Pars vs Airdrie - Sat 5th August

6 hours ago, parsforlife said:

BTW WTF is going on between the two clubs.   In 5 matches we've had 5 red cards(6 if you count mackay) 2 penalties, numerous penalty/red card claims not given and yet generally we're all pals,  both managers and squads clearly respect each other and there no animosity online. Its weird,  not bad just weird. 

I don't think it's that strange. Despite 5 sent off in 5 games, none of the games have been especially feisty. 2 for a second yellow (and I don't think either was in a game strewn with bookings), one for an innocuous handball, one for a marginal DOGSO tackle and the O'Hara high foot that just looked plain wrong. There's been decent football from both sides in all 5 games and the stuff right at the end yesterday is the first bit of needle I can remember in any of them. Just the way it goes sometimes.

13 hours ago, parsboi said:

That was a very good game, watching a proper clash of styles with Airdrie setting up with one of the most expansive attacking formation I’ve seen in a long time.  First half their front 3 sat right on our back 3, meaning Edwards and Comrie were forced to check a lot of their normal runs.  Midfield was then bypassed most of the time by Airdrie who looked to suck our front 2 plus young Tod onto their back line, pushing our team up, then being direct with long passes onto runners on our defensive sides.  Second half (and this is where McPake really earns his corn) we cut that out and changed shape ever so slightly to suffocate that - and that’s how the game was won.  McCabe shouldn’t have taken himself off if that was a tactical change - but he’ll learn.

Airdrie impressed me.  I think there is zero chance of them going down.  There’s far too many creative pacey players in that side, and I think McCabe and Fordyce really have something as a management team to believe that more growth is to come. They’ll take a pumping or two (like last season) but they’ll also catch a few teams in this league cold. 

As for us, yes, we need a few bodies and I mean a few.  But the core and spirit of our side will do us well, as long as they can react well to a few defeats - because we will absolutely lose a few games this season, and possibly a few in a row.  That’ll be the real test.

Feel like both of us will stay uo this yesr both teams need a couple more bodies in we’re taking our time with it tho as McCabe is wanting players ti suit the playstyle which is the smart thing and not just sign total duds that can play a simple pass 

13 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Firstly, the referee did give a free kick. Genuinely not sure why you’re trying to claim he didn’t.

Also, can I just check, were you at the game? Once the physios came on, You had multiple players surrounding the ref about it. Tod went over to check the keeper was alright and McCabe got in his face, waving his finger his finger at him etc. McPake even said we had to take Tod off because of the tension around that incident. If our manager felt the need to bring him off to protect him, I don’t know what you’re trying to achieve by outright lying, to claim that none of your team made a big deal about the incident to the officials.

If the keeper wasn’t feeling right, he did the right thing. However, at the time, everyone at that end of the ground seemed to get the same impression that the keeper looked fine, before McCabe told him to go down. I was worried about him after our equaliser, that looked a really sore one. But, I thought he looked ok after this one. However, having seen it back, looks like he wasn’t actually as ‘fine’ as I thought at the time. So I’m willing to hold my hands up and say I might have called that one wrong and I am genuinely glad the keeper’s alright.

As for asking why you’d be trying to slow the game down, you did this at every opportunity for the first 65 minutes, until we took the lead. So maybe you need to ask why that was your game plan? At least we only wasted time when we had a lead.

Also, if you were at the game, I find it hard to believe that you missed Frizzell going down in the centre circle holding his head to try and stop a counter attack. Just another thing that you’ve conveniently missed/forgotten.

We all see things from our own team’s perspective and yes, I’m aware I obviously have a biased point of view at Dunfermline games. But I seriously find it hard to believe that you didn’t see your players surrounding the ref after the incident between Tod and the keeper and I find it almost impossible to believe that you missed both that and the Frizzell fake head injury. The Frizzell one was so stupid. When the ball went out of play, he got up and ran to the ref to complain that play wasn’t stopped, ref asked if he needed treatment and he just said no, then ran off again.

Just watched both incidents back on our stream and you're having a nightmare here, nobody surrounded the ref after the Tod foul. The refs standing by himself for the full incident with our players more concerned about the goalkeeper.

As for Frizz apparently faking a head injury, he goes down as the balls played up from our defence towards your box, way before the ball is played over to Edwards(?) by your centre half. To claim he went down just to stop the counter attack is nonsense.

Might explain why Diamonds are Forever didn't see what your claiming.

On 06/08/2023 at 09:43, Diamonds are Forever said:

Was keen to see this back as my initial reaction to your post was that you were talking nonsense, and seeing it back just confirms what utter rubbish you were talking.

Firstly there is no 'fake head knock', Clarke gets a full-on thigh/knee to the head. The instant this happens McCabe turns to the bench to signal medical help, Clarke gets on to his knees but looks a bit weary and McCabe rightly tells him to take his time and wait to be seen by medics. Not once does McCabe even look at the referee or appeal for a foul, not once. Airdrie had the ball so there was no advantage to us to stopping, the game was a draw at the time and the ref hadn't even given a foul (rightly, it was just a clash) the idea that he was faking a head knock and then McCabe trying to get him booked (or time waste?) is nonsense. Many times players can be concussed but think they are okay, stopping the game and checking he was fine after that knock was absolutely the right thing to do.

You've tried to present yourself as being concerned with the welfare of players yet when a player gets a knock to the head you don't think he should be properly assessed because you were clearly too caught up in the game.

I didn't see the other incident you spoke about but given your ridiculous analysis of the Clarke one it's safe to assume that's nonsense too.

Given he apparently hit his head on the post at the Dunfermline equaliser definitely genuine and for me I was surprised given the new concussion rules that Airdrie weren't forced to bring him off

5 minutes ago, mikepar24 said:

Given he apparently hit his head on the post at the Dunfermline equaliser definitely genuine and for me I was surprised given the new concussion rules that Airdrie weren't forced to bring him off

Here's the goalies take on it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/celtic-goalkeeper-didnt-mind-bumps-30644009?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

11 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Early days and all that but I’d been keen to hear how pars fans think we’ll cope this season. Given that we haven’t been in this league in donkeys and Dunfermline were only  away briefly, can Airdrie stay up? 

Anyone can win this league (although Dundee Utd should and probably will, based on Gallagher and Moult signing) and anyone can go down (including both of us, although I fear for Arbroath). The challenge for you guys (and Queen's Park I'd suggest) will be that there are more grass pitches than astro, and that might not suit your style of play in midwinter, and that running with such a small squad (I appreciate loans can and will come in) can make things tricky. I also think Ayr, Morton and Queen's Park won't be as good as last season but that's just my gut talking.

Tl;dr: I'd say you have as good a chance of any of staying up. 

15 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Early days and all that but I’d been keen to hear how pars fans think we’ll cope this season. Given that we haven’t been in this league in donkeys and Dunfermline were only  away briefly, can Airdrie stay up? 

It’ll be a very tight league. Other than Dundee United, I don’t think there’ll be much between any of the teams. I think Airdrie have enough quality in the attack (once everyone’s fit), but I think you might need to mix things up a bit. You play some good football, but leave yourselves very vulnerable at the back.

If you continue the passing out from the back, you’ll come up against much better attacking players than you did on Saturday, who will punish you. In the lead up to the first goal, better attackers would either go down when the defender rips McCann’s shirts and get the defender sent off for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, or score. Likewise, a more experienced player than Tod probably wouldn’t take such a heavy touch in the incident that saw the keeper go down.

I also think you need to be willing to lump the ball into the box to try and get points late on, in games like Saturday. Every point could prove crucial at the end of the season in the championship.

You need to strengthen your defence if you want to stay up, but I’m sure you’re aware of that. A defence that collapsed multiple occasions in League 1 will struggle in the championship, particularly if you don’t change your style of play to help them out. I think you conceded 3+ goals in 25% of league games last season, so I’m very surprised you haven’t strengthened that area. Still time though and you’ll probably be fine with a few more additions and a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions.

