Inverness v QP

And so it begins again.. 

Despite a disappointing cup campaign, I’m still buzzing to get back into league business again. There’s always a notable increase on the intensity of league matches and I think (or I hope at least) that was the case over the last 4 games

Hopefully Veldman and the players have learnt a few things regarding the style of play they’re trying to implement. We’re just needing to accept that errors will be apparent early doors and it will be incredibly frustrating at points. Hoping this works long term and we see the fruits of the process 

Assuming Fox is suspended, the lineup I would go for is 

Mckenna 

Longridge (hope someone is signed)

Tizzard 

Bannon 

Bruce 

Spong 

Thomson 

Turner 

Healy 

Thomas

Paton 

I don't think Fox's suspension will carry across to the league - I'm sure somebody will know the rules better than me, but that's only for serious foul play or violent conduct, and my understanding is he was sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity (so he won't miss any games until the League Cup next year). Could be wrong though!

13 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think Fox's suspension will carry across to the league - I'm sure somebody will know the rules better than me, but that's only for serious foul play or violent conduct, and my understanding is he was sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity (so he won't miss any games until the League Cup next year). Could be wrong though!

That is my understanding.

Queen’s Park 🤝 ICT………disappointing League Cup campaigns 

Healy for Hepburn the key change for me, fine with any combination of the centre halves, either goalie or either left back.

Not convinced by Jack Turner yet but fully expect him to start. 

10 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

I expect to see Calum back in goal after Callan cost us a goal... 

I rate Ferrie highly and think he will start just because he's still our number one, but even though he made a bad mistake McKenna looks more comfortable on the ball than him IMO (presumably because the young guys have been using this system for longer).

11 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I rate Ferrie highly and think he will start just because he's still our number one, but even though he made a bad mistake McKenna looks more comfortable on the ball than him IMO (presumably because the young guys have been using this system for longer).

It’s not even solely the distribution factor that’s impressed me with McKenna, he’s also made some genuinely impressive saves. QOTS had a couple of great chances early doors and McKenna dealt with it very well. 

I’m a massive fan of Ferrie and I feel he does gets a right hard time off some of our support but his distribution is a weakness (it has significantly improved the last year) and I worry he’d get hung out to dry with this style of play 

Even from a financial perspective, McKenna comes in and does well for a season or two, chances are we’d make a fair whack of money considering he’s only 16 and massive. Don’t think I’ve been as confident about a 16 year deal playing in a first team environment since we had Anthony Ralston on loan years ago 

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

Queen’s Park 🤝 ICT………disappointing League Cup campaigns 

Healy for Hepburn the key change for me, fine with any combination of the centre halves, either goalie or either left back.

Not convinced by Jack Turner yet but fully expect him to start. 

Thought Turner has been terrific..does so much running and I think he has the little bit of dig that we need …did not understand why he was taken off on Saturday 

1 hour ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

I expect to see Calum back in goal after Callan cost us a goal... 

The more I've watched Callan's 'mistake' back, the more I think the fault lies with the poor pass back to him that was played  between him and the attacker, and in line with the goal, rather than to the side of the goal like every other pass was all afternoon.

I'm not singling Bannon out for criticism, as I rate him highly, just defending Callan a bit. That said Callan could have just put his foot through it first time.

Either way, it's perhaps no bad thing for either of them to make that kind of error in a competitive, but largely unimportant game (we were out the cup anyway), and learn from it there rather than have it cost us league points.

38 minutes ago, QP MAD said:

Thought Turner has been terrific..does so much running and I think he has the little bit of dig that we need …did not understand why he was taken off on Saturday 

I agree, I've been impressed with Turner so far. A few slack passes admittedly, but the good has outweighed the bad.

40 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

The more I've watched Callan's 'mistake' back, the more I think the fault lies with the poor pass back to him that was played  between him and the attacker, and in line with the goal, rather than to the side of the goal like every other pass was all afternoon.

I'm not singling Bannon out for criticism, as I rate him highly, just defending Callan a bit. That said Callan could have just put his foot through it first time.

Either way, it's perhaps no bad thing for either of them to make that kind of error in a competitive, but largely unimportant game (we were out the cup anyway), and learn from it there rather than have it cost us league points.

Yeah, it's maybe no bad thing to learn these lessons early on. McKenna got away with some very tidy footwork in the first half that seemed a bit risky, but surely would have given him confidence. Bannon's pass was a bit wayward, but hopefully the mistake will have helped to develop the judgement of when you just need to put your foot through it.

I'm fully behind the style of play, but agree with Bridge of Weirdo's post (added below because I forgot what forum I was on!):

Am I kidding myself on to think that the last 4 games were to trial a new style of play for us which includes our keeper playing a far more proactive part of playing the ball 'out from the back' rather than a real intention of progressing in the diddy cup  ?. If it continues into the league program which starts at Inverness next week it won't be long before it's realised that a high pressure line will (as it did today) eventually result with mistakes ending in tap-ins. 

I'm no fan of hoof ball but there is a lot to be said for a well placed long ball and although playing from the back looks great if it is executed correctly especially if it results in a shooting opportunity there imo has to be a balance between the two styles and not what seems to be the case at the moment of an almost obsession on playing it back even if there are openings elsewhere.

Looking forward to the real stuff starting next week and can only hope that gaining 3 points even at this stage of the season is not sacrificed for the sake of an experiment?.

Edited by Velvet Donkey

3 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

That's exactly how it looked to me

On 30/07/2023 at 14:16, qpfc said:

And so it begins again.. 

Despite a disappointing cup campaign, I’m still buzzing to get back into league business again. There’s always a notable increase on the intensity of league matches and I think (or I hope at least) that was the case over the last 4 games

Hopefully Veldman and the players have learnt a few things regarding the style of play they’re trying to implement. We’re just needing to accept that errors will be apparent early doors and it will be incredibly frustrating at points. Hoping this works long term and we see the fruits of the process 

Assuming Fox is suspended, the lineup I would go for is 

Mckenna 

Longridge (hope someone is signed)

Tizzard 

Bannon 

Bruce 

Spong 

Thomson 

Turner 

Healy 

Thomas

Paton 

Throwing my 2 pence in. Granted I’ve only seen the last few home games I definitely would keep Hepburn on the wing with his pace and creativity, it looks to me like he is a level above and needs better service to get on the ball more. That being said he does sometimes struggle with the physical side but again if they could move the ball quicker that wouldn’t be such a problem. 

I liked Healy when he came on looked a live wire and I would start him on the wing with Hepburn and have Dom Thomas in the middle, he lacks pace for a winger but he is strong, plays intelligent football and can move the ball quickly. 

I am not sure what the rules are regarding the red card but Fox will be a big miss if he’s out for the next game. 

Also happy with either goalie. 

Unfortunately I won’t see the game but hope the boys get the win.