Bonnyrigg Rose vs Dumbarton

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/08/23 at 14:00

We're not playing all that well. It's a very, very physical scrap out there and we've only broken out the tiki-taka a couple of times. Jinky Hilton especially is struggling to get into things.

You get the feeling we could kill Bonnyrigg if we could get the ball down and play. But they aren't letting us and have been fairly solid and drama free at the back.

Right now I'd be chuffed with a 1-0.

That’s a disappointing result, especially after going ahead so early. We desperately need to find some goals in this team, there is absolutely no point in playing “swashbuckling” football when we struggle to put the ball in the net. That’s us played 180 minutes against Bonnyrigg and managed a paltry single goal. If we can’t manage to take our chances we’d be as well reverting to the grind because judging by the stats we allowed a hell of a lot of shots on our goal and conceded a shit ton of corners.

If we have aspirations of mounting a challenge I’ll be expecting a bit of a reaction at home next Saturday. Having guys like Carlo, Orsi, Malcolm and R Wallace available for selection would help us achieve that.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That’s a disappointing result, especially after going ahead so early. We desperately need to find some goals in this team, there is absolutely no point in playing “swashbuckling” football when we struggle to put the ball in the net. That’s us played 180 minutes against Bonnyrigg and managed a paltry single goal. If we can’t manage to take our chances we’d be as well reverting to the grind because judging by the stats we allowed a hell of a lot of shots on our goal and conceded a shit ton of corners.

If we have aspirations of mounting a challenge I’ll be expecting a bit of a reaction at home next Saturday. Having guys like Carlo, Orsi, Malcolm and R Wallace available for selection would help us achieve that.

We played a lot worse and won games this time last year.  This was always going to be a tough game against physical opposition and three second-half moments were crucial.

First, at 1-0 to us the Rose keeper produced an unbelievable save from Ruth's header.  Secondly, Matty Shiels probably should have scored when Blair sent him clear.  And thirdly, our only real defensive fankle cost us an equaliser.

I agree however on the need to convert outfield play into goals and I'd expect Ryan Wallace to feature soon, but I saw enough this afternoon to suggest that there is much yet to come.  No need for the panic button.

That was frustrating today. Large aspects of our play were good; going forward we put together some nice moves. We created enough chances to win the game, and we defended our box from dead balls superbly against a very physical Bonnyrigg side.

I don't think anyone could've begrudged us three points; but likewise I can't begrudge Bonnyrigg their point. They worked incredibly hard, kept their shape, defended well and left everything out there for the cause. Paddy Martin certainly didn't deserve to go home empty handed after a genuinely world class save from Mikey Ruth in the second-half, and then an almost as good one from Matty Shiels minutes later (that somehow the car-crash referee and assistant duo seemed to miss).

I said at half-time we weren't playing all that well, and I stand by it. But I thought we improved a fair whack in the second-half - and started to get guys like David Wilson and Jinky Hilton (who had a really quiet first-half) on the ball more.

Whilst we maybe weren't playing quite as easy on the eye football as we have done in the cup so far, there were still moments of the sort of quality we were desperate to see last season. As well as Paddy Martin's heroics both Div Wilson and Tony Wallace had chances cleared off the line and I genuinely believe that if we keep creating then the goals will follow.

Mikey Ruth is probably the key to that. I thought he was very good today - and if Paddy Martin hadn't channelled his inner Stephen Grindlay (Arbroath away, 2012 edition) gadget arms then he'd probably have walked away with as close to a complete performance as you could ask for from a striker. He ran the channels, he held play up, he set up a goal, he nearly set up another and he should've scored. Once he gets up and running then he'll score a good number for us. I just hope we aren't waiting much longer for that first goal. I also found out today that he's still 21. Which kind of blew my mind, because he plays like someone with a lot more experience.

Ross MacLean looks far better playing in this kind of shape - it's just a shame his end product is very hit or miss. And when Ryan Blair is dictating things in the middle he's a joy to watch. He flitted in and out today; dominant for 15 minutes, scrappy for five, dominant for another 15, scrappy for 5. But if he can tidy that up he'll be a big player for us.

I thought it was interesting to hear Matty Shiels talking in his interview about seeing his future further up the park. I'd agree with that based on today; the guy is stupidly fast and very direct and I think he'll cause issues at this level. He should've had a goal about a minute after getting on, and the thought of him on one side and Kalvin Orsi on the other has got me genuinely excited. Especially on big, wide astroturf parks.

In terms of negatives; the glaring one is the goal. There were loud appeals for offside, but it was a terrible one to lose. Our own shot on the edge of the box being charged down and launched up the other end. Two defenders getting goal-side, then backing off and allowing Luke Mahady to pick his spot - and I think even Brett Long might be disappointed he didn't save it. But I'll need to see it back.

That aside I'm feeling broadly positive.

