The Lions v The Dons (Sat 5th Aug)

Wee tweak in shape from the 3-4-2-1 to a 3-4-1-2. Nouble and Guthrie up front with Sangare behind them. I think the switch to two strikers was partly to stop Aberdeen's wide centre backs being able to take part in their build up. Guthrie being chosen ahead of Anderson was maybe because Martindale thought Aberdeen are too good to play through. Therefore we'd often need to knock it high, long and direct with Guthrie providing a target. Guthrie looked to draw Rubezic into a one on one battle that first half. The idea there that'd tie Rubezic up so he couldn't step forward onto Nouble or Sangare if they got on the ball centrally. Shinnie and Clarkson were marked out the game first half by Holt and Sangare, respectively. That defensive shift coupled with the constant bursts forward when we got possession had Sangare blowing out his arse by half time. He did well but needed subbed.

Pittman was a man possessed in that second half. His high pressing and ball winning in midfield was the main reason we were able to push Aberdeen back second half and limit them to counter attacks. 

Brandon's defending was impressive, he largely shut down Hayes which is not easily done. Montaño was his usual excellent self on the other side.

Devlin and De Lucas were immense especially considering the quality of their direct opponents (Miovski and Duk).

A hugely frustrating game. You have to credit Livingston, they’re very effective at what they do. It’s so difficult to find any space. Every time you think you’re in an area the ball comes in the box and it feels like there’s 40 of them in there. The game was absolutely played on their terms. 

Saying that, we did have moments in the first half and the start of the second when we got into areas and we were just so wasteful. If we want to think of ourselves as a good team you need to show your quality when it’s really needed. We couldn’t do it. 

The one that sticks with me most is second half polvara winning the ball high up the pitch, has duk and miovski running off him and he rushes it and plays a stinker of a pass to duk. Simply not good enough. 

Squad needs a hell of a lot of work to get through this season. Hayes and mckenzie are not tierney and Robertson, let’s put it that way. Anyone still thinking we can get through the season relying on them needs a head wobble. 

Having now watched the highlights it looked like a pretty even game. Best chance was Jonny Hayes at the back post when he sclaffed it. The Bruce Anderson injury looked like a normal challenge which went wrong for Bruce, particularly the way he fell. Wish him speedy recovery. Not sure that I'm too confident going into the Celtic game with the same defence, so trust that it won't be.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

A hugely frustrating game. You have to credit Livingston, they’re very effective at what they do. It’s so difficult to find any space. Every time you think you’re in an area the ball comes in the box and it feels like there’s 40 of them in there. The game was absolutely played on their terms. 

Saying that, we did have moments in the first half and the start of the second when we got into areas and we were just so wasteful. If we want to think of ourselves as a good team you need to show your quality when it’s really needed. We couldn’t do it. 

The one that sticks with me most is second half polvara winning the ball high up the pitch, has duk and miovski running off him and he rushes it and plays a stinker of a pass to duk. Simply not good enough. 

Squad needs a hell of a lot of work to get through this season. Hayes and mckenzie are not tierney and Robertson, let’s put it that way. Anyone still thinking we can get through the season relying on them needs a head wobble. 

I think Robson needs to stop instructing the team to play so many long balls too.

Yes, that embarrassment of a pitch should be burned, it’s an amateur level pitch, but it’s a general concern I have of him.

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I think Robson needs to stop instructing the team to play so many long balls too.

Yes, that embarrassment of a pitch should be burned, it’s an amateur level pitch, but it’s a general concern I have of him.

Yes, it’s ‘2nd ball football’. Folk moan that miovski doesn’t win headers but that isn’t the idea. It’s to rattle the centre halves and get duk and clarkson on the ball higher up the pitch from the 2nd ball. 

What baffles me is, teams like livi live for that type of game and will eat it up. You have to win the fight and show your quality when the opportunity presents. 

6 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is Martindale back on the Colombian marching powder?

”I thought it was a good game”.

Jesus Christ 😆

You’ll struggle to see a worse game of football all season between two shite teams. 

What a clown 

For Clown see Robson's post match comments, classless tit.

From a Livi perspective it was a good game, obv Aberdeen fans wont have enjoyed it, we dictated how the game was played and they couldn't do anything to change it. It was how Martindale set out his team and tactics and it went beautifully. Maybe Robson needs to look at his own failings though, before spitting his dummy.

8 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

You actually think he instructed them to play long balls, we made you play long balls and he couldn't find a way to change it, which is his job.

7 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You actually think he instructed them to play long balls, we made you play long balls and he couldn't find a way to change it, which is his job.

He will have. It’s similar to how mcinnes set up against Tommy wrights st Johnstone. Match up to the fight and don’t get overrun by it. Then hope that a moment of individual quality or luck wins you the game. 

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

For Clown see Robson's post match comments, classless tit.

From a Livi perspective it was a good game, obv Aberdeen fans wont have enjoyed it, we dictated how the game was played and they couldn't do anything to change it. It was how Martindale set out his team and tactics and it went beautifully. Maybe Robson needs to look at his own failings though, before spitting his dummy.

I agree, his comments were “deflection” tactics maybe  … or delusional. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is Martindale back on the Colombian marching powder?

”I thought it was a good game”.

Jesus Christ 😆

You’ll struggle to see a worse game of football all season between two shite teams. 

What a clown 

They had divert incoming flights to Edinburgh because the ball was close to hitting planes 

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Robson admitted on RedTV they decided to go route one, due to the pace of our forwards compared to Livi’s defenders.

if that was the plan, presumably the execution wasn’t meant to entail just constantly kicking it up to the bonces of their centre-halves.

As for Martindale’s “good game” quote - I have no issue with that - what neutrals and supporters/players/coaches class as a good game can vary differently.

From his point of view, it was tactically astute - and for us, the positive was being relatively comfortable defensively with a new/makeshift line up there.

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Robson admitted on RedTV they decided to go route one, due to the pace of our forwards compared to Livi’s defenders.

if that was the plan, presumably the execution wasn’t meant to entail just constantly kicking it up to the bonces of their centre-halves.

As for Martindale’s “good game” quote - I have no issue with that - what neutrals and supporters/players/coaches class as a good game can vary differently.

From his point of view, it was tactically astute - and for us, the positive was being relatively comfortable defensively with a new/makeshift line up there.

Pace wise montano and Brandon are very quick for wingbacks, and de Lucas must be one of the quicker cbs in the league which is probably why he started. Thought he pocketed duk completely, and managed to avoid any dodgy moments which he can be prone to, de Lucas playing like that every week is a nailed on starter so hopefully he can find some solid consistency. A settled back line makes such a big difference.

3 hours ago, Menga Bus said:

Pace wise montano and Brandon are very quick for wingbacks, and de Lucas must be one of the quicker cbs in the league which is probably why he started. Thought he pocketed duk completely, and managed to avoid any dodgy moments which he can be prone to, de Lucas playing like that every week is a nailed on starter so hopefully he can find some solid consistency. A settled back line makes such a big difference.

I think both DeLucas and Obileye are much better suited to a back three than a two/four. I’d expect us to stick with that formation to make us more solid as we were a little generous second half of last season!

6 minutes ago, Snooky said:

I think both DeLucas and Obileye are much better suited to a back three than a two/four. I’d expect us to stick with that formation to make us more solid as we were a little generous second half of last season!

Definitely, I'd also add that Michael Devlin seems to instill a sense of calm in the backline. He rarely looked troubled against Miovski and De Lucas absolutely killed any danger from Duk allowing Ayo to mop up loose balls and match midfield runners

43 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

As far as 0-0s go, that was an entertaining 0-0. Definitely not a boring game

Maybe from your perspective. My eyes were honestly hurting for about 10 minutes after that game until they re-adjusted to normal life. 

No complaints though, not good enough to win.