US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That has nothing to do with the French elections “offering a roadmap”.  Nothing at all.

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Did you expect anything else?

The reality is the media frenzy generated by the “Biden is too old” narrative traces back to Right-leaning outlets actions, including heavily edited videos.

This has taken away the coverage of Trump, which is what the Republicans want, not what Trump wants.

The is he/isn’t he coverage of luminaries and leaders debating Biden is playing into the hands of the Right. Instead there needs to be a move to get everyone on the same page, and this issue will shrink and the focus can be turned back on Donald and his issues. The hypocrisy of the NYT Op-Ed calling on Biden to step down while not having demanded the same of Trump after conviction, is breathtaking. Mitch froze for 30 seconds and had to be guided away and rebooted…did they demand he step down?

I don’t think any of them are fit for the Offices they are in or seeking…but you run what you brung.

Edited by TxRover

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

The reality is the media frenzy generated by the “Biden is too old” narrative traces back to Right-leaning outlets actions, including heavily edited videos.

This has taken away the coverage of Trump, which is what the Republicans want, not what Trump wants.

The is he/isn’t he coverage of luminaries and leaders debating Biden is playing into the hands of the Right. Instead there needs to be a move to get everyone on the same page, and this issue will shrink and the focus can be turned back on Donald and his issues. The hypocrisy of the NYT Op-Ed calling on Biden to step down while not having demanded the same of Trump after conviction, is breathtaking. Mitch froze for 30 seconds and had to be guided away and rebooted…did they demand he step down?

I don’t think any of them are fit for the Offices they are in or seeking…but you run what you brung.

The NYT will be read by Democratic voters who are probably viewing Biden's every move and utterance with growing alarm.  As for their failure to condemn Trump, well they'd be preaching to the converted.

The fact is, Trump is going to be on the ticket so if you don't fancy again him in the White House the task becomes how you stop that happening, and I'm guessing that most of the American electorate votes with their gut over charisma tables.

Treating Biden like a pissed uncle at a wedding and hoping that no-one notices seems a very high-risk strategy to me.  As for Mitch McConnell, despite his long career in high-level politics he isn't in the same ball-park in this debate.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

The reality is that the Biden is a geriatric incompetent line traces back to his directly observable actions, not excluding a national TV debate. 

But aye it's just a conspiracy run by the Big Bad Meeeeee-dia again. 🤡

On 07/07/2024 at 07:03, Granny Danger said:

We are heading for a very dark place in our history.  The far right on the rise in Europe, Putin’s aggression in Ukraine, a genocide of the Palestinians that the world is pretending isn’t happening*, and a doddery old man’s ego handing Trump a second term in the world’s most powerful country.

As someone raised in the period following WWII I honestly never thought we’d be here again, but people seem incapable of learning.

* shout out to ROI and Spain for being willing to be that exception.

Add to it even our so called ‘labour party’ moving so far to the right that they have become Murdoch’s party of choice and are espousing political positions which wouldnt sound too out of touch if they came from David Camerons 2010 tory regime. The world is becoming a horrible dark place. You are completely right that we are seeing a return to the political conditions which saw the rise of fascism and nazism.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

The reality is that the Biden is a geriatric incompetent line traces back to his directly observable actions, not excluding a national TV debate. 

But aye it's just a conspiracy run by the Big Bad Meeeeee-dia again. 🤡

Yep, the idea of anyone deflecting this as some kind of ageist bigotry is utterly mind blowing. Biden is clearly clearly lacking in capacity. If anything i think the circumstances are being under reported if anything. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yep, the idea of anyone deflecting this as some kind of ageist bigotry is utterly mind blowing. Biden is clearly clearly lacking in capacity. If anything i think the circumstances are being under reported if anything. 

Nope, it was blaming the media for trumpeting this while noting the same kind of flaws, freezes and rambling anecdotes by Trump are ignored, plus an Op-Ed for one and not the other. Both of the "candidates" are clearly impaired, and I would absolutely agree the Trump episodes are underreported, the Biden ones are getting reporting now. Both will be literal figureheads for the people with their hands moving their mouths, but Trump adds his own insane venom as well.

Note the reporting on the Republican Platform, suggesting they've softened on abortion...bulls**t. The AP got the story right, they're pushing the 14th Amendment for Fetal Personhood at the State level, which contradicts their own platform on IVF, and makes no sense as State laws cannot contradict the Constitution...so if they are suggesting the 14th supports the States doing this, they actually mean nationwide.

It's not a conspiracy as much as incompetence and failure to report, and instead regurgitate.

Of course the Republicans and right leaning media will exaggerate Biden's decline, that's politics. But that's what it is - an exaggeration - it isn't a flat out lie. This is only going in one direction too, it's not like he will suddenly start to improve in this department. 

