2023-24 Challenge Cup

Buckets

9 minutes ago, embow said:

Falkirk v TNS

Raith v Airdrie.

Pick the bones out of these two semis.

Reeks of a TNS vs Raith final, which is literally the worst of all of the permutations.

ETA extra plus spelling

Edited by cb_diamond

Settled nicely in the narrow stand and it's a game where somehow it was a no score draw with both sides missing chances, the woodwork, and some excellent saves by the goalies ( Rae was busier in second half).

Smashing penalty shoot out and Morton probably feel aggrieved at losing, but them's the breaks.

On to a prospect of a decent semi final in February and for once I hope Falkirk turf out the other lot. 

The flooded area just outside the wee Dublin exit summed up a rotten day of weather but a marvelous result for the Diamonds.

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

They gave County home advantage more or less when Connah's Quay got to the final, put it at Caledonian Stadium giving the visitors an 800-mile round trip. Hopefully much the same this time too, it's a Scottish trophy after all.

Don't be silly, they will just fly up. With CT getting a 4 hr bus ride.

Adjacent stadium to Raith or Airdrie. EEP it must be.

PS Airdrie were good at the penalties today and we missed big Robbie's automatic conversion. Feck knows how this game ended 0 v 0 but a good game and gives us a bit of hope that there is a way back to the Championship pack.

5 hours ago, embow said:

Falkirk v TNS

Raith v Airdrie.

Pick the bones out of these two semis.

Don't think either game will be guaranteed.

On final,   Airdrie v falkirk-  Livi looks certain  TNS vs airdie, Hamilton or broadwood,    TNS vs raith, Falkirk or Livi. 

Raith vs falkirk- probably the venue with the most controversy,  everyone is screaming out for EEP but I think its far from certain.   The ground itself splits quite well,  but we've had issues between our fans and both sides,  particularly falkirk which made our fixture vs them given a huge police presence,  categorized the same as an OF.   I could see a big police objection and as a grass pitch I'm not sure our BoD are immediately seeing it as financially worth while either.   Livi or McDiarmid stand in.

3 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Don't be silly, they will just fly up. With CT getting a 4 hr bus ride.

Adjacent stadium to Raith or Airdrie. EEP it must be.

PS Airdrie were good at the penalties today and we missed big Robbie's automatic conversion. Feck knows how this game ended 0 v 0 but a good game and gives us a bit of hope that there is a way back to the Championship pack.

I agree with your assessment of the game today and it's a long season. Thought your wee left winger contributed a great deal and in general the second half was yours until we could have won it with the late counter attacks. 

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’m not negative, I’m realistic. He was the player directly between Zanatta and the goal, and his block attempt was weak, so IDK. Again, you telling me to support young players is rich. Sorry that your son, er, Hannah, is a young and inexperienced player, but get a grip on reality, please.

Maybe you should stick to baseball

26 minutes ago, spot on said:

Maybe you should stick to baseball

Maybe you should look at your biases and recognize you are the one overboard here. There’s nothing wrong with liking a young player, and they do deserve playing time, where it is appropriate. Hannah is rightly behind nearly everyone in the squad, and is using that time well to learn the ways of being a professional player. Every person at the club says he’s knuckling down and learning every training session, which is great. But bigging him up to the extent you have shows you have a dog in this fight.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Maybe you should look at your biases and recognize you are the one overboard here. There’s nothing wrong with liking a young player, and they do deserve playing time, where it is appropriate. Hannah is rightly behind nearly everyone in the squad, and is using that time well to learn the ways of being a professional player. Every person at the club says he’s knuckling down and learning every training session, which is great. But bigging him up to the extent you have shows you have a dog in this fight.

I haven’t bigged him up at all mate, I’ve never said he should be starting games or even getting any more game time,  you started this by knocking him down before a ball was kicked and without having seen him play when at the time there was no mention of him even playing in the game so don’t k ow why the need to bring him into the conversation.

My initial objection was to your my  tone about a player that you knew nothing about.
The players read social media too you seem to forget that, what does this do to a young players confidence. FWIW  I have no connection to the player but feel that you are being too critical of a young player that you know very little about and had not even  seen him play to be in a position to pass comment on never mind a critical one.

8 hours ago, spot on said:

I haven’t bigged him up at all mate, I’ve never said he should be starting games or even getting any more game time,  you started this by knocking him down before a ball was kicked and without having seen him play when at the time there was no mention of him even playing in the game so don’t k ow why the need to bring him into the conversation.

