#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Big Ange is one of these guys that can’t not like. It’s also enjoyable as so many fans basically slated him sayijg he was coming from a diddy league. Obviously the standard in the English premier league is better than the spl. That’s down to money. However, as mentioned earlier, when you are the manager of Celtic and rangers, you are expected to win every game. There isn’t the same pressure down in the English premier league where most top teams are happy with finishing in the top 4. 

I think a good coach is a good coach, no matter what league they are coaching in. It's being able to deal with pressure, and have the force of personality to get the best out of players with big egos. 

1 hour ago, lau03143 said:

I think a good coach is a good coach, no matter what league they are coaching in. It's being able to deal with pressure, and have the force of personality to get the best out of players with big egos. 

Being able to deal with big egos will be a bigger part of the job the further up the game you go. 

If you're managing Real Madrid it's basically the principal requirement. 

1 hour ago, lau03143 said:

Probably have to agree with this. I think maybe the difference as you go up the levels might be speed of decision making, communication skills.

I watched a video talking about the role of Artificial intelligence in substitutions where the narrator suggested that more substitutions would be made before half-time with the reasoning being that as soon as the AI realise that there is a combination that improves the teams chances of success then it will make or recommend a change be it in minute 65 or minute 25.

40 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Probably have to agree with this. I think maybe the difference as you go up the levels might be speed of decision making, communication skills.

I watched a video talking about the role of Artificial intelligence in substitutions where the narrator suggested that more substitutions would be made before half-time with the reasoning being that as soon as the AI realise that there is a combination that improves the teams chances of success then it will make or recommend a change be it in minute 65 or minute 25.

I’ve never understood why more subs aren’t made either at half time, or at least around the 50th-55th minute.

Too many managers think a 15 minute cameo is sufficient to change the outcome of a match. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’ve never understood why more subs aren’t made either at half time, or at least around the 50th-55th minute.

Too many managers think a 15 minute cameo is sufficient to change the outcome of a match. 

I think in the present day the reasoning behind substitutions and so on are probably well thought through, pre-planned, situation specific and maybe data/AI supported, kind of like set plays. The reasons might not be clear to fans, but there will be reasons and well considered planning around subs certainly the further up the football food chain you go.

To get back on point. I think the speed of decision making and understanding what is changing in a game quicker and those kinds of things maybe get harder the higher up the game you go.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, Aufc said:

Obviously the standard in the English premier league is better than the spl. That’s down to money. 

It seemed obvious to me that Postecoglou would do well down there, the only thing that took me a bit by surprise is how quickly Spurs adapted to his methods.

But then I suppose better players leads to them picking it up quicker.

I think they'll do very well this season.

4 hours ago, lau03143 said:

And yet, time and again, the English premiership clubs continue to overlook Yogi Hughes. 

6 hours ago, Aufc said:

Big Ange is one of these guys that can’t not like. It’s also enjoyable as so many fans basically slated him sayijg he was coming from a diddy league. Obviously the standard in the English premier league is better than the spl. That’s down to money. However, as mentioned earlier, when you are the manager of Celtic and rangers, you are expected to win every game. There isn’t the same pressure down in the English premier league where most top teams are happy with finishing in the top 4. 

This is true but it only applies in Scotland, they get routinely beat in Europe and there is no pressure at all put on them, in fact they get a free pass when they should be receiving more pressure to actually take on someone with as much resources as them (some teams have more financial advantage but there are still plenty who have the same or less and they get no pressure to beat them). If you are a 1/20 favourite most weeks there is pressure to win but it almost always takes a monumental effort from their opponent and severe bad luck on their part to not win in the SPFL.

I don't buy this romantic idea that playing for the OF is like nowhere else and it takes special players to handle it. The same pressure applies to Dundee Utd in the championship or any SPFL team drawing a team from lower leagues in the cups where there is an overwhelming favourite.

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Rangers getting 20 million or whatever it was for Bassey is incredible from them, I thought at the time it was mental from Ajax but also thought well it’s Ajax and they’re a very well run club. I’ve been proven very right on point one and very wrong on point two. 

I didn't see any of his games at Ajax, but given that they sold him for about the same amount they paid for him he must have done well enough there? 

Outrageous performance from him last night, was lucky not to get the hattrick of chucked goals.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I didn't see any of his games at Ajax, but given that they sold him for about the same amount they paid for him he must have done well enough there? 

Outrageous performance from him last night, was lucky not to get the hattrick of chucked goals.

I didn’t see any but I did see that their fans seemed to hate him, plus 20m is pennies to English clubs these days, so I don’t think them getting their money back means much. 

21 hours ago, ahemps said:

This is true but it only applies in Scotland, they get routinely beat in Europe and there is no pressure at all put on them, in fact they get a free pass when they should be receiving more pressure to actually take on someone with as much resources as them (some teams have more financial advantage but there are still plenty who have the same or less and they get no pressure to beat them). If you are a 1/20 favourite most weeks there is pressure to win but it almost always takes a monumental effort from their opponent and severe bad luck on their part to not win in the SPFL.

I don't buy this romantic idea that playing for the OF is like nowhere else and it takes special players to handle it. The same pressure applies to Dundee Utd in the championship or any SPFL team drawing a team from lower leagues in the cups where there is an overwhelming favourite.

As much as I hate the old firm, it’s completely different pressure from playing for Dundee United. 

On 24/10/2023 at 12:16, Darren said:

It seemed obvious to me that Postecoglou would do well down there, the only thing that took me a bit by surprise is how quickly Spurs adapted to his methods.

But then I suppose better players leads to them picking it up quicker.

I think they'll do very well this season.

They might win as cup. No chance of winning the league though.

59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye Spurs aren't winning the league with that squad.  They'll be third behind City and Liverpool IMO.

They'll definitely be behind Arsenal IMO.

Will be interesting to see if Levy gives Ange the funds to actually buy better players to fit the system though.

On 24/10/2023 at 14:04, ahemps said:

Haven't you heard crowds in other countries don't make noise and they don't have media. It's a goldfish bowl in a presure cooker here.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

They might win as cup. No chance of winning the league though.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Aye Spurs aren't winning the league with that squad.  They'll be third behind City and Liverpool IMO.

Based on Spurs' history – they last finished as high as fourth AND won a major trophy more than 40 years ago – that'd be an exceptional season. Finishing third in itself would be a very good achievement, they haven't done that for a few seasons. 

I'll predict they'll be top four at the very least, wouldn't be surprised if they finish third or higher, and they've got as good a chance as most in the FA Cup.