Heart of Midlothian B 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

11 hours ago, To B or not B said:

The credibility of the league is in the gutter because of sh1t like this, I still can’t believe the sell out clubs fell for it for another season.

I believe that was the first time in two seasons where Hearts have had to field such a weakened side. Blame the SFA for scheduling the Youth Cup to to create a clash.

52 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I believe that was the first time in two seasons where Hearts have had to field such a weakened side. Blame the SFA for scheduling the Youth Cup to to create a clash.

It’s hearts that created the clash, can’t go scheduling youth football for the whole country based on 2 clubs desire the play in another competition.

5 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Or blame the clubs for letting them in 👍🏻 

5 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Also quite a turnaround from you defending the B teams, is it because it’s Hearts by any chance?? 😃😃

Edited by To B or not B

7 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The SFA Youth Cup is the main cup for youth teams, it's not the SFA's problem if one of those youth teams have decided to enter an adult league that isn't supposed to be for them.

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It’s hearts that created the clash, can’t go scheduling youth football for the whole country based on 2 clubs desire the play in another competition.

😂   Aberdeen played St.Johnstone in the same competition last Tuesday.

Edited by Burnieman

3 hours ago, To B or not B said:

Also quite a turnaround from you defending the B teams, is it because it’s Hearts by any chance?? 😃😃

Here's a fascinating fact, I have never been against B teams in the Pyramid. It's been badly handled from the start and they should never have been parachuted into the LL, but here we are.  

Edited by Burnieman

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The SFA Youth Cup is the main cup for youth teams, it's not the SFA's problem if one of those youth teams have decided to enter an adult league that isn't supposed to be for them.

You'd better let the SFA know that the Pyramid isn't for B teams, they seem quite keen on the idea.  Also a 4.00pm ko at a training ground doesn't suggest the SFA care too much about the youth cup these days, sadly.

Edited by Burnieman

The Aberdeen U18 v St Johnstone U18 youth cup tie was also scheduled for Friday, but they managed to get it rescheduled to the previous Tuesday.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rangers insisted on playing the game on the scheduled date and the SFA complied with their master's request.

Is Hearts playing a weaker team bring any less credibility than the Uni teams weakened at holiday times? 

It was a younger team but it was a close game agaisnt the team 2nd in the league. Hearts had chances and were always competing. 

45 minutes ago, Dicko23 said:

Is Hearts playing a weaker team bring any less credibility than the Uni teams weakened at holiday times?

Kinda. It's a league of part-timers.

Uni teams struggle out of term time, others face the usual midweek limitations and shift-work ruling out players.

It's not because a chunk of the squad are playing a game elsewhere.

On 28/01/2024 at 12:25, FairWeatherFan said:

Kinda. It's a league of part-timers.

Uni teams struggle out of term time, others face the usual midweek limitations and shift-work ruling out players.

It's not because a chunk of the squad are playing a game elsewhere.

The "chunk of the squad are playing elsewhere" rarely happens, first time for Hearts I believe.  Celtic & Rangers may have had it a few times last season due to International breaks. 

Whereas, if you are scheduled to play a Uni team at the start of the season, Xmas, Easter then you've got lucky, because invariably they'll have to supplement from their 2nds or 3rds (the Uni U20's in the Development Leagues even get to start their seasons a few weeks late).  Then there's the stag weekends, weddings, holiday weeks that can hamper clubs occasionally with 4 or 5 players away at them.

It's a fair point.

• 3 weeks later...

Big game on Friday with Hearts B welcoming East Kilbride to Ainslie Park. EK are looking certainties for the title but did lose the home fixture to Hearts B.

Since the transfer window closed, Hearts B have lost 3 games in a row before winning 1-0 at Tranent last Sat. The loss of Makenzie Kirk (loan to Accies) has reduced the goalscoring plus Callum Flatman being on loan at Edin City has weakened the defence. Macauley Tait is now a fully fledged 1st Teamer and has signed a new contract worthy of that status. I guess he'd be the "poster boy" for the benefit of our B Team playing in the Lowland League. Finlay Pollock will benefit from regular games to the end of the season before joining the 1st Team squad next season. The lad has had horrendous luck with injuries the last couple of seasons. The team played well at Tranent apparently so we'll see how the youngsters progress

I feel sorry for Kirk in that he's only played around a dozen minutes in the last 4 Accies games, all at the end of games. Now Falkirk have disappeared over the horizon with the Title, maybe John Rankin will give him a chance before the play offs start. He seems a decent bet to remain LL Top Scorer at the end of the season!

• 2 weeks later...

Finlay Pollock only played the first half against EK in Friday's 4-2 win but was excellent. His reward was to come off the bench in the last 10 mins against Hibs for the first team. Ironically, this is his league debut for Hearts. He'd played and scored in the League Cup and friendlies, plus created the Hearts goal in Istanbul, but injuries had delayed his debut till yesterday.  It looks like (along with Denholm & Tait) he's graduated to the first team squad.

Absolutely, Hearts have made a  very positive fist of the B team set up. Had a great chat last week with Frankie McAvoy at our game, we were well beaten,  so no surprise that some of the lads made a step up. 100 % actually the whole point.

For me if you are going to go down that route, you need to walk the walk,which they have done.

• 1 month later...

Heart of Midlothian B won 5-3 v East Stirlingshire Friday night to confirm they will finish above Celtic B this season. Despite regularly postponing games (for International games) poor Celtic will finish behind Hearts who played all their games when arranged. Tough for poor Celtic.......

Hi Alberto, why do you define your team in terms of performance in relation to any other single  team ? Your final position in the table will tell the story,  like everyone else.

Also I wouldn't get too smart about when games were played.  Being granted every home game on a Friday night in a Saturday afternoon league, not for me.

19 hours ago, ekok said:

Being granted every home game on a Friday night in a Saturday afternoon league, not for me.

You could reasonably make the same criticism of University of Stirling, Broomhill, East Stirlingshire and Celtic B who have rescheduled games because of ground sharing conflicts with their host clubs.

19 hours ago, ekok said:

Hi Alberto, why do you define your team in terms of performance in relation to any other single  team ? Your final position in the table will tell the story,  like everyone else.

Also I wouldn't get too smart about when games were played.  Being granted every home game on a Friday night in a Saturday afternoon league, not for me.

Wish more would play on a Friday night.

Give the neutrals more choice.