Emerging Talent

Not an original thread but always very timely - Dundee are new to the top flight (again) so feel a bit out of the loop with new emerging talent from each side. So who’s the young players from your team that are breaking into the first team or have already established themselves? Who’s your next homegrown talent?

For Dundee, it’s probably the most exciting time in recent memory for young players coming through. We built our team around the youngsters last season. Lyall Cameron in particular looks like he can go far in the game. Range of passing is class, and scores goals by arriving late into the box. Very comfortable on the ball. Was surprised we managed to keep hold of him. Josh Mulligan is one who can arguably go further because of his physicality and athleticism. Then we have Max Anderson and Finlay Robertson who have been in around the side for the last few years. Clearly lots of potential but not starters and would benefit from loan moves. We’ve also got Owen Beck, a left back, on loan from Liverpool. Not one of our own obviously but definitely one to watch.  We’ve got others who’ve featured in preseason games who’ve looked good but again loan moves will be a natural step for them at this stage of their careers.

We've only recently started our youth academy back up after scrapping it in League 1. Only this year are we finally getting some boys through that look decent.

Calan Leadingham just got his debut at 16, we were wanting to play him at 15 apparently but didn't get the clearing to do so. Might be a while before he can make an impact especially as a CB but nice to see for the first time in a long time.

Lucas Stenhouse, a young striker, is another one we've got coming through at the same time, think he's just went out on loan to Bo'Ness but we apparently rate him fairly highly. We'll probably do the same strategy we did with Jack Hamilton in stepping him up a level each season. He went through the non-SPFL leagues, League 2 to League 1 and then banged them in at Championship level. Never fully made it with us due to be way too slow for Premiership football. 

In terms of first team, Stephen Kelly at 23 is already far too good for us. He'll have a huge season this season for us and get a move in the summer to a good level. Steven Bradley at 21 showed some flashes of brilliance last season as well, he's probably another that will have a big kick on season for us. Genuinely hilarious that Hibs let him leave to us for free in January :D 

Only watched Owen Beck a couple of times in pre-season but easy to see why Klopp gave him a 5 year deal and has had him involved in and around their first team at times. Bit of a coup for us to get him in on loan considering how highly Klopp rates him but he had an iffy time of it at Bolton.

Has the potential to really kick on and become a superstar but needs to start showing that. Putting his future in Dundee's hands is a bold fucking move on their part.

We have some good young players on the way throu at Killie but the pick of them has to be David Watson at 18, midfielder, already broke into the 1st team at the tailend of last season and hopfully he kicks on this coming season. Been very consistant for his age so far. Signed a two year extention in May.

Our top young talent at the moment has to be Lennon Miller. Boy is 16 years old, our youngest ever appearance maker and youngest ever goal scorer.

The boy is a centre midfielder with composure, tremendous range of passing and has looked complete class in playing 90 mins in both group games so far. Looks like he has a huge future in the game. 

Very reminiscent of a certain David Turnbull.

Definitely David Watson for us. The boy has an absolutely incredible engine and is really dynamic in getting up and down the pitch from a central position. He’s still quite slight and could do with filling out a bit, but he’s been exceptional since coming in at the tail end of last season. 

Bobby Wales has been in and around a couple of match day squads and has been absolutely banging them in at reserve level. Again, I think he needs to fill out a bit and is probably slightly off the level needed to play in the Premiership at the minute but I think he will feature sporadically this season. 

Steven Warnock is probably the other one who seems fairly promising - but again, is probably quite a bit away physically. He is absolutely tiny, but has real quality with the ball at his feet. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him loaned to a Championship team this season. 

5 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Our top young talent at the moment has to be Lennon Miller. Boy is 16 years old, our youngest ever appearance maker and youngest ever goal scorer.

The boy is a centre midfielder with composure, tremendous range of passing and has looked complete class in playing 90 mins in both group games so far. Looks like he has a huge future in the game. 

He’s been on the radar of bigger teams for a while now. Definitely has a chance. Feel he should follow the Lewis Ferguson route, Aberdeen stepping stone then stardom. 

Edited by 1GregStewart

Ross Sinclair (22, GK) is the homegrown one most likely to have a "breakthrough" season as it stands. Currently our number one but will compete with Mitov.

Other u23s who should play regularly are Dan Phillips and Max Kucheriavyi, both CMs.

Alex Ferguson (19, CM) the one thats probably the most exciting though. Probably be loaned out again this season but every time i watch him im more impressed by him, and starting to think he could find himself a regular if given the chance. 

Our youth team seems to have produced a proper golden generation, mind you. We had 15yo/16yo/17yo kids ripping the absolute pish out of East Fife the other night and its hard/unfair to single out one or two. 

18 hours ago, Liam899 said:

Not an original thread but always very timely - Dundee are new to the top flight (again) so feel a bit out of the loop with new emerging talent from each side. So who’s the young players from your team that are breaking into the first team or have already established themselves? Who’s your next homegrown talent?

For Dundee, it’s probably the most exciting time in recent memory for young players coming through. We built our team around the youngsters last season. Lyall Cameron in particular looks like he can go far in the game. Range of passing is class, and scores goals by arriving late into the box. Very comfortable on the ball. Was surprised we managed to keep hold of him. Josh Mulligan is one who can arguably go further because of his physicality and athleticism. Then we have Max Anderson and Finlay Robertson who have been in around the side for the last few years. Clearly lots of potential but not starters and would benefit from loan moves. We’ve also got Owen Beck, a left back, on loan from Liverpool. Not one of our own obviously but definitely one to watch.  We’ve got others who’ve featured in preseason games who’ve looked good but again loan moves will be a natural step for them at this stage of their careers.

I hope Charlie Reilly gets some time on the park for Dundee this season. Absolutely tore up League Two playing in a team that got relegated.

On 21/07/2023 at 23:45, wellboy1991 said:

To me, Miller is a very different kind of footballer and feels like a much more rounded midfielder than Turnbull did when he broke through. Both very tidy on the ball and love having a pop on goal, but Miller seems to be much more mobile and able to get stuck in to the defensive side of the game. Despite being two years younger than when we first saw Turnbull, I'm possibly less excited by Miller because he plays like someone that is much older and more experienced than he actually is? If that makes any sense.

That's not to say he is or will be better than Turnbull, he is still only 16 after all. But I would agree that he is by far and away our most promising prospect at the minute.

Callum Davidsons penchant for shite 35 year olds on 3 year deals and an unhealthy fear of getting beat has stifled our last crop that should've been breaking through, they're all above 21 now with f**k all to show for it. As Random says though we have some decent    15-17 year olds who might breakthrough in a couple of years if not sooner.

1 hour ago, stu92 said:

To me, Miller is a very different kind of footballer and feels like a much more rounded midfielder than Turnbull did when he broke through. Both very tidy on the ball and love having a pop on goal, but Miller seems to be much more mobile and able to get stuck in to the defensive side of the game. Despite being two years younger than when we first saw Turnbull, I'm possibly less excited by Miller because he plays like someone that is much older and more experienced than he actually is? If that makes any sense.

That's not to say he is or will be better than Turnbull, he is still only 16 after all. But I would agree that he is by far and away our most promising prospect at the minute.

💯 get you and agree with you. I am really excited about him as his passing and composure on one so young is frightening. Once he adds a bit strength to his game, I think he will be more versatile than DT.