks.  You’d imagine there must be some potential Republican voters out the who actually want to know what he’ll do if he wi s a second term.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

What’s sad, yet not surprising, is that he rarely talks about policy, just his persecution, windmills and sharks.  You’d imagine there must be some potential Republican voters out the who actually want to know what he’ll do if he wi s a second term.

I think you’re giving him too little credit and he could be proposing policy via a series of cryptic clues, like Ted Rogers on 3-2-1. 

In that scenario, if we’re looking at windmills and sharks, then a place famous for windmills is Holland. They’re also famous for Ruud Gullit, which if you mispronounce, sounds like ‘gullet’. Now you wouldn’t want to shove a shark down your gullet unless you’re in Iceland, where they eat that pickled stuff. Iceland is famous for geysers, and also Bjork, who’s in turn famous for lamping a paparazzo. Given Trump’s antipathy towards the press, I think what he could be saying policy wise is ‘Joe Biden’s an old geezer. Give me the gig and I’ll negotiate Bjork in a cage match with Anderson Cooper’ - which also makes sense when he’s close to Dana White and turns up at a load of UFC events. 

That’s a much more compelling proposition to me than decarbonizing the power sector, banning assault rifles or maintaining public education, TBQHWY. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I think you’re giving him too little credit and he could be proposing policy via a series of cryptic clues, like Ted Rogers on 3-2-1. 

In that scenario, if we’re looking at windmills and sharks, then a place famous for windmills is Holland. They’re also famous for Ruud Gullit, which if you mispronounce, sounds like ‘gullet’. Now you wouldn’t want to shove a shark down your gullet unless you’re in Iceland, where they eat that pickled stuff. Iceland is famous for geysers, and also Bjork, who’s in turn famous for lamping a paparazzo. Given Trump’s antipathy towards the press, I think what he could be saying policy wise is ‘Joe Biden’s an old geezer. Give me the gig and I’ll negotiate Bjork in a cage match with Anderson Cooper’ - which also makes sense when he’s close to Dana White and turns up at a load of UFC events. 

That’s a much more compelling proposition to me than decarbonizing the power sector, banning assault rifles or maintaining public education, TBQHWY. 

^^^ Jesse Watters wannabe.

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Guilty. It’s always been a dream of mine to have my mother call in to my live TV show and tell me to stop being an arsehole. 

As opposed to just texting you as she does now?

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

As opposed to just texting you as she does now?

It’d be preferable. Someone - I suspect my niece - has shown her how to get emojis on WhatsApp and now her screeds are barely readable between hearts and cartoon babies and smiley faces. 

Trump's brain is mush, but likely just because it's been many decades since he's needed to focus on anything other than whatever's running through his mind at the time. Not many of us are ever in the situation where we can just start rambling garbage at work knowing not just that it won't just affect us negatively, but that the people there have to listen and won't tell us to GTF.

Plebs like us have to use P&B for such power trips.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Trump's brain is mush, but likely just because it's been many decades since he's needed to focus on anything other than whatever's running through his mind at the time. Not many of us are ever in the situation where we can just start rambling garbage at work knowing not just that it won't just affect us negatively, but that the people there have to listen and won't tell us to GTF.

Plebs like us have to use P&B for such power trips.

Pretty much this.

He can stand there shouting MUBTUMBO and all the MAGA morons will cheer him on without thinking this guy is a bit deranged.

IMO he'd be banned from P&B already but he might end up back as President.

5 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Pretty much this.

He can stand there shouting MUBTUMBO and all the MAGA morons will cheer him on without thinking this guy is a bit deranged.

IMO he'd be banned from P&B already but he might end up back as President.

If he ever makes Div an offer for the site, I hope he's smart enough to insist on payment in full before handing over the keys to the hot tub.

It's a sorry state of affairs when we need to debate which of the 2 presidential candidates has less mushy peas between the ears.

Trump has definitely been on the slide since 4 years ago, but Biden is so far gone it's just cruelty at this point. By continuing with him as the nominee, the Democrats are essentially telling us that the mental competence of the president doesn't actually matter. There are almost daily videos of him at events being led around by the first lady or even by other foreign leaders.

If the Dems are confident that this is their best guy for the job then good luck to them, but at the same time they'll absolutely deserve it if Trump gets in again.

29 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It's a sorry state of affairs when we need to debate which of the 2 presidential candidates has less mushy peas between the ears.

Trump has definitely been on the slide since 4 years ago, but Biden is so far gone it's just cruelty at this point. By continuing with him as the nominee, the Democrats are essentially telling us that the mental competence of the president doesn't actually matter. There are almost daily videos of him at events being led around by the first lady or even by other foreign leaders.

If the Dems are confident that this is their best guy for the job then good luck to them, but at the same time they'll absolutely deserve it if Trump gets in again.

That's my take on it, just terrible to watch, got a family member with the same condition, does his family not give a f**k about him?

Awful.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Let’s see what happens in the debates.  I reckon Biden will show an understanding of domestic and foreign policies which will far exceed Trump’s who in turn will rant on about inconsequential nonsense and conspiracy theories.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Let’s see what happens in the debates.  I reckon Biden will show an understanding of domestic and foreign policies which will far exceed Trump’s who in turn will rant on about inconsequential nonsense and conspiracy theories.

That'll probably be the final nail in Biden's coffin.