Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

Comfortable win for the Rose and could have been 2 or 3 more. Disappointed with Berwick - kicked lumps out of everything that moved and that pitch is a disgrace.

6 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Comfortable win for the Rose and could have been 2 or 3 more. Disappointed with Berwick - kicked lumps out of everything that moved and that pitch is a disgrace.

Given the weather we have had they did well to get the game on, what were you expecting the pitch to be like??

7 hours ago, To B or not B said:

Given the weather we have had they did well to get the game on, what were you expecting the pitch to be like??

Cut ?

7 hours ago, To B or not B said:

The pitch surprised me because I expected it to be wet and to cut up easily, but it was firm and held up throughout the match. Well done to them for that. What really surprised me though was how long and tussocky the grass was. Maybe it's because they haven't been able to get machinery on the pitch as it's been too wet. Weirdly it might have allowed the game to be played to a finish because, on a plastic pitch or a surface like a bowling green, you'd never have been able to stop the ball rolling away when it was put down for a set piece. I think that was the main reason the game at Meadowbank was abandoned.

While I'm here I'll say Berwick is one of my favourite away trips, it's a unique and beautiful place. I went down early for a mooch around, drove over the Lammermuirs on the way, the missus came down by train later and we had a wander and fish suppers. Good crowd yesterday too, I think they said 483. Looking forward to many more trips in years to come. 

14 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Still smarting from Berwick beating your other team back in the day🤷‍♂️ MoanyBear strikes again.

Lost me with this one !

Pitch was terrible, surprised how long the grass was.

On 06/04/2024 at 18:18, FuzzyBear said:

Such a shame to see shielfield in such a mess, was always one of the better surfaces.

It's a gluepot

1 hour ago, hunter said:

Pitch was terrible, surprised how long the grass was.

Such a shame to see shielfield in such a mess, was always one of the better surfaces.

It's a gluepot

Careful - some joker who wasn't at the game will be along soon to say you are just moaning.

18 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

I think he equates the 🐻 part as you being a Rangers fan 🤣🤣

Surely f***ing not. I can take being called a lot of things but I draw the line at a Rangers fan !!!

28 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Surely f***ing not. I can take being called a lot of things but I draw the line at a Rangers fan !!!

Apologies Fuzzy. Got it wrong so have deleted my post. 

On 05/04/2024 at 22:07, Redcar said:

Listened to it. His departure from Berwick bears no resemblance to what I heard at the time. 

Won't say any more as I may have been misinformed, and it's all irrelevant now anyway. 

If you don't mind me asking mate, what was the sentiment at the time? I'm genuinely curious as I'm not a Berwick man myself, interested to know what you guys all thought back then. Regardless, I'm happy I could shed a wee bit of light on it for you all from the man himself.

1 hour ago, charliewheelen said:

If you don't mind me asking mate, what was the sentiment at the time? I'm genuinely curious as I'm not a Berwick man myself, interested to know what you guys all thought back then. Regardless, I'm happy I could shed a wee bit of light on it for you all from the man himself.

You obviously deserve the courtesy of a reply, but I wasn't referring to the fans so it's not my place to say any more. Let's just say that I don't think the dressing room was the happiest place back then.  

As for the fans, Pat Scullion's departure wasn't met with great sorrow. He had several decent games and some absolute stinkers - some of them laughably bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

End of an eventful season at Berwick. Sadly, most of the events happened off the pitch and pre-season optimism soon fizzled out. 13th of 18 isn't what we hoped for.

But... there is definitely a feel-good factor about the club once again, under the new Chairman and the new Manager. Our best players have re-signed and the fans are looking forward to next season. Rumours of a few decent signings add to the anticipation.

Crowds are on the up -regularly over 400. (510 at Shielfield yesterday helped by a decent following from Albion). I looked randomly at a game in 2013 - when we got into the Div 2 playoffs - and we had 456 there in March against Queens Park. 

It's all fairly healthy looking now and the ladies team are smashing records in their 1st season.  Just need to win a few more games next season!

Okay to ask how our four loanees got on?

Bailey Klimionek, Joe Ellison, Scott Bright, and Jackson Mylchreest.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Okay to ask how our four loanees got on?

Bailey Klimionek, Joe Ellison, Scott Bright, and Jackson Mylchreest.

I'd love Berwick to sign all 4 to be honest.

Bailey played in lots of different positions and would probably have benefitted from some consistency in terms of the number on his back. Always put a decent shift in and became a key player for us when we lost some of the squad mid-season. Still only 18.

Think the others are only 17! Scott Bright did well at full back, but his age (and some competition from more experienced people in our squad,), maybe meant he was on the bench more than he deserved. Bright by name, and bright on the pitch too. 

Jackson Mylchreest has a real big future ahead of him. Often led our line when Buchanan wasn't available and scored (I think) 9 or 10 times. Goalscorers are gold dust and he is likely to be in demand higher up the leagues next year. 

For me though, the pick was actually Joe Ellison. Plays with real confidence and absolutely loves a tackle. Great to watch and never let us down.

Please release them all and tell them to sign for a club that appreciates them!

16 hours ago, Redcar said:

Here's Jackson scoring after 9 seconds on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/LC6HaPA5QjF1QtQR/

Didn't realise Rovers Kicked off ! Makes it even worse for us ! LOL. 

""We've clocked that at 9.18 seconds - if you believe Wikipedia, that's the 79th fastest goal in the history of football!!…""