Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

Disastrous mistake in the team selection, poor performance, players missing, shite ref and gave up a two-goal headstart, so I'll take that in the end.

This really was an opportunity missed though. They're not that good and definitely worse than Zurich, but they've got a couple of decent players going forward and this result gives them the chance to sit in and hit on the break knowing that one goal gives us a mountain to climb again.

Hopefully we never see Shankland up front on his own again. I get that options were limited for this game but we really look uniformly hopeless when we try this. We were far better when we brought a strike partner on, as was the case at the weekend.

8 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Disastrous mistake in the team selection, poor performance, players missing, shite ref and gave up a two-goal headstart, so I'll take that in the end.

This really was an opportunity missed though. They're not that good and definitely worse than Zurich, but they've got a couple of decent players going forward and this result gives them the chance to sit in and hit on the break knowing that one goal gives us a mountain to climb again.

Hopefully we never see Shankland up front on his own again. I get that options were limited for this game but we really look uniformly hopeless when we try this. We were far better when we brought a strike partner on, as was the case at the weekend.

We've got the two new lads available for next week who couldn't go tonight (can Kenny play too?) and we'll hopefully have learned a lesson and just start Haring.

Beni is some boy, but you can't shove someone straight back in to starting big games after 17 months.

Dreadful first half. Was worried it'd be 3 or 4 at HT. Having Haring in there 2nd half made a massive difference and the last half hour we were well on top. Not a good result but tie is alive and we can beat them at Tynecastle so you have to be happy we aren't dead and buried.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We've got the two new lads available for next week who couldn't go tonight (can Kenny play too?) and we'll hopefully have learned a lesson and just start Haring.

Beni is some boy, but you can't shove someone straight back in to starting big games after 17 months.

I don't think Vargas was registered for this round (Tagawa and Lowry were the wildcards). He might not have his visa by then anyway.

But you're right, we've got a stronger team to choose from next week. Just wish we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot tonight when we could've just started Haring.

In contrast to Beni, Boyce looks sharp and played well when he came on.

35 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I don't think Vargas was registered for this round (Tagawa and Lowry were the wildcards). He might not have his visa by then anyway.

I see McAvoy says he'll be available.

Although he's still not listed in our squad on the UEFA website, so I'm not convinced.

Management lost that for us. The first half was woeful with an unfit Beni gifting two goals and Devlin passing to the opposition all the time. Bizarrely, both were kept on, Devlin for 70 mins or so.

Rosenborg funnily enough looked all over the place when we finally got our act in gear. Their performances against Crusaders suggested they might. Why didn McAvoy/ Naismith see that FFS?!

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

I see McAvoy says he'll be available.

Although he's still not listed in our squad on the UEFA website, so I'm not convinced.

I think McAvoy is wrong tbh. Seen it reported in a few places Vargas wasn't registered before the deadline yesterday and he's not on the official squad list on the uefa site.

41 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I think McAvoy is wrong tbh. Seen it reported in a few places Vargas wasn't registered before the deadline yesterday and he's not on the official squad list on the uefa site.

Yeah, you can only make two changes in the week before the game and that'll have been Tagawa and Lowry.

Serious question here Tarts.

That Devlin boy, what does he bring to the team? Every time I see him play he is bang average or rotten. He's not a passer, runner, tackler...I personally don't see any benefits.  As soon as he went off last night you were straight into the game.

Please explain.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Serious question here Tarts.

That Devlin boy, what does he bring to the team? Every time I see him play he is bang average or rotten. He's not a passer, runner, tackler...I personally don't see any benefits.  As soon as he went off last night you were straight into the game.

Please explain.

He is a tackler and a runner typically. I think he had the most tackles in the league the season before last, or close to it. Him and Baningime consistently turning possession over by winning the ball back was a big factor in us easily finishing third that season.

With the ball, he's erratic. In the Zurich home game last year he was brilliant at making space for himself, keeping it simple and and keeping us on the front foot until the red card, but we haven't seen that enough from him, particularly recently.

Not seen him at his best for a while but Devlin's a player that'll always do well in our league. Covers a lot of ground and wins the ball all over the park, even if he's not the best with it. Really liked the balance between him and Beni when I saw hearts play a couple of seasons back

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

He is a tackler and a runner typically. I think he had the most tackles in the league the season before last, or close to it. Him and Baningime consistently turning possession over by winning the ball back was a big factor in us easily finishing third that season.

With the ball, he's erratic. In the Zurich home game last year he was brilliant at making space for himself, keeping it simple and and keeping us on the front foot until the red card, but we haven't seen that enough from him, particularly recently.

Cheers, as I was thinking you see him more than me.

Just the games I watch last season then last night, i just watched him only as play flowed on for about 10 mins and he was not on it, seemed to be in no mans land half the time, and not showing for the ball. His ball distrabution was a simple pass back to the player that he just recieved it from.

As you say, his form must have dropped. Empty jersey for me at the moment.