Cyprus (a) - venue change

Email just out from the SSC saying the venue has changed from GSP Stadium in Nicosia to AEK Arena in Larnaca.

8k capacity in Larnaca compared to 22k capacity in Nicosia so it will absolutely f**k over a lot of folk heading over I think.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I would guess they’ll give us one of the stands behind the goal. Aberdeen got that when they played there a few years ago. Would give us an allocation of 1700 if that’s the case.

They had under 4000 against Georgia in the same venue and only 4500 against Greece (very surprising considering much of the country consider themselves to be Greek) so there should be scope for home end tickets too.

4 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would guess they’ll give us one of the stands behind the goal. Aberdeen got that when they played there a few years ago. Would give us an allocation of 1700 if that’s the case.

They had under 4000 against Georgia in the same venue and only 4500 against Greece (very surprising considering much of the country consider themselves to be Greek) so there should be scope for home end tickets too.

Not much use for people trying to build up points for Euros though. 

Hopefully they can secure a bigger allocation considering Cyprus have such a poor home following

I feel for those trying to build up their points. There's a real gap developing where the 1000 odd of us on 20+ points are fine for every game and everyone else is fucked. We all took our turn in the home ends when building up points but I think since they changed to home and away points it's harder to start off than it was when I joined.

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I feel for those trying to build up their points. There's a real gap developing where the 1000 odd of us on 20+ points are fine for every game and everyone else is fucked. We all took our turn in the home ends when building up points but I think since they changed to home and away points it's harder to start off than it was when I joined.

Aye it's been a struggle of late, especially with covid allocations in Faroes and Moldova. 

TBF, Austria, Cyprus, Russia and Turkey out the last 10 all went to zero. points with Aremenia going to 9 and ROI and going to 12 (could have got a ticket for that without never have been away before due to loyality points and attending 10 homes)

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Its a slog but a lot of the ones guaranteed tickets nowadays built there points up when we were dreadful so its as fair as it is ever going to be.

3 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Will be interesting what the away allocation is, especially since this follows the poll the SFA sent out, so surely they have a pretty good idea how many are planning on traveling to the game.

Surely 2-3000. Even getting 2 side of the ground and making it 4000 would make sense. Won't be anymore than 2-3000 Cypriots there.

Davy Busses posted on the Tartan Army Message Board suggesting it’s possible we’ll end up with two stands and an allocation of around 3,000, having spoken to the Cypriot FA. Not a guarantee but some hope for folks looking to build up points. 

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The points for home games is one of those things that lots of folk were calling for who felt they were missing out on away tickets but weren't willing to just go to some meaningless friendly. Like you I think it has made it harder to get on the ladder - now you pretty much have make sure you've been to the full last 10 home games. The only winners are the SFA who will undoubtedly be selling a lot more home tickets now even if they aren't always used. 

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

The points for home games is one of those things that lots of folk were calling for who felt they were missing out on away tickets but weren't willing to just go to some meaningless friendly. Like you I think it has made it harder to get on the ladder - now you pretty much have make sure you've been to the full last 10 home games. The only winners are the SFA who will undoubtedly be selling a lot more home tickets now even if they aren't always used. 

There is no question that tickets for some home games are bought, point acquired and ticket passed on wise in the knowledge there are no checks. People are always calling for 100% pick up overseas but two home games = one away in terms of points and that loophole is easily exploited.

Edited by Anfield 1977
error

5 hours ago, Anfield 1977 said:

There is no question that tickets for some home games are bought, point acquired and ticket passed on wise in the knowledge there are no checks. People are always calling for 100% pick up overseas but two home games = one away in terms of points and that loophole is easily exploited.

It’s very different doing this for a home game where every member is essentially guaranteed a ticket to doing it for an away game which is capped at 1000 or whatever.

Fwiw, I think the biggest factors in this points bottleneck are:

1. We have a good which a lot of people want to watch.

2. Attractive away fixtures (Ireland, Norway, Spain)

3. Chances to get up the ladder being expensive and difficult to get to (Turkey, Georgia, Armenia)

4. Covid restrictions or ridiculously small official allocations (Moldova, Faroe)

Certainly not easy to start from scratch these days. 

51 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

It’s very different doing this for a home game where every member is essentially guaranteed a ticket to doing it for an away game which is capped at 1000 or whatever.

Fwiw, I think the biggest factors in this points bottleneck are:

1. We have a good which a lot of people want to watch.

2. Attractive away fixtures (Ireland, Norway, Spain)

3. Chances to get up the ladder being expensive and difficult to get to (Turkey, Georgia, Armenia)

4. Covid restrictions or ridiculously small official allocations (Moldova, Faroe)

Certainly not easy to start from scratch these days. 

I don't think it is different at all, it has the same outcome - people buying tickets they have no intention of using so that they can have access to the games they do want to go to.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think it is different at all, it has the same outcome - people buying tickets they have no intention of using so that they can have access to the games they do want to go to.

It has much less impact. At home, you’re not denying any other members a ticket and there’s only one point on offer. Away, you’re doing another member out of a ticket and two points.

You are denying other members a ticket to a future game though, by taking a point that isn't yours so that you can make sure you have access to a bigger game ahead of them.

My understanding is that most people who are fraudulently farming points in this way sell on their tickets so I'm not sure any seats are going empty.

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There are also several different scenarios at home - you can buy a season ticket for games up to a year in advance and things come up so you pass your ticket on. 

I agree, I just think there needs to be a system for formally selling those tickets on if they are going to count for points.