Women's World Cup 2023

Swarley

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Shite! It's gone past midnight and I'm too tired to post a full match review. 

DSC_2286.JPG

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I think that review is bang on the money. 

I agree entirely that the one word review nailed it. Viva Espana

This is turning into a waking nightmare.

They might as well film 2023 SPOTY now. DA MIGHTEE LIONESSES Team of the Year. Wossername Wiegman coach of the year. Entire squad of DA MIGHTEE LIONESSES share SPOTY. Programme presented by Alex wotsit and several other former MIGHTEE LIONESSES. If any of the are born abroad, or failing that, the Isle of Wight, she gets Overseas Sportswotsit of the Year. The youngest is Young SPOTY. And they get all the BRIT awards, BAFTAs and the Booker as well.

I like the Lionesses.  I also like the Spanish.  They stayed in Marlow for the Euros and were very nice.  My daughter had a summer job at their hotel, and she said they were so nice to her, that she started supporting them (she was born in Wycombe)!

I'll be honest and say that I think I prefer the atmosphere at womens tournaments.  

May the best team win!

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

I do like the lack of crowd nastiness at women's internationals.

That was my main pickup and of course its due to the makeup of the crowd. A vast mix of all ages and genders. That said there was a woman sitting a couple of rows behind me who shouted "SEND HER BACK TO ENGLAND" whenever one of their players committed (yet another) foul. And there was a good bit of booing as the England team did their lap at the end of the game.

On the game. As I said last night, shite! This country has been absolutely buzzing since the France game. They've performed above expectation and FIFA ranking but there's going to be this feeling of an opportunity missed. A home World Cup with a group of players at their peak. We'll doubtfully see the former again, at least in my lifetime and it will be years until we see the latter.

England's game plan was fairly simple. Commit fouls to stop any flow, slow the game right down by wasting as much time as possible and then pumping long balls down the lines from their full backs to get the Australian full backs going backwards.  They did it for the whole game and it worked for them. The crowd were hopeful when the ref booked an England player early but there were too many subsequent fouls that went unpunished. The England goals were well taken. The 1st was a wonderful strike, and I was sitting right behind the goal in that corner, but it was criminal that she had time and opportunity in the box. The 2nd Carpenter get in a muddle and shoulda, woulda, coulda cleared but didn't. The 3rd Australia had gone 3 at the back to try to get an equaliser and it was poor defending by players not used to playing centre half.

Australia's goal, I've not heard a roar like that for many, many years. Piss poor defending to let Kerr run from her own half and not challenge her but a quality finish. And then chances at the end to make it 2-2 especially the Kerr volley. I think that'll be the end for Gustavsson as they'll start to examine how the team have performed. Finishing 3rd or 4th is a fantastic achievement but some of the performances and tactics during his tenure, not just at the World Cup, have been questionable. He's a likeable person but maybe not head coach material.

The hope is that football in Australia uses this as a springboard and goes onto bigger and better things. Unfortunately, the people in charge are a bunch of muppets so it'll no doubt be an opportunity squandered. Vamos España.