My initial objection was to your my  tone about a player that you knew nothing about.
The players read social media too you seem to forget that, what does this do to a young players confidence. FWIW  I have no connection to the player but feel that you are being too critical of a young player that you know very little about and had not even  seen him play to be in a position to pass comment on never mind a critical one.

1) Watched him play the one time he got on the pitch. Complimented his play after that match.

2) Have listened to a number of people that know him describe his experience level.

3) Listened to the manager describe the rate at which he’s learning and how much more he has to learn.

4) There had already been discussion of moving Dick inside (and playing McGill at LB for a couple of games BECAUSE Hannah was lacking experience) when Murray got his red.

5) Simply said a vastly more experienced player, who has started for years at this level, would take advantage of him.

If you think for a second that that suggestion would harm Hannah’s feelings or wellbeing, you’re the one over reacting. I’m sure he was both excited and terrified coming on in the second half, and he KNOWS he’s got a ton of stuff to learn to play regular time at this level. Likely the first thing IM said to him when he told him he was going on was remember what we’ve discussed this week about Tumilty…and then Dick surely bent his ear too.

I strongly believe in getting the young players experience and playing time, BUT there has to be a time and place. This last match was NOT planned to go that way, and you could hear the relief in IM’s voice when he talked about why Hannah came on and how he did.

Watch the Accies goal, and you’ll see Hannah was caught out by Zanatta…and was not the only one, true enough…but you can see he takes a bit more time to process than a more experienced player. That’s why facing a vastly experienced RB was a thing that IM probably didn’t want to roll out Hannah for, and why Masson came on with Dick staying wide left to start, even though Masson was potentially (and turned out to be) carrying a niggle.

If the Accies had not lost a player after 8 minutes, I’m sure they would have continued to push hard down the right with Tumilty trying out Hannah, so that was certainly a blessing for us, and for Hannah. This game gave him some confidence where it could have been a real downer.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

1) Watched him play the one time he got on the pitch. Complimented his play after that match.

2) Have listened to a number of people that know him describe his experience level.

3) Listened to the manager describe the rate at which he’s learning and how much more he has to learn.

4) There had already been discussion of moving Dick inside (and playing McGill at LB for a couple of games BECAUSE Hannah was lacking experience) when Murray got his red.

5) Simply said a vastly more experienced player, who has started for years at this level, would take advantage of him.

If you think for a second that that suggestion would harm Hannah’s feelings or wellbeing, you’re the one over reacting. I’m sure he was both excited and terrified coming on in the second half, and he KNOWS he’s got a ton of stuff to learn to play regular time at this level. Likely the first thing IM said to him when he told him he was going on was remember what we’ve discussed this week about Tumilty…and then Dick surely bent his ear too.

I strongly believe in getting the young players experience and playing time, BUT there has to be a time and place. This last match was NOT planned to go that way, and you could hear the relief in IM’s voice when he talked about why Hannah came on and how he did.

Watch the Accies goal, and you’ll see Hannah was caught out by Zanatta…and was not the only one, true enough…but you can see he takes a bit more time to process than a more experienced player. That’s why facing a vastly experienced RB was a thing that IM probably didn’t want to roll out Hannah for, and why Masson came on with Dick staying wide left to start, even though Masson was potentially (and turned out to be) carrying a niggle.

If the Accies had not lost a player after 8 minutes, I’m sure they would have continued to push hard down the right with Tumilty trying out Hannah, so that was certainly a blessing for us, and for Hannah. This game gave him some confidence where it could have been a real downer.

🥱🥱🥱

On 18/11/2023 at 07:15, Salvo Montalbano said:

No objection from me. Seems a decent choice if that happens. 

Why would the Pars be at boiling point? I don't think many folk give a shiny shite tbh. I'd actually maybe go along as a neutral and sit in the Main Stand as it has the potential to be a decent game if both sides are still in decent form. Only possible issue would be if fans tried to break seats or whatever, but we'd just bill the club responsible. We've hosted a League Cup semi back in the old terracing days, some Scotland youth/under 21 games and the Junior Cup final. I'd imagine the Pars board would be quite pleased to think that the ground was deemed suitable for such a game, rather than being at boiling point. We could always get Jim Leishman to be part of the presentation party at the end for additional banter.

I asked someone #ITK about it back when Dundee United and St Mirren were playing in the final and EEP was rumoured, at the time our pitch was fucked and the board weren't interested in the slightest. 

Not sure if attitudes would have changed now, no idea why any Pars fan would be "boiling" about it, odd statement. Any damage to the ground just gets charged to the offending club.

I'm not sure the police would be keen though, there's been incidents against both Falkirk and Raith in our last games against them.