Craig Brown

57 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

My earliest football-related memories are watching Craig Brown's Scotland team at the 1998 World Cup - and thinking that I would get to see Scotland at many World Cups.

RIP to a legend of Scottish football.

_118827583_gettyimages-1179909834.jpg.3a5d4bbd1d848ecb5ad61de739b506fa.jpg

That's a fantastic picture. He was the manager for all my earliest (and best) memories of the Scottish National team. Greece '95, Austria '97 and obviously the World Cup.

As many have said, he was the first Scotland manager that I recall in my lifetime. Euro 96 and France 98 will be ingrained in my memory forever.

As a young 8/10 year old I just naturally assumed those were the norm.

I've always had a soft spot for those Scotland teams and for Craig Brown in general.

A sad day for Scottish football. RIP.

I was nine in 1990 and before the World Cup in Italy Craig Brown and Andy Roxburgh did a wee series of events across Scotland talking about the upcoming tournament and the opponents and qualifying.  I think it must've been for local Scotland supporters clubs but my dad was editor of the local paper at the time so got tickets and took me along to a hotel in Aviemore to hear them.  I don't remember much about it but I do remember that at one point they played a video from training of Craig Brown walking on his hands on teh training pitch and they got people to predict how long he could do it for.  I was probably the only kid there so they got me to predict, I went for ten steps and he got nine so Craig Brown gave me a Tartan Special watch.  He was very nice to everyone and especially me as a wee boy. 

He was also an underrated manager for Scotland.

Sad news. Iconic figure.

I bought his autobiography some years ago

413VE781Q5L._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Craig Brown is respected in football, yet he remains elusive. This is his story, from his playing days for Falkirk, Dundee, to the drama of the 1996 European Championships and Scotland's World Cup campaign.

and read with increasing anticipation of its climax at France 98.

Only on reaching the end did I realise it was published May 1998 :lol:!

A thoroughly decent human being, in a game blighted with cheating, gamesmanship very little honour. Brown was a bastion of all that is fair, honest, decent, highly respected and rightly so.

A sad day for Scottish football.

But at least Richard Gough can breathe easy his secret is safe

Sad day, first Scotland manager I remember and did well with the squad he had.

I remember my 9 year old self being so excited to get my autograph book back with his and other signatures after the Scotland squad trained at Somerset park.

Craig Brown was a successful Scotland manager, but he was also a quietly spoken thoughtful man and dealt with the job in a similarly low-key matter of fact way. He was the international team’s longest serving manager too, which probably says it all. Serious and accomplished when it came to explaining things to the media, he also had a sense of humour, with a twinkle in his eye at times (which I picture when I think of him!) Not a ‘big’ personality, as some managers, he left it to his  teams to do the ‘talking’ on the park. He said, “I hope I will be remembered for (through his teams) playing the game fairly and properly.” (Not something that lots of managers are most concerned with nowadays, unfortunately!)

Condolences to his family and friends on their loss.

DH

Edited by Don Kneelcaster

Very sad news.

A guy was just telling me he wrote to Craig asking why certain players weren't in the national squad - Craig took the time and trouble to call the guy at home to explain his selections - I think that one anecdote says a lot about the kind of man he was.

Rest in peace, Broon.