Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I went to Porto in between Seville and Lille and watched their game v Slovakia in a bar with a bunch of Portuguese guys who surprisingly were really downbeat and thought their team wasn't good enough to challenge England and France next year and they benefited from an easy group. They really aren't sold on Martinez either.

Understandable. The squad that Belgium had ridiculously underperformed.

I still drool looking at their 2018 World Cup squad.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Understandable. The squad that Belgium had ridiculously underperformed.

I still drool looking at their 2018 World Cup squad.

I think their underperformance under Martinez is way overblown tbh. They were excellent in 2018 and came up against an even better team in the semis.

At Euro 2020 they skooshed their group, beat Portugal in the 2nd round and again narrowly lost to the eventual winners.

They did underperform at the World Cup but the quality of the squad was definitely on the downturn by that point. Lukaku also missed about 4 sitters in that Croatia game.

7 hours ago, DC92 said:

I think their underperformance under Martinez is way overblown tbh. They were excellent in 2018 and came up against an even better team in the semis.

At Euro 2020 they skooshed their group, beat Portugal in the 2nd round and again narrowly lost to the eventual winners.

They did underperform at the World Cup but the quality of the squad was definitely on the downturn by that point. Lukaku also missed about 4 sitters in that Croatia game.

Belgium for me should have won euro 2020 (or at least gotten to the final). They lost to the eventual winners Italy like you said, but that Italy team weren’t particularly good and only won the tournament because the two decent teams they played both folded like a pack of cards due to tactically inept managers Martinez and Southgate.

To be honest the last two euros winners (and 3 of the last 5) shitfested their way through the tournament. 

59 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Belgium for me should have won euro 2020 (or at least gotten to the final). They lost to the eventual winners Italy like you said, but that Italy team weren’t particularly good and only won the tournament because the two decent teams they played both folded like a pack of cards due to tactically inept managers Martinez and Southgate.

To be honest the last two euros winners (and 3 of the last 5) shitfested their way through the tournament. 

Nah. Italy were a really good watch at that tournament and scored some brilliant goals. Loved watching Spinazzola and Chiesa down the left in particular. They an out of steam a bit towards the end and had to rely on their defence more but it's a nonsense to say they shitfested it.

40 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Nah. Italy were a really good watch at that tournament and scored some brilliant goals. Loved watching Spinazzola and Chiesa down the left in particular. They an out of steam a bit towards the end and had to rely on their defence more but it's a nonsense to say they shitfested it.

They got out of a simple group with Turkey, Italy and Switzerland. Then needed extra time to beat Austria who we know from first hand experience are no great shakes. Then beat Belgium, a far more talented team than Italy who didn’t turn up at all. Spain completely outplayed them in the semi final and Italy managed to shitfest it to penalties and beat them in the shootout, then they beat a much better England team also in a shootout (mainly thanks to Southgate not stepping on their throat when they were 1-0 up and had them under the cosh)

12 hours ago, Donathan said:

They got out of a simple group with Turkey, Italy and Switzerland. Then needed extra time to beat Austria who we know from first hand experience are no great shakes. Then beat Belgium, a far more talented team than Italy who didn’t turn up at all. Spain completely outplayed them in the semi final and Italy managed to shitfest it to penalties and beat them in the shootout, then they beat a much better England team also in a shootout (mainly thanks to Southgate not stepping on their throat when they were 1-0 up and had them under the cosh)

Their group was no easier than normal and they won it easily, scoring freely and playing some great football.

They were well on top against Belgium until the penalty award and Spinazzola's injury but saw the game out fine.

They had to dig in against Spain but ultimately they beat them the same way any team beats Spain.

They were the better team for the majority against England in the final.

They did make heavy weather of the Austria game but it's rare for a team to go through the whole tournament without the odd scare. In fact, it's hard to find many recent tournament winners who haven't gone through any (Brazil v Turkey 2002, Italy v Australia 2006, Spain v Switzerland/Chile/Paraguay 2010, Germany v Ghana/Algeria 2014, France v Australia/Denmark 2018, Argentina v Saudi/Australia 2022).

Their win was much more alike the teams listed above than a Portugal team that didn't win a game until the semis or a Greece team that was built entirely on not conceding.

Edited by DC92

So what route is everyone taken to Germany? 

We were supposed to book Edinburgh - Cologne via Eurowings but never bothered. Price has shot up by £270 since then. 

We are now doing 

Edinburgh - Bristol - Cologne 

Cologne - Venice - Edinburgh 

coming in a lot cheaper than going direct to Germany 

2 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

We were supposed to book Edinburgh - Cologne via Eurowings but never bothered. Price has shot up by £270 since then. 

We are now doing 

Glasgow - Amsterdam - Frankfurt 

Frankfurt - Amsterdam - Glasgow 

Edinburgh 

1 hour ago, Connor7 said:

We are now doing 

Edinburgh - Frankfurt then train to Essen. Booked up after Georgia game. Flights have doubled since then

My plan has always been to hold off until December when we know more info. It's great having it in a relatively close country with such great travel and infrastructure that you feel relaxed about booking. 

I'm not saying the price won't go up or that, but there are just so many options of where to head and stay with good transport systems throughout. 

Hoping for somewhere reasonably touristy. Have never been to Germany, so be brilliant to get out and about exploring on the non match days.

4 hours ago, Connor7 said:

We are now doing 

Edinburgh - Brussels Flight for £25

Brussels -Cologne train £20 roughly 

Cologne -Paris train £40 roughly

Paris -Glasgow £50 

18 hours ago, DC92 said:

Imagine having Vincent Kompany, Moussa Dembele, Kevin de Bruyne and Eden Hazard (all around their peaks) in your team and ever losing. I can't compute.

7 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

My plan has always been to hold off until December when we know more info. It's great having it in a relatively close country with such great travel and infrastructure that you feel relaxed about booking. 

that's what we're doing. Our digs are booked but nae travel sorted yet.

Got a question about the uefa ticket portal. Say I put in for some tickets now and win tickets for a game. What happens if Scotland are then drawn to play that same day but in a different city? Is there an option to then sell the tickets back to then try go for Scotland tickets via the portal? I won’t get tickets through the sfa. 

29 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Got a question about the uefa ticket portal. Say I put in for some tickets now and win tickets for a game. What happens if Scotland are then drawn to play that same day but in a different city? Is there an option to then sell the tickets back to then try go for Scotland tickets via the portal? I won’t get tickets through the sfa. 

I'll take them.

Nah I think you can send them back, but I'm not sure. I read somewhere that you have to buy all or none of the tickets you're successful with. 

Hoping that you're right though and we can resell in the event we're elsewhere.