Bonnyrigg Rose vs Dumbarton

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/08/23 at 14:00

Another season gets underway next Saturday with last season's runner up visiting New Dundas Park in the opener. Dumbarton will be aiming to start with a win for the 3rd consecutive year for the first time in 24 years. 

Discuss.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Another season gets underway next Saturday with last season's runner up visiting New Dundas Park in the opener. Dumbarton will be aiming to start with a win for the 3rd consecutive year for the first time in 24 years. 

Discuss.

Tough opener, but if we have any aspirations this is the sort of fixture we need to turn up in.  Hopefully we have almost a full squad to select from, and I'm looking forward to seeing how we shape up.

NDP is a great old-fashioned ground and the home crowd is passionate - hopefully we'll take a decent support through and it will be a good atmosphere.

Its not a ground that I wanted us to have to go to early. Genuinely difficult place to play because of the ridiculous slope. We should win. The cup game might not have been completely indicative of how both sides will play this year, but I thought that Bonnyrigg struggled to make anything happen until we started handing them chances with some really sloppy defensive play. It should be 3 points for the Sons, but I'd be far more confident heading there a month down the line and having our starting 11 settled.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Calling Rose fans...what is nearest number 31 bus stop to the ground - Bonnyrigg  Cross ?

It depends, there are 2 variants of the 31 bus which go in different directions once in the centre of Bonnyrigg. One stops outside the Calderwood pub which is about 3 seconds from the ground, the other stops near the shops in the middle of the town and is about 2 minutes from the ground.

54 minutes ago, Gimme said:

It depends, there are 2 variants of the 31 bus which go in different directions once in the centre of Bonnyrigg. One stops outside the Calderwood pub which is about 3 seconds from the ground, the other stops near the shops in the middle of the town and is about 2 minutes from the ground.

Many thanks for that 👍

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Calling Rose fans...what is nearest number 31 bus stop to the ground - Bonnyrigg  Cross ?

If it says Bonnyrigg on the front then stay on till the stop outside the Calderwood right after it goes through the lights at the toll. If it says Polton Mill on the front, you either get off before the toll, or after it turns right at the toll. After the game walk through the lights to the first stop in the High St as both buses stop there, they’ll say East Craigs on the front.

All the stops are on google maps anyway, but Edinburgh has a brilliant transport app as you’ll probably be going to Ainslie Park as well. I think it lets you buy e-tickets, but in any case you can just use contactless and it’ll cap your costs for the day however many buses you get on. I’m not a big fan of the Bonnyrigg boozers, except the Rose club, none of them have cask beer which I prefer, you can easy get off at the Laird and Dog in Lasswade where there’s always 2 guest ales, then hop on another 31 or 140/141 at about 2.30 and you’ll be up there in less than 10 mins.

Edited by The Mantis

25 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

If it says Bonnyrigg on the front then stay on till the stop outside the Calderwood right after it goes through the lights at the toll. If it says Polton Mill on the front, you either get off before the toll, or after it turns right at the toll. After the game walk through the lights to the first stop in the High St as both buses stop there, they’ll say East Craigs on the front.

All the stops are on google maps anyway, but Edinburgh has a brilliant transport app as you’ll probably be going to Ainslie Park as well. I think it lets you buy e-tickets, but in any case you can just use contactless and it’ll cap your costs for the day however many buses you get on. I’m not a big fan of the Bonnyrigg boozers, except the Rose club, none of them have cask beer which I prefer, you can easy get off at the Laird and Dog in Lasswade where there’s always 2 guest ales, then hop on another 31 or 140/141 at about 2.30 and you’ll be up there in less than 10 mins.

A brilliant reply thanks, and especially the pubs as my mate and I are fond of a decent ale.  Just the forecast shit weather to work around LOL.

Malcolm and Orsi would probably start but we have able replacements available. Good news that Pignatiello is fully fit. I'll be disappointed if we don't win given what I seen of Bonnyrigg, not sure they've improved enough to trouble the top half this year. 

An expected downpour about 12 is putting me off. If it wasnt the first game of the season then I wouldn't bother. But because its the first game, I suspect it'll be a last minute decision and drive through. Can leave the house about 12:00 (cycle wankers dependent) and be at the ground for before 2. I really don't like it as a ground. The lack of even basic covered terracing for visiting fans really isnt right. The idea of standing on a soaking wet grass bank isnt exactly appealing.

34 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

An expected downpour about 12 is putting me off. If it wasnt the first game of the season then I wouldn't bother. But because its the first game, I suspect it'll be a last minute decision and drive through. Can leave the house about 12:00 (cycle wankers dependent) and be at the ground for before 2. I really don't like it as a ground. The lack of even basic covered terracing for visiting fans really isnt right. The idea of standing on a soaking wet grass bank isnt exactly appealing.

I can sell you a used poncho if you like? 

I'm going along with my brother tomorrow for a few pre birthday drinks (a day early). I totally get why folk don't like it as a stadium, but that is also why I like it so much! It is so clearly a lower league stadium. It was the one thing I missed when we were in the lofty heights of the Championship playing teams like Hibs, Dundee United, The Rangers etc... I love going to grounds like Bonnyrigg and Elgin! 

Hopefully I'll finally get to see us get a win in my 3rd time visiting!

47 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'm going along with my brother tomorrow for a few pre birthday drinks (a day early). I totally get why folk don't like it as a stadium, but that is also why I like it so much! It is so clearly a lower league stadium. It was the one thing I missed when we were in the lofty heights of the Championship playing teams like Hibs, Dundee United, The Rangers etc... I love going to grounds like Bonnyrigg and Elgin! 

Hopefully I'll finally get to see us get a win in my 3rd time visiting!

It's an utter hodge-podge of a ground and all the better for it.  Anyone too young to have visited the likes of Shawfield, Douglas Park or Brockville should visit New Dundas Park to see what a genuine bearpit looks like.

It's a genuine throwback to an age when features were organically added in fits and starts, often when cash allowed, and no-one bothered jack shit about trifling details like parking facilities or dare I say it, a level playing field.

I'm looking forward to visiting tomorrow.