It's such a cliche, but Bonnyrigg are a big, physical side and well suited to the style of play they've got. Nobody will ever out-desire them and most teams who go to NDP will be in for a scrap. Much like us last season, they might not be a pretty side to watch - but I don't think many teams will enjoy coming up against them. If they had a striker who was vaguely close to being League Two quality then they'd be in with as good a shout of the playoffs as anyone. Because they won't concede that many this year, and there won't be too many better goalkeepers in lower league football than Paddy Martin. With no disrespect intended, I'm staggered he's back with the Rose and didn't end up somewhere like Alloa as their number one.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was frustrating today. Large aspects of our play were good; going forward we put together some nice moves. We created enough chances to win the game, and we defended our box from dead balls superbly against a very physical Bonnyrigg side.

I don't think anyone could've begrudged us three points; but likewise I can't begrudge Bonnyrigg their point. They worked incredibly hard, kept their shape, defended well and left everything out there for the cause. Paddy Martin certainly didn't deserve to go home empty handed after a genuinely world class save from Mikey Ruth in the second-half, and then an almost as good one from Matty Shiels minutes later (that somehow the car-crash referee and assistant duo seemed to miss).

I said at half-time we weren't playing all that well, and I stand by it. But I thought we improved a fair whack in the second-half - and started to get guys like David Wilson and Jinky Hilton (who had a really quiet first-half) on the ball more.

Whilst we maybe weren't playing quite as easy on the eye football as we have done in the cup so far, there were still moments of the sort of quality we were desperate to see last season. As well as Paddy Martin's heroics both Div Wilson and Tony Wallace had chances cleared off the line and I genuinely believe that if we keep creating then the goals will follow.

Mikey Ruth is probably the key to that. I thought he was very good today - and if Paddy Martin hadn't channelled his inner Stephen Grindlay (Arbroath away, 2012 edition) gadget arms then he'd probably have walked away with as close to a complete performance as you could ask for from a striker. He ran the channels, he held play up, he set up a goal, he nearly set up another and he should've scored. Once he gets up and running then he'll score a good number for us. I just hope we aren't waiting much longer for that first goal. I also found out today that he's still 21. Which kind of blew my mind, because he plays like someone with a lot more experience.

Ross MacLean looks far better playing in this kind of shape - it's just a shame his end product is very hit or miss. And when Ryan Blair is dictating things in the middle he's a joy to watch. He flitted in and out today; dominant for 15 minutes, scrappy for five, dominant for another 15, scrappy for 5. But if he can tidy that up he'll be a big player for us.

I thought it was interesting to hear Matty Shiels talking in his interview about seeing his future further up the park. I'd agree with that based on today; the guy is stupidly fast and very direct and I think he'll cause issues at this level. He should've had a goal about a minute after getting on, and the thought of him on one side and Kalvin Orsi on the other has got me genuinely excited. Especially on big, wide astroturf parks.

In terms of negatives; the glaring one is the goal. There were loud appeals for offside, but it was a terrible one to lose. Our own shot on the edge of the box being charged down and launched up the other end. Two defenders getting goal-side, then backing off and allowing Luke Mahady to pick his spot - and I think even Brett Long might be disappointed he didn't save it. But I'll need to see it back.

It's such a cliche, but Bonnyrigg are a big, physical side and well suited to the style of play they've got. Nobody will ever out-desire them and most teams who go to NDP will be in for a scrap. Much like us last season, they might not be a pretty side to watch - but I don't think many teams will enjoy coming up against them. If they had a striker who was vaguely close to being League Two quality then they'd be in with as good a shout of the playoffs as anyone. Because they won't concede that many this year, and there won't be too many better goalkeepers in lower league football than Paddy Martin. With no disrespect intended, I'm staggered he's back with the Rose and didn't end up somewhere like Alloa as their number one.

Luke Mahady couldn’t even get playing time on loan in LL recently before we agreed to release him, so it’s interesting to see him starting for Bonnyrigg. How did he look, overall?

6 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

For what it's worth to both sets of fans, every game Stirling had against  Rose last season was a struggle to overcome them. In fact we lost the first contest away from home.  They were no pushovers and deserved  more credit than many gave them.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Luke Mahady couldn’t even get playing time on loan in LL recently before we agreed to release him, so it’s interesting to see him starting for Bonnyrigg. How did he look, overall?

He came on for the last half-hour or so.  For his goal he looked awkward, gangly and raw which is a condemnation of our defending.  For the remainder of the game he was pretty anonymous.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

He came on for the last half-hour or so.  For his goal he looked awkward, gangly and raw which is a condemnation of our defending.  For the remainder of the game he was pretty anonymous.

That certainly sounds like the Luke that left us, thanks.

Bonnyrigg's (excellent) highlights are up. The Paddy Martin save from Michael Ruth's header in the second-half really is outstanding. It's not just getting a touch, it's the fact he has the strength to push it over the bar. Absolutely different class.

The defending for their goal. Absolutely not different class.

I can't understand why Crighton chooses to back off when he gets back into position. Madness. 

Got to feel for Ruth there too, in every clip there he did everything you'd want of a striker, just a shame Martin got his hand up to that header. A goal will come soon for him in this league though if he keeps getting in those positions.