Inverness v QP

I watched Inverness’ highlights video so it could be biased but that reaffirmed my opinion. Queens are 100% the better footballing team but the game is won or lost in both boxes. The goals we conceded were gifts / poor and the majority of the decent chances were created by us. It feels more so like we defeated ourselves.

Really sharp from Hepburn for the first goal. You see him immediately sprinting forward as soon as Paton wins the flick-on, probably not thinking the defender's going to slip up but making sure he's there in case he does. Then once he's got the ball he's got his head up right away, sees Thomas, and the pass is perfect.

Robson deserves a lot of credit for his goal as well. Yes it's poor defending, but he shows the sort of composure a lot of strikers lack in that situation. Robson's frustrating as a player because he'll put in a string of great performances then go weeks where he really struggles, but with Bruce breathing down his neck this season he'll know that he's got to keep his performance levels up.

Just had a look back at the highlights of the game (the Inverness and QP versions are different) and they both indicate that Queen's were the better team. Good flowing football from us, rarely resorting to hoofball and creating many of the best chances in the match. The Spiders midfield appeared pretty relaxed but the same group for Inverness were a bit disjointed.

Inverness appeared to be tactically poor with no real strategy showing from their play. It would be interesting to know what Dodds' team talk before the match was and how were they set up for the game. They still threatened from time to time with nice breakaways and made a good few opportunities for themselves. Bray, when he came on, showed some great touches but MacKay, on his big day, didn't really show. And it had to be Jake that scored for them!

McKenna was great in goal and it was good to see him, even at 16, telling the defence to get their act together. Longridge at right back had one of his best games in ages - long may that continue and Robson pushing forwards is good to watch. Spong was also great - I don't think he sits as deep as Mal did last season but if he keeps playing like that, we have nothing to worry about. He and Charlie will develop a greater understanding as the season progresses. Hepburn Paton and Thomas can be really exciting going forward and there could be the makings on a good attack line there. Seemed to tire a bit towards the end which could be a worry as the season progresses.

All in all, a good display from a pretty young QP team and great to get the league season off to a winning start. I honestly expected a one all draw but the new lads brought in have settled well and I have some hopes for a good mid-table finish.  

Most encouraging aspect of the three points is that we’re clearly nowhere near bedded in. Not really in our DNA to see a game out comfortably, so that was probably asking a bit much!

Spong looks the part. Tbh, I think most of the team made an effective contribution. We need to get McKenna tied down to a deal on a good wage, with a huge sell on. Boy is going to the very top. Should do better for the goal, but there’s also an argument to say we might not win that game without him. 

Mental Health minister Maree Todd also randomly in the away end. Seems she has family from Glasgow who grew up in the Southside and support QP. 

31 minutes ago, an86 said:

Mental Health minister Maree Todd also randomly in the away end. Seems she has family from Glasgow who grew up in the Southside and support QP. 

I've seen her tweet about the club a few times over the years, she's definitely a Queen's supporter.

18 hours ago, an86 said:

Scottish Cabinet Secretary for Health Michael Matheson’s elder son is currently in the QP CAS Elite squad. Despite living a stone’s throw from the New Hampden Village, Michael remains loyal to The Jags. 

Politics and sport can mix it seems.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks