Injuries

@2426255 - You are good at tracking the minutes and stuff. Am I right in saying these are the potential injury doubts out of the 28? Have I missed anyone?

John Souttar - Missed the last few Rangers games

Stuart Armstrong - Not played in a month but Russell Martin expects him to make the Euros 

Ben Doak - Not played in months but in full training 

Ryan Jack - Barely played all season but has been available for a few weeks

Scott McTominay - Limped out of the FA cup final 

Hanley, Cooper and Tierney are fit I believe. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

@2426255 - You are good at tracking the minutes and stuff. Am I right in saying these are the potential injury doubts out of the 28? Have I missed anyone?

John Souttar - Missed the last few Rangers games

Stuart Armstrong - Not played in a month but Russell Martin expects him to make the Euros 

Ben Doak - Not played in months but in full training 

Ryan Jack - Barely played all season but has been available for a few weeks

Scott McTominay - Limped out of the FA cup final 

Hanley, Cooper and Tierney are fit I believe. 

I think were question marks around Souttar, Armstrong, Doak, Jack, Adams and Hanley before the games this weekend. Adams played a bit today and McTominay is maybe a doubt now after the game on Saturday. So yeah I'm on the same page as you.

Hanley, Jack and Doak have to prove their fitness and aren't probably injured. McTominay, Souttar and Armstrong probably have injuries. Adams I'm not too sure. That's my interpretation given the limited information available.

Edited by 2426255

McTominay is fine.

Steve Clarke said that Ryan Jack has been fit to play for the Rangers for a couple weeks. The Rangers manager disputed that Claim.

Doak has been out for u months. Calling him up is one thing, having him in the final 26 is quite another.

All of the aforementioned players have a couple weeks to heal and to train. It'll mostly about match fitness with Armstrong, Doak and Jack than actual fitness.

I can’t shake the idea that John Souttar is going to be the guy dropped. Doak and Armstrong probably get taken to Germany if they have any chance of being fit because they give us different options. Souttar is injured AND lower down the pecking order so I think he will be the cut.

RCB you’ve got Hendry and Porteous who both seem ahead of Souttar.

CCB Grant Hanley, Hendry and possibly you could play Cooper or McKenna there

LCB is Tierney’s role with McKenna and Cooper also able to play it.

In a back four Hendry/Porteous/Hanley can all play RCB and McKenna/Porteous/Cooper can play LCB.

Ultimately I see little downside to Souttar missing out on the squad which is a shame as I rate him as a player.

I think Kelly will also miss out unless one of the other injured guys is going to miss the tournament outright. Only then would you see 4 keepers already.

So Souttar and Kelly are the likely 2 cuts imo. 

I think it'll be Doak who misses out.

The only reason being that he's been injured for 5/6 months and hasn't played in 7.

Hope I'm wrong. I hope he goes to Germany, whether he plays or not.

Barring injury or illness, Ben Doak IS the future. It'll be great to assimilate him into the full squad ASAP.

Kelly, I think will be the second player to be chopped. He's had a good season, but he's soon to be glued to the Rangers bench for a few seasons.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I can’t shake the idea that John Souttar is going to be the guy dropped. Doak and Armstrong probably get taken to Germany if they have any chance of being fit because they give us different options. Souttar is injured AND lower down the pecking order so I think he will be the cut.

RCB you’ve got Hendry and Porteous who both seem ahead of Souttar.

CCB Grant Hanley, Hendry and possibly you could play Cooper or McKenna there

LCB is Tierney’s role with McKenna and Cooper also able to play it.

In a back four Hendry/Porteous/Hanley can all play RCB and McKenna/Porteous/Cooper can play LCB.

Ultimately I see little downside to Souttar missing out on the squad which is a shame as I rate him as a player.

I think Kelly will also miss out unless one of the other injured guys is going to miss the tournament outright. Only then would you see 4 keepers already.

So Souttar and Kelly are the likely 2 cuts imo. 

For me it's just wait and see. Someone might pick up an injury in training or in a friendly, that would change things. The injury status for the players is quite vague at the moment, no information on severity and with a few that aren't technically injured. The manager said he wants breathing room which is why he took 28 players, so you can say Kelly and Souttar today and then in a week it might change.

There is also the question of the four goalkeepers which Clarke hasn't ruled out, so has to be considered as well.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I think it'll be Doak who misses out.

The only reason being that he's been injured for 5/6 months and hasn't played in 7.

Hope I'm wrong. I hope he goes to Germany, whether he plays or not.

I'm not sure about that one actually. I think Ben Doak in one of 26 personally, but as I said above it's all a bit vague so it's anyone's guess at the moment.

I’ve never had the chance to work closely with Ben, so it just seemed like the right opportunity to put him in. The squad going from 23 to 26 just made it something that I thought I should do so we’ll have a look at Ben and see how he does.

Steve Clarke

He is less likely to play against Gibraltar, but maybe Finland.

Ben hopefully will be a big player for us in the future and maybe this summer he can make a little contribution as well. He is fit and back training with his club. He did a little bit with Liverpool last week and we will speak to his club. We will keep in touch with them and, from the two games, the first one might come a little bit too soon. But maybe in the second game he can get some minutes on the pitch if I choose to do that.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13449331/Clarke-insists-Doak-game-changer-Scots-teenager-named-provisional-Euros-squad.html

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

m not sure about that one actually. I think Ben Doak in one of 26 personally, but as I said above it's all a bit vague so it's anyone's guess at the moment.

Yeah. It's the game of clutching at straws till 7 June.

Hope you're right. We are rarely blessed with players with pace and talent.

The most recent pace merchant we had was Burke... let's just say that he achieved remarkable things for his talents.

Edited by SlayerX

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

McTominay is fine.

Steve Clarke said that Ryan Jack has been fit to play for the Rangers for a couple weeks. The Rangers manager disputed that Claim.

Doak has been out for u months. Calling him up is one thing, having him in the final 26 is quite another.

All of the aforementioned players have a couple weeks to heal and to train. It'll mostly about match fitness with Armstrong, Doak and Jack than actual fitness.

How can the Rangers manager have disputed that claim if he's named him on the bench?

I don't think respect has to be earned. I think it shoukd be assumed. Appreciate thst it can be lost.

Back to Armstrong; hope he makes it. Was our best player against Norway not all that long ago. I don't think a two month injury shouod rule you out.

I don't think Doak is a doubt. We have a lot of goalkeepers, central defenders and central midfielders in the squad. We'll never play four goalkeepers or seven central defenders in a tournament. Therefore there are people in there who clearly won't play.

But there is the squad aspect too. I get the impression that Cooper is important. And maybe that Kelly has earned his place. Neither will play but maybe Clarke wants them there.

He has decisions to make, but in a squad of 26 I reckon he has to look at a potential future star who already has something to offer the team and decide he is worth his place.

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

How can the Rangers manager have disputed that claim if he's named him on the bench?

At the point the squad was named Jack had made the bench once without getting on in Rangers final league game. Clarke in his press conference after naming him claimed Jack had been "fit for a few weeks" and "his club have chosen not to play him".

Clement is entitled to take issue with that comment if he thinks its untrue. Whether it is or not I've no idea. Perhaps Jack's opinion of whether he was fit differs from the Rangers sports science and physio department's? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, allyo said:

I don't think respect has to be earned. I think it shoukd be assumed. Appreciate thst it can be lost.

Back to Armstrong; hope he makes it. Was our best player against Norway not all that long ago. I don't think a two month injury shouod rule you out.

Agreed.

"Respect has to be earned" is akin to saying "I'll treat people like shit till they give me a reason not to treat them like shit".

Such a toxic attitude. Usually adopted by people who wouldn't say 1/100 of the stuff they say to you online, to your face.

As far as Armstrong goes. I think he is vastly overrated.

I still haven't forgiven him for what he did against England. I don't condone booