Two seasons in

3 minutes ago, Stants1902 said:

We dont call it greater govan either 

Before we end up arguing about nothing my fellow Ant a bit of context.

The discussion was about St.Cadocs seniors setting up 8miles from their home.

A poster from the East stated Partick Th. dont play in Partick. I piped in, regrettably in hindsight, pointing out using my 2 teams Lok and Ants, that neither play in the area that I personally would consider Pollok or Govan but are definitely the local teams for that area.

Growing up in the Southside many decades ago now, Newlandsfield was in Shawlands or Newlands depending on where the line is. And Fulbar was in Shieldhall. 

If boundaries or whatever have changed then so be it. To me and mine the 50 pitches were in Shieldhall.

Ants are Govan and always will be. Don't want my ancestors coming after me. All were Ants people.

12 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

If I recall correctly St.Cadocs and Harmony Row basically swapped let's last season. This season as Harmony Row are now Giffnock SC are playing at Eastwood High. If I'm wrong Arthurlie1981 will definitely know as my source back home has fed me incorrect info recently.

Giffnock SC have taken over Harmony Row and lease their new base at Auldhouse in Thornliebank, but also have the pitch next to and used by St Ninians High School called Eastwood Park (in Giffnock) which was part funded by East Ren Council. St Cadocs training base is Eastwood High School in Newton Mearns.

2 minutes ago, Southside Sons said:

Giffnock SC have taken over Harmony Row and lease their new base at Auldhouse in Thornliebank, but also have the pitch next to and used by St Ninians High School called Eastwood Park (in Giffnock) which was part funded by East Ren Council. St Cadocs training base is Eastwood High School in Newton Mearns.

Cheers my man. I really should stop commenting on this. Left Pollok in 1985 never returned. Live in Kirkcudbrightshire now. 

But still interested in all the clubs and areas I grew up in. At least there are plenty on here who will happily correct me. 😀😀

22 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Cheers my man. I really should stop commenting on this. Left Pollok in 1985 never returned. Live in Kirkcudbrightshire now. 

But still interested in all the clubs and areas I grew up in. At least there are plenty on here who will happily correct me. 😀😀

Plenty of local derbies if St Cadocs can sort a home stadium in Newton Mearns. I guess this depends on the council granting planning permission despite some local opposition. The other grounds more local (Neilston, Pollok, Barrhead) are grass pitches so probably why they have ended up at Benburbs.

8 minutes ago, Southside Sons said:

Plenty of local derbies if St Cadocs can sort a home stadium in Newton Mearns. I guess this depends on the council granting planning permission despite some local opposition. The other grounds more local (Neilston, Pollok, Barrhead) are grass pitches so probably why they have ended up at Benburbs.

It's sad to me when a local club try to better themselves and you get all the NIMBY crowd jumping in to prevent it. It won't help St.Cadocs seniors get any kind of a fan base or proper roots if they don't return to The Mearns. Plus how long will the Ben's put up with a lodger.

You just have to compare Caley Locos with Gartcairn. One, nomadic who have become a nothing club almost, to one who are based in their local town that are thriving. Clubs need to think long and hard before committing to go senior.

There are decent recent examples: Thorn, Easterhouse, Kilsyth, Glenvale, BSC all in their local area and from what I've witnessed flourishing at all levels within the club.

If we are looking at this as taking stock 2 years in here are a couple of things I think the league need to look at over the next few years and address.

• Ground improvements across all levels
  • Encouraging clubs to make better use of media/film games
  • Work to improve the SCC (I know work is already ongoing with this)
  • Encourage all clubs to allow kids in for free
  • Further development of community clubs

52 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

If we are looking at this as taking stock 2 years in here are a couple of things I think the league need to look at over the next few years and address.

Does this not already happen?

1 hour ago, Johnstonian said:

That was me initially and hence the inverted commas 😂👍🏼

I understand what you meant by it. Had the same in Greater Pollok which covered Priesthill, Nitshill, Househillwood, Corkerhill and probably a couple of others. 

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Does this not already happen?

Think it varies jb been to grounds where it is under 16's others it's under 12's. Dont pay attention to be certain if there are those that charge kids. Most kids at grounds just seem to wander in tbf.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

2 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

There you go being sensible again. Surprised you've lasted as long on here. 😄😄

I'm a big fan of the media angle. For me the WOSFL should be aiming to set up a YouTube channel were any games filmed can be in one place. A number of teams now have that veo camera? I think it's called.

The ground improvements as we've discussed need to be realistic and achievable for clubs. Also tiered dependent which division teams are in. This is a long-term on going strategy. Is a ground requirement improvement group needed within the lge to administer this.

And no I'm not volunteering.

4 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

It's a great post in principal but unfortunately a lot of teams that are run by hard working volunteers who just love their clubs don't have the business sense to make the money needed to constantly maintain and improve grounds.
Some really on the gate money to keep going. Maybe if it was a kid goes free with every paying adult that might increase gates but not sure if some clubs already do that and if it makes a difference 

14 minutes ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

It's a great post in principal but unfortunately a lot of teams that are run by hard working volunteers who just love their clubs don't have the business sense to make the money needed to constantly maintain and improve grounds.
Some really on the gate money to keep going. Maybe if it was a kid goes free with every paying adult that might increase gates but not sure if some clubs already do that and if it makes a difference 

A great reason why there needs to be a league wide working group to help the clubs progress and get access to any funding assistance they can.

23 minutes ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

That's my point though, the league should be looking to support these clubs to make improvements. I am sure that clubs would make the money back from the kids coming in free at tea huts so there would be no loses. 

Clubs need to attract supporters all they will have issues attracting committee members in the future. Clubs need to stop looking at things season by season and start planning for the next 5 years.

Ye no doubt crowds are dwindling since the time I played, I loved going to Dunterlie as a player and loved the atmosphere, in fact it's one of my favourite grounds in the junior set up ( WOSFL)  and it was a real shame the last time I went with the fall in home fan numbers. I don't know the answer , I think it's a generation thing , kids just have so much more at their disposal and are glued to their phones and internet sites like tik tok in their rooms. I don't know how you encourage a new generation of fans to clubs these days 

20 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

A great reason why there needs to be a league wide working group to help the clubs progress and get access to any funding assistance they can.

We can't find people to wear the blazers we already have and you want us to order more.