US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

54 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Some of the podcasters (TNA, TRIP types) reckon it will be clear by this Sunday that Auld Joe will have had his visit from the Democrats men in grey suits and that he will step down after that.

Although she's not been great as VP I still reckon Harris would beat Trump who shows his own signs of cognitive failure (his capacity for word salad as he fails to answer any question is alarming) and he will no doubt do and say many stupid things in the run-up to November.

I get the feeling that some of the most ardent Biden backers are also big Hillary Clinton fans. They say Harris is a no-hoper on account of her gender. Of course Harris will face a sexism penalty but she is not Hillary Clinton. These folk refuse to accept how unpopular Clinton was as an individual.

The Democratic machine seems so immovable and entrenched that I have the feeling that this will drag on until the Dem conference. If they are going to change they need to change now, let the story burn out and when Dem conf happens in August the new candidate can outline there plan and get all the headlines with that. That would be pretty much perfect and give them a good chance of winning.

If they go into the dem conf still in the stage they are in now , it would be difficult to win 

Edited by ScotiaNostra

12 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

The Democratic machine seems so immovable and entrenched that I have the feeling that this will drag on until the Dem conference. If they are going to change they need to change now, let the story burn out and when Dem conf happens in August the new candidate can outline there plan and get all the headlines with that. That would be pretty much perfect and give them a good chance of winning.

If they go into the dem conf still in the stage they are in now , it would be difficult to win 

Ideally Biden will withdraw in a week or so and allow a couple of contenders to emerge and put their cases before battling it out at conference. The issue has already sucked the oxygen of publicity out of Trump's campaign, he'll be raging, and the conference will be proper box office.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Ideally Biden will withdraw in a week or so and allow a couple of contenders to emerge and put their cases before battling it out at conference. The issue has already sucked the oxygen of publicity out of Trump's campaign, he'll be raging, and the conference will be proper box office.

From what I've been reading, its realistically only Biden or Harris. There is scope for a third candidate but the number of hoops needing jumped through for that to happen make it unlikely. It's mostly to do with campaign funding rules, I think.

Will Barry O'Bama step up to help his old mate Biden out and assume his candidacy. They could sell it as a act of kindness between good friends and play the sympathy card and wheel out BIden to take the teary plaudits for his brave battles and his undying love for Old Glory and the UUUUSSSSSSofAAAAAAA.

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

I get the feeling that some of the most ardent Biden backers are also big Hillary Clinton fans. They say Harris is a no-hoper on account of her gender. Of course Harris will face a sexism penalty but she is not Hillary Clinton. These folk refuse to accept how unpopular Clinton was as an individual.

Clinton fans (it's a weird term, but I don't think it's inaccurate) like to wail about sexism while on the other hand making gender the central theme of her candidacy. A terrible candidate and, if Donna Brazile is to be believed (and I see no reason not to) a corrupt one too. 

6 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Will Barry O'Bama step up to help his old mate Biden out and assume his candidacy. They could sell it as a act of kindness between good friends and play the sympathy card and wheel out BIden to take the teary plaudits for his brave battles and his undying love for Old Glory and the UUUUSSSSSSofAAAAAAA.

He did that last time in the primaries. Sanders was winning and Obama called the other leading candidates and asked them to drop out. Their votes (being democrat votes) went to Biden.

55 minutes ago, velo army said:

Clinton fans (it's a weird term, but I don't think it's inaccurate) like to wail about sexism while on the other hand making gender the central theme of her candidacy. A terrible candidate and, if Donna Brazile is to be believed (and I see no reason not to) a corrupt one too. 

Aye, I'd thought that myself about Harris, actually. Clinton's slogan was "I'm with Her", thus making gender central, as you say. Harris will know how stupid an idea that was and won't repeat the error. 

4 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I’m not a fan of Hillary Clinton by any means but she won the popular vote quite comfortably.  If the U.S. Presidential system wasn’t as fucked as FPTP is in the U.K. then she would have been President.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not a fan of Hillary Clinton by any means but she won the popular vote quite comfortably.  If the U.S. Presidential system wasn’t as fucked as FPTP is in the U.K. then she would have been President.

Aye there's a lot of griping about that, but it's not as if they opted for an electoral college system as a last minute throw of the dice. The Democrats bitch about the popular vote but managed to lose Wisconsin for the first time since the 90's as well as a few other rust belt states. That's meat and drink for the Democrats and they didn't even campaign up there. Utterly fucking mental levels of entitlement. 

If the electoral system was a bit better you wouldn't have such a thing as closed primaries meaning that Bernie Sanders (who was absolutely trouncing Trump in pre-primary polls) would have stood a much better chance of winning the nomination.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye there's a lot of griping about that, but it's not as if they opted for an electoral college system as a last minute throw of the dice. The Democrats bitch about the popular vote but managed to lose Wisconsin for the first time since the 90's as well as a few other rust belt states. That's meat and drink for the Democrats and they didn't even campaign up there. Utterly fucking mental levels of entitlement. 

If the electoral system was a bit better you wouldn't have such a thing as closed primaries meaning that Bernie Sanders (who was absolutely trouncing Trump in pre-primary polls) would have stood a much better chance of winning the nomination.

The Electoral College cannot be defended because of how long it has been on the go any more than FPTP can.

In an election for an individual position such as President there is no fairer option than the person who wins the popular vote is the winner.

21 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The longer Biden refuses to withdraw the worse it’s going to look if/when he does.

There definitely appears to be an increased groundswell of opinion that he should go.

The Dems should be polling in the swing states to see who would be the best replacement and just go for them but if Biden withdraws I can see personal ambition being put ahead of what’s in the best interests of the country.

They have, the answer swings between no one, Michelle Obama, and now a possible glimmer of light with Harris.

8 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Nope, ineligible. Two terms and done, thanks to the 22nd Amendment.

7 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Aye, I'd thought that myself about Harris, actually. Clinton's slogan was "I'm with Her", thus making gender central, as you say. Harris will know how stupid an idea that was and won't repeat the error. 

There’s a couple of interesting dynamics here. Harris is polling pretty well versus Trump, and now Schumer is doing his best to give Democratic candidates ammunition. They just voted on the Reproductive Freedom for Women Act, which the Republicans voted down en masse. Once again, putting them on the record versus what they say they believe. The Senate now has had about three or four of these sorts of votes, compelling the Republicans to record an actual vote that can be used against them. You can hold up their vote against women without making women the central tenant of the race. And Trump certainly has his own troubles with women.

Now we’ll see if they can get them on record as advocating against Griswold vs Connecticut, which would really hurt Trump and the Republicans with the younger demographic (it’s what codified birth control as legal…tell a 18-30 year-old male that his condoms or his girlfriends pills are about to become illegal, and see which way he votes).

9 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

From what I've been reading, its realistically only Biden or Harris. There is scope for a third candidate but the number of hoops needing jumped through for that to happen make it unlikely. It's mostly to do with campaign funding rules, I think.

The highest hurdle is the campaign funds, as they go to Harris if Biden drops out.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The Electoral College cannot be defended because of how long it has been on the go any more than FPTP can.

In an election for an individual position such as President there is no fairer option than the person who wins the popular vote is the winner.

I agree with this, but I'm not arguing for the Electoral College, I'm saying that it shouldn't even have gotten to that. The Democrats were entitled and complacent and got their arses well and truly handed to them. Winning the popular vote in this case is the Craig Brown "won on corners" consolation.