Edited by CallumPar

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

It’ll be a very tight league. Other than Dundee United, I don’t think there’ll be much between any of the teams. I think Airdrie have enough quality in the attack (once everyone’s fit), but I think you might need to mix things up a bit. You play some good football, but leave yourselves very vulnerable at the back.

If you continue the passing out from the back, you’ll come up against much better attacking players than you did on Saturday, who will punish you. In the lead up to the first goal, better attackers would either go down when the defender rips McCann’s shirts and get the defender sent off for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, or score. Likewise, a more experienced player than Tod probably wouldn’t take such a heavy touch in the incident that saw the keeper go down.

I also think you need to be willing to lump the ball into the box to try and get points late on, in games like Saturday. Every point could prove crucial at the end of the season in the championship.

You need to strengthen your defence if you want to stay up, but I’m sure you’re aware of that. A defence that collapsed multiple occasions in League 1 will struggle in the championship, particularly if you don’t change your style of play to help them out. I think you conceded 3+ goals in 25% of league games last season, so I’m very surprised you haven’t strengthened that area. Still time though and you’ll probably be fine with a few more additions and a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions.

Yeah I do agree with this. However, with the current settled back 4 we were a lot more solid at the back and pretty much all of the games we collapsed defensively last year or conceded 3+ was with a different combination usually with young deveney at left back who really struggled defensively at times and Watson out of position at centre back, not to mention Rae being out for the first half of the season.

So I don’t actually think we’re far off defensively as we’ve just got Hancock who will hopefully provide a bit of pace at left centre back. I’d say if we get a decent out and out left back I’d be really happy with our defence for the season at least personnel wise. That with another winger with a bit more end product and I’d be pretty confident of a decent season.

3 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah I do agree with this. However, with the current settled back 4 we were a lot more solid at the back and pretty much all of the games we collapsed defensively last year or conceded 3+ was with a different combination usually with young deveney at left back who really struggled defensively at times and Watson out of position at centre back, not to mention Rae being out for the first half of the season.

So I don’t actually think we’re far off defensively as we’ve just got Hancock who will hopefully provide a bit of pace at left centre back. I’d say if we get a decent out and out left back I’d be really happy with our defence for the season at least personnel wise. That with another winger with a bit more end product and I’d be pretty confident of a decent season.

That’s probably fair. You’ll be in a much better position to judge than me. I wasn’t at the last game we played at Airdrie last season, so just basing my opinion on the first 3 and the game on Saturday. I think you were 2nd best in terms of clean sheets in League 1, so clearly defended well in a number of games. I think you seemed prone to collapse if you had to change any personnel, hence my comment on needing additions at the back for depth - is that fair? As I say, 2/3 decent signings and a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions and I think you’ll be set for a decent enough season in the championship.

That’s not exclusive to Airdrie though, I think a lot of teams (including ourselves) are in the same position, needing a few decent signings and some luck with injuries/suspensions - something we’ve not had so far. But we definitely had a lot of luck with avoiding injuries/suspensions to key players last year.

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Of course they can.

Not much to split majority of teams in the league in quality so good signings, injuries, good/shite managers make a lot of difference.

I’d be surprised if Airdrie finished top 4 but it’s easy enough to imagine at least two teams being worse over 36 games.

Watching the highlights, I was shocked at the number of times Airdrie lost possession in their own half, which obviously included the build up to the first goal, and there was even one where they lost it passing out their own box from a goal kick. They're going to have to wise up very quickly about when to just hoof it before playing themselves into trouble or that's going to cost a lot of goals.

I thought the keeper couldn't kick and they were forced into it for that reason until we saw them totally change it the 2nd half and he kicked long. Bizarre they stuck with that for the whole 1st half as it was obviously not working and we pressed from the front