Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

1 hour ago, Halfwit8 said:

What happened to Kane O'Conner ?

Believe it was an ACL injury in a pre-season friendly.

Poor result on Saturday, although I liked Malcolm's seethe-ridden post-match interview and it only reinforces the idea for me that he's one of two capable managers we've had in my time supporting the club.

I suspect that Malcolm shares most of the frustrations of the fans. We've not really done much over the summer transfer-wise so to go into the new season with a key signing for the system out long-term, dealing with a threadbare squad laden with suspensions and other injuries, and with the same strikeforce as last season must be exhausting. It couldn't be much clearer at this point that only Buchanan is really up to the level needed to challenge up top, but clearly our budget hasn't stretched to addressing the issue. Hopefully the loan market can help, but others really need to step up too. 

This time last season we lost our opener and went on to win 4 and lose 4 of our opening 8. As Malcolm pretty much touches on in his interview, you can't afford to lose many games in this league and we need to make a big improvement on last season's start. Our early fixture list is relatively kind too, so if we fail to dramatically improve on that we're probably in for another nothing year.

Two games played, nil point.

I don’t quite jolt with SM seething on Saturday. Bluster. He picks and ‘manages’, he can’t wait too late to use subs, then blame them for not getting a draw. I mean a draw? What is he on about. He should have been telling them at half time we have to win! If he thinks this quad, the same rough squad we had last time, can play for draws he is very much mistaken. We are losing to the mid table sides we simply have to beat. Wheel out the excuses as much as you like, we are in for a long shitty season playing this crap. Christ, it’s only game two..

I get why Stevenson came in, but another baffling decision to bench Cummings. 

6 points lost and it's not yet the end of July. O'Connor's loss is a massive blow, but if we hadn't signed perennial under achievers in the Baker's, Harris and Allan, we'd have a few more options. 

And now we have at least 2 more injuries to deal with. 

I was quitly optimistic, but in just  4 days It's all gone horribly tits up. 

23 minutes ago, sammyreidloyal said:

Everyone very quiet. Not a lot on the book of face or X as it’s now known( what the actual…)?
Is a point from nine acceptable, or is it a lifebelt that we may cling to later down the line?

From Doon sarf, with that, I'm sorry I can see the season is over all ready, Injuries, lack of goals, way the wind is going. who knows.

But obviously not being able to get to many games, I can note, Club Website still showing main news Baker signs from June now over a month old. Facebook showing forever the optimists looking at the glass half full,  Elon Musks hobby, (yes I know its voluntary) sporadic updates at very best. but as I say Im thankful for small mercies.

New kit, maximum size dropped another notch to 3XL ( Boob tube for me then), 

The early optimism I had has now long since vanished, I just can't get enthused now, and really hoping  I get booked to work next Saturday on the East Midlands Gateway. so I'm otherwise occupied rather than wind myself up.

Over 400 there yesterday - better than in our last season in the SPFL. But 1 point from 9 is unlikely to have new fans queuing at the turnstiles anytime soon. 

Taylor was back yesterday and McCormack will be available in a few weeks, also a clean sheet and a better display generally. Some usually nailed on players dropped to the bench for being shite midweek too. That's all the good news, folks. 

We still pass like blind men, have nobody to support Buchanan up front, and have a bench that is as potent as a Chinese curry. 

As for the various social media outlets mentioned above, I think the Twitter feed on matchdays is excellent, though fan reaction is rare. Not many fans on here, either, as many migrated to Arsebook only to find that any critical comment is met with ridicule/vilification by people who, against all available evidence, are convinced that they are funny. 

On 24/07/2023 at 10:19, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Believe it was an ACL injury in a pre-season friendly.

Poor result on Saturday, although I liked Malcolm's seethe-ridden post-match interview and it only reinforces the idea for me that he's one of two capable managers we've had in my time supporting the club.

Just curious, and my knowledge of Berwick Rangers goes back 35 years, but who was the other one? 

2 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

Another Draw snatched out of the jaws of victory !!!

Christ this is gonna be a long season

Terrible. Third of the team are excellent, third of the team are OK journeymen, third of the team are just utterly shite. So, we play each game with great gaping holes of uselessness somewhere on the pitch. 

16 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Thought he'd be a real asset for Cowden. Was great for us in L2.

Decent player though was maybe not quite ever fully fit. I guess he just wasn’t what the new manager was looking for, and maybe best for all he loved on.

Apparently he was excellent in Cowden’s win at Berwick at the tail end of last season, presumably why Berwick are having a look at him.