And whilst I'm praying for a Biden victory, I do think it's irresponsible of  the Democrats, and Biden himself, to have put himself forward again. Just because the Republicans have - yet again - been even more irresponsible doesn't change the fact.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I'd tend to agree and the kindest thing friends can do is gently point it out. Getting muddled up and repeating words is a clear indicator. 

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

Nope, it was blaming the media for trumpeting this while noting the same kind of flaws, freezes and rambling anecdotes by Trump are ignored, plus an Op-Ed for one and not the other. Both of the "candidates" are clearly impaired, and I would absolutely agree the Trump episodes are underreported, the Biden ones are getting reporting now. 

Trump's mental faculties were directly comparable to Biden on live TV a week ago. Absolutely everyone with functioning senses could judge that only one of these two garbage candidates is also fucking senile. 

You and your increasingly desperate, liberal echo chamber can keep telling yourselves that the Meeeeee-dia is somehow responsible for that, but it's fooling absolutely no-one else.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Not really relevant is it?  Hillary Clinton kicked Trump’s arse with the popular vote.

It all comes down to about seven states.  That’s where the polls are relevant.

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not really relevant is it?  Hillary Clinton kicked Trump’s arse with the popular vote.

It all comes down to about seven states.  That’s where the polls are relevant.

These ones ?

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

These ones ?

Yip.

We complain about FPTP but the Presidential elections with the electoral college system is just as undemocratic.

Whereas the election of Senators is an out and out farce.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yip.

We complain about FPTP but the Presidential elections with the electoral college system is just as undemocratic.

Whereas the election of Senators is an out and out farce.

I’d say the system of Senators is the farce, much like the Lords. Two per State, period. Also consider the average representative has between 500,000 and 1,000,000 constituents…the average MP has between 58,000 and 75,000 constituents. Each States two Senators represent between 735,000 and 39,000,000 people.

15 hours ago, sophia said:

I'd tend to agree and the kindest thing friends can do is gently point it out. Getting muddled up and repeating words is a clear indicator. 

You’re absolutely right. Donald has been doing just that, messing up names, countries and pronunciations for months now…oh, wait, you meant Biden.

17 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Of course the Republicans and right leaning media will exaggerate Biden's decline, that's politics. But that's what it is - an exaggeration - it isn't a flat out lie. This is only going in one direction too, it's not like he will suddenly start to improve in this department. 

And whilst I'm praying for a Biden victory, I do think it's irresponsible of  the Democrats, and Biden himself, to have put himself forward again. Just because the Republicans have - yet again - been even more irresponsible doesn't change the fact.

The problem with the media is they now run with stories that’ll sell themselves, rather than looking for a story in events as they used to. Investigative journalism is pretty much dead. Trump was the focus while he was on trial. The adroit use of doctored videos caused attention to shift to Biden, and then they snowballed, while ignoring nearly the exact same stuff from Trump, because that won’t sell right now. Trump’s camp needs to make sure the attention remains on Biden, so they desperately want him to remain in the race, if only to keep the latest Epstein news and underage rape allegation off the front pages. I’m wondering if the play isn’t to start attacking Bill Clinton for the Epstein data, knowing that Fox and OAN will jump on it like catnip, and then start pushing the news Trump is in there even more.

As for responsible/irresponsible, there’s a whole lot of calculus that goes into these kind of decisions, and it started a few years ago. It seems clear that Biden would have stepped down of Trump hadn’t run again. It is also clear that there is huge power and advantage in incumbency. The incumbent President has lost, since 1951 (two term limit ratified), in 1976, 1980, 1992 and 2020. The common factor is recession, without a recession the incumbent wins…which is also one of the “Keys” mentioned above. In a recession, the incumbent party is generally doomed regardless, so the decision to run Biden was made several years ago as a “duh” decision, before the more obvious elements of decline were evident. The stupidly long process for nomination and election is what then contributed to this issue.

The longer Biden refuses to withdraw the worse it’s going to look if/when he does.

There definitely appears to be an increased groundswell of opinion that he should go.

The Dems should be polling in the swing states to see who would be the best replacement and just go for them but if Biden withdraws I can see personal ambition being put ahead of what’s in the best interests of the country.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The longer Biden refuses to withdraw the worse it’s going to look if/when he does.

There definitely appears to be an increased groundswell of opinion that he should go.

The Dems should be polling in the swing states to see who would be the best replacement and just go for them but if Biden withdraws I can see personal ambition being put ahead of what’s in the best interests of the country.

That's even more undemocratic. 

Some of the podcasters (TNA, TRIP types) reckon it will be clear by this Sunday that Auld Joe will have had his visit from the Democrats men in grey suits and that he will step down after that.

Although she's not been great as VP I still reckon Harris would beat Trump who shows his own signs of cognitive failure (his capacity for word salad as he fails to answer any question is alarming) and he will no doubt do and say many stupid things in the run-up to November.