Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

Others might’ve seen it differently but felt Gilmour was the best of the midfield 4 so why he came off first I had no idea. Mcgregor and Mcginns worst games in a Scotland top that I can remember. Been a big fan of Porteous but he seemed to freeze a little and jump into tackles a little too readily. Robertson was poor first half too, but improved in second half. 

After all the good results/performances a poor one was always on the horizon but for so many not to turn up on the same night was disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I wish there were.

Back when England had their 'golden generation', they had a very very good team, but the English pundits were blind to the quality of the opposition.

Like Scholes (I think) said recently (and I paraphrase), "yeah we were good, but I was playing against the likes of Zidane and Xavi".

Germany are pretty meh, these days, so are Italy, so are Holland, so are Spain as we showed and Belgium have past their peak. France are the one big European team that seems to keep producing exceptional talent (and Portugal to a lesser extent).

England have as good a chance to win a major trophy in the next few tournaments as they've had in many a year.

Reasons to be fearful.

So they'll win the euros then

Better for a reality check like that in a friendly than the ones we've had in huge matches against Ukraine and Croatia. Got to also say that that's the best side we've played since Belgium in 2019, but our press looked miles off it and the only way we could disrupt England was to give away fouls.

As shite as tonight was, we can't judge our progress by comparing ourselves to the second-best team in Europe. 

Funny how clueless some fans, that watch football all their lives, can be. McGregor was our best outfield player, Gunn had a great night too. 

The cheering of Maguire’s passes when we were 2-0 down was extremely weird. Very much shows the social media driven EPL wankfest the world has now become.

Disappointing tonight but we lost to a very good side, thought we were a wee bit naive and had to try frustrate them a bit more. A game for Dykes to allow us to throw it forward if needed.

People still need to stay positive. We move on. 

3 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Others might’ve seen it differently but felt Gilmour was the best of the midfield 4 so why he came off first I had no idea. Mcgregor and Mcginns worst games in a Scotland top that I can remember. Been a big fan of Porteous but he seemed to freeze a little and jump into tackles a little too readily. Robertson was poor first half too, but improved in second half. 

After all the good results/performances a poor one was always on the horizon but for so many not to turn up on the same night was disappointing. 

Agree about Gilmour but thought Porteous did very well. Could be wrong though. 

McGregor and Gunn the only two who turned up and didn’t look in awe of their opposition. Robertson was their best player and Maguire was our best. 

A reality check that was badly needed. Said it the other day in the Harvey Barnes thread but people had got far too carried away to the point people were genuinely saying Barnes wouldn’t get a game and not be disrespectful to have call him up instead of fucking Lawrence Shankland. 

We’ve improved dramatically and are definitely on the up but you just had to see the how far ahead the likes of Foden or Dunk who aren’t starters or even regulars for them compared to our players in similar positions. 

We need to go and try get all the eligible talent we can get. Not just for now but the long term. Barnes, Anderson, Livramento etc. are miles ahead or will be in time compared to the likes of Armstrong, Patterson, Christie etc.

f**k respecting dross, we need to be ruthless  

10 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Which teams?

Argentina, France, not many others, I get we hate them but with a decent manager they could be very good. Way better than us.

We are performing at a very high level right now, when it matters. We just beat Spain at home and Norway away when it really mattered and as long as we perform as best we can we can't complain.

Just be glad Steve Clarke isn't managing England.

I'd bet Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, to start would beat us.

5 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from the fact of who the opposition was tonight.

If that was Brazil, Argentina or France there wouldn't be as much hand wringing.

Spot on. England are on that sort of level. Performance was poor but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Agree about Gilmour but thought Porteous did very well. Could be wrong though. 

A few times early on Rashford managed to get across him, he seemed to dive in very easily but improved as the game went on so I’m probably being slightly harsh. 

There was one where he basically took out Bellingham and if it hadn’t been offside earlier in the phase of play I’d reckon they’d have had a penalty 

We were second best tonight by a mile, no denying that, but as said already it’s better to have a reality check/wake up call/whatever you want to call it in a friendly than in a competitive game. England very clearly have better players than us in every department, but it just felt that something wasn’t clicking tonight for us.

Hopefully Clarke uses the time between now and the Spain game to look over what went wrong so we come back stronger.

This one is going to bother me for a while, not that we lost to England who were very good in the first half and Bellingham dictated the match. 

Rather we didn't show up to our own party, Robertson and Tierney had their poorest outings in well possibly ever. The midfield was so weak tonight, McGinn looked off the pace, McTominay was AWOL and McGregor only passed backwards but in fairness there was nothing in front of him. Adams had a thankless task and Dykes didn't fair any better. 

But worse than that we just didn't have any fight in us. 

Now I'm not saying that the result would have been any different had we turned up All guns blazing, but it would have made for a better game and it might not have given Bellingham the freedom of Glasgow. 

This is where Clarke will earn his corn. He has to pick the team up for a Spain game we will likely lose while at the exact same time make it clear tonight was unacceptable. He might also want to work out why we shite it for big occasions at Hampden ie: the Ukraine game.

We gave Spain in 2010 a much better game than England tonight. That’s the best team I have ever seen. Tonight was so poor from us. I am not buying this gulf in class talk.

I can absolutely accept getting beat but not when we don’t even lay a glove on a team. 

We are not anywhere near England, but you still expect something extra tonight. Very disappointing. At least we got it away in match not worth our way to the Euros, but it is still frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

A few times early on Rashford managed to get across him, he seemed to dive in very easily but improved as the game went on so I’m probably being slightly harsh. 

There was one where he basically took out Bellingham and if it hadn’t been offside earlier in the phase of play I’d reckon they’d have had a penalty 

Like I said, I could be wrong. I just thought he did well in his individual duels and tended to make the right passes. Wasn't easy with England's runners in behind and Kane dropping deep.