If you could change ONE THING about Scottish Football, what would it be?

20 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Having the winner of Premier 2 or even the runner up qualify for Europe is like giving a spot to the winners of the Championship.

That aside for the majority of the teams you have nothing to play for in the second half of the season,

Do you reset the points after round 1?

Sure, having the winner of Premier 2 trophy is comparible to winning the Championship trophy. But the winner could play a play off for a European spot with 4th or whoever in Premier 1. 

It gives them something to play for, plus the others who will be fighting relegation.

The only issue is the top 10 in "Premier 1". But not having relegation staring them in the face would have them playing decent football, rather than the dross we see now. we'd see more attacking play.

Points would be reset yes. So teams won't be so far apart. Celtic and rangers would be a lot closer to 3rd.

There'd be more fight for places than a regular 20 club league that we see all over Europe.

In terms of fan experience, something that I would like to see change is the attitude of clubs in relation to visiting supporters. 

Four of us travelled to Airdrie yesterday, along with another 500/600 Ayr United fans. We spent money on transport, match tickets, food and drink. We settled down to enjoy the match from behind the goals, because the stand opposite the Airdrie support and running across the side of the pitch is totally closed. The stadium announcer gave a wonderful testimonial to the career of Ian McMillan and a minute's silence was impeccably observed by both sets of supporters. 

As the game progressed the announcer kept us informed about the scorers for Airdrie and the Airdrie substitutions. Apparently, Ayr United didn't score any goals and made no substitutions because I assume the announcer would have let us know if any of these things had happened. Having said that, I'm almost certain that Ayr scored three goals and they definitely made quite a few substitutions. 

On leaving the stadium we were prevented from returning to our car by a line of stewards and one explained that we would need to walk around the entire stadium to get back to our car. Meanwhile Airdrie supporters were allowed to walk in the opposite direction, so there was no segregation issue. 

Forgive my cynicism and sarcasm but;

Why do home sides insist on treating paying customers as an inconvenience ?

Is it too much to ask that visiting fans are seated in an area that is best suited to watching the match ? 

What is the reason for disregarding information about the contribution of the away team to the match ?

Are they content in the knowledge that any neutral spectators were left in the dark about 50% of the match information ?

I do understand the tribalism that exists in football; championing your own team whilst showing contempt for the opposition. However, people pay good money to attend matches and adopting the stance that Airdrie FC did yesterday, in deliberately disregarding the provision of information for Ayr United supporters and neutral spectators, makes them look deliberately unfriendly, petty, and lacking class. 

I should point out that Airdrie are not the only 'offenders' when it comes to fan experience. I've experienced the same at many grounds and for all I know maybe some people have been subjected to an unfriendly reception at Somerset Park. The point is that most of this nonsense is unnecessary and maybe fans and supporters' groups need to start speaking up about this for the benefit of supporters of all teams. 

• 2 weeks later...

VAR should be kept BUT other than automated stuff (ball out of play / over goal line) each dugout should get three challenges to use to check *specific* offences (eg. Handball by no 3 in box, our no 9 held by no 4 in box, etc) like tennis. No speculative challenges, penalties of some kind for spurious claims. 

No reason why Scotland can't lead the way in applying VAR sensibly.

Instead of more opportunity to arrive at correct decisions, cynics might say the current method just gives more opportunities to produced preferred outcomes

• 1 month later...

Not the most important issue but something worth discussing...

At most ground you'll have one empty stand where the camera is usually facing and when the game is live on TV then it just looks terrible and tinpot. Why can't clubs either move where the camera is situated or move the fans to another area of the stadium where available seats are.

One example is McDiarmid Park/StJohnstone, where two of the side stands are used mainly for home fans aswell as one of the stand behind the goals which are all usually sparsely populated or half empty.  Why not just move all the home fans into one of the side where the camera faces and behind the goal? 

On 20/04/2024 at 08:35, Butters Scotch said:

Not the most important issue but something worth discussing...

At most ground you'll have one empty stand where the camera is usually facing and when the game is live on TV then it just looks terrible and tinpot. Why can't clubs either move where the camera is situated or move the fans to another area of the stadium where available seats are.

One example is McDiarmid Park/StJohnstone, where two of the side stands are used mainly for home fans aswell as one of the stand behind the goals which are all usually sparsely populated or half empty.  Why not just move all the home fans into one of the side where the camera faces and behind the goal? 

Bugbear of mine aswell. Problem is that the biggest stands holding the most fans are usually the most modern with facilities for cameras etc. 

Killie's busiest stand is the east where the cameras are, Partick, Dundee, St Johnstone Aberdeen, Motherwell.

Lot of the older main stands aren't suitable to stick cameras, pillars at killie main reason.