Heart of Midlothian B 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

You could reasonably make the same criticism of University of Stirling, Broomhill, East Stirlingshire and Celtic B who have rescheduled games because of ground sharing conflicts with their host clubs.

Sorry absolutely not, other teams who ground share mainly play on Saturdays,  where necessary Sunday's or Friday nights.

Your home games are always Friday nights, for me this is not acceptable for a Saturday afternoon league.  Everyone else needs to arrange training , transport etc to suit you. Not on.

Friday night football is great and more should be made of it by other clubs to maybe get more through the gate, plenty neutrals normally turn up at Hearts B games because of it. A dozen or so German groundhoppers in attendance on Friday.

There is no such things as a "Saturday afternoon league".

Sorry totally disagree.  Fridays fine for Development League,when every team has agreed to play then ,but it is unfair on teams to be forced to play then to suit one team.

If teams are happy to arrange games then,  fine, but that is absolutely  not the case here. The knock on effect on the away team for training that week, travel arrangements when players are working during the day, totally disrupts preparation. Then you have away supporters being denied their match day out,  well nigh impossible travel by public transport.  OK you might get some neutrals, maybe we should be more considerate of the people who come games in, games out.

Of course there is such a thing as a Saturday Afternoon League, the Lowland League for example.  Accept that at the top end bit  less so due to TV,  even then only really in Premier in England.  

In the UK , professional football has been played on Saturday afternoons for over a hundred years, starting with the traditional half day for most working class supporters.  Time has of course moved on, things might evolve, but for now the vast majority of games are scheduled and played on Saturday afternoons.

That allows people to arrange things to suit. Players, supporters, staff, volunteers,  catering etc etc.

7 minutes ago, ekok said:

Sorry totally disagree.  Fridays fine for Development League,when every team has agreed to play then ,but it is unfair on teams to be forced to play then to suit one team.

Most of the leagues at this level do have something like this in the rulebook.

image.png.784fa8547f2017dc14e261247bfb2863.png

While there can be variance. Often with the agreement of both parties. Everyone knows that Saturdays are expected to be the norm.

2 hours ago, ekok said:

If teams are happy to arrange games then,  fine, but that is absolutely  not the case here. The knock on effect on the away team for training that week, travel arrangements when players are working during the day, totally disrupts preparation. Then you have away supporters being denied their match day out,  well nigh impossible travel by public transport.  OK you might get some neutrals, maybe we should be more considerate of the people who come games in, games out.

Of course there is such a thing as a Saturday Afternoon League, the Lowland League for example.  Accept that at the top end bit  less so due to TV,  even then only really in Premier in England.  

In the UK , professional football has been played on Saturday afternoons for over a hundred years, starting with the traditional half day for most working class supporters.  Time has of course moved on, things might evolve, but for now the vast majority of games are scheduled and played on Saturday afternoons.

That allows people to arrange things to suit. Players, supporters, staff, volunteers,  catering etc etc.

Modern football at all levels sees games being played every day of the week.  A great many Championship and L1 games have been played on Friday nights for TV. Football all over the world are split across Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon as a matter of routine.

"Tradition" went out of the window a long time ago I'm afraid.

As you will know, Uni of Stirling play quite a few games on a Sunday due to fixture clashes, as do Broomhill, and Celtic B, it's just a reality of groundshares. Hutchison Vale share Ainslie Park on a Saturday with Spartans, so Hearts B presumably decided to make Friday night match day so people knew in advance what to expect rather than chopping and changing.  I think they have had one re-arranged game on a Saturday there.  For away teams, it's once or twice a season and little different to scheduled midweek matches anyway.

Edited by Burnieman

20 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Modern football at all levels sees games being played every day of the week.  A great many Championship and L1 games have been played on Friday nights for TV. Football all over the world are split across Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon as a matter of routine.

"Tradition" went out of the window a long time ago I'm afraid.

As you will know, Uni of Stirling play quite a few games on a Sunday due to fixture clashes, as do Broomhill, and Celtic B, it's just a reality of groundshares. Hutchison Vale share Ainslie Park on a Saturday with Spartans, so Hearts B presumably decided to make Friday night match day so people knew in advance what to expect rather than chopping and changing.  I think they have had one re-arranged game on a Saturday there.  For away teams, it's once or twice a season and little different to scheduled midweek matches anyway.

Big advantage to hearts B playing every friday night at home ,,,,their players are not working then rushing to get to Edinburgh through traffic after a hard shift at work 

1 hour ago, buboy said:

Big advantage to hearts B playing every friday night at home ,,,,their players are not working then rushing to get to Edinburgh through traffic after a hard shift at work 

That equally applies to any midweek game.  I think the fact that the B teams are full time pros is more of an advantage than anything, regardless of kick-off time.   

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

That equally applies to any midweek game.  I think the fact that the B teams are full time pros is more of an advantage than anything, regardless of kick-off time.   

point missed completely  but not surprised 

38 minutes ago, buboy said:

You play games during the week anyway, Friday's are during the week. Other teams play regularly on days other than Saturdays due to groudsharing clashes. B team players are full-time.

Which point did I miss? 

Edited by Burnieman

40 minutes ago, buboy said:

Agreed,   Burnie you  are not grasping the point at all and please don't ask me what the point is, moving on.

10 minutes ago, ekok said:

Agreed,   Burnie you  are not grasping the point at all and please don't ask me what the point is, moving on.

So you don't actually know the point I'm supposed to be missing is either?

Just looking at results, Hearts have dropped points in 12 games in the league this season, 6 lost and 6 drawn. Only 3 of those were on a Saturday.  What advantage?

B teams do have an advantage in that they are full time pros and them, and to a certain extent Uni of Stirling who also train more than your average LL team, benefit from that.

Edited by Burnieman

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

While there can be variance. Often with the agreement of both parties. Everyone knows that Saturdays are expected to be the norm.

There is no point in engaging with pro-B team posters on anything relating to B teams, they will twist and squeeze every iota of logic to try to justify some of this stuff.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There is no point in engaging with pro-B team posters on anything relating to B teams, they will twist and squeeze every iota of logic to try to justify some of this stuff.

Behave yourself, feel free to actually engage with any of the points.  Some of the shite posted on here about B teams is beyond belief 😂

Edited by Burnieman

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Behave yourself, feel free to actually engage with any of the points.  Some of the shite posted on here about B teams is beyond belief 😂

You'll probably the exact same complaints over Edinburgh City's stint as a Friday night football club, or Open Goal's attempts at going all Friday. Something the Lowland League turned down. Hearts only get away with it because of the money they put into the league.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You'll probably the exact same complaints over Edinburgh City's stint as a Friday night football club, or Open Goal's attempts at going all Friday. Something the Lowland League turned down. Hearts only get away with it because of the money they put into the league.

That may well have been the reason, it wouldn't surprise me and the LL aren't renowned for consistent decision making either. Probably equally as likely to do with getting access to a better home ground on 3g rather than Whitehill Welfare on grass.

In OG Broomhill's case, didn't they get better crowds with the Friday/midweek games?

Given we have a whole part-time league system (Development League) played on a Friday night with a good percentage of players who work, not sure why's it's deemed an issue anywhere else.  We should be looking to move games away from the Saturday 2.30/3.00 timeslot in an effort to broaden the appeal and maybe get more punters in.

Edited by Burnieman

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If you had highlighted the full sentence, then the explanation is clear re non Saturday games "Except as otherwise approved by the Board under a 'ground sharing' agreement".  Broomhill, East Stirlingshire, University of Stirling, Hearts B and Celtic B all require that approval.

3 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Cowdenbeath played Hearts B both home and away on a Friday and I for one enjoyed both of them, nice way to end the working week, especially winning both of them. 😉

I didn't mind playing at AP on the Friday gave me the opportunity to watch another game on the Saturday.

At the end of the day the clubs only have to play on a Friday there once a season. The same sometimes happens with the Shire if Falkirk have a home game on a Saturday.

I have enjoyed Hearts B being on the Friday night. Made quite a lot of them (even went to Central Park and Falkirk Stadium too). 

My own personal opinion is that teams who can should sometimes exploit it a bit more. Play away from 3pm Saturday, entice more people when the big team are playing, probably be more appealing in the late summer or late spring months aswell

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I didn't mind playing at AP on the Friday gave me the opportunity to watch another game on the Saturday.

At the end of the day the clubs only have to play on a Friday there once a season. The same sometimes happens with the Shire if Falkirk have a home game on a Saturday.

From memory Cowdenbeath had just over 300 (including a few away fans but not many) for the Friday night home match against Hearts on the windiest winter night you could imagine.

I said at the time I would welcome them trying that now and again. A late summer Friday evening with a nice bit of weather could attract a decent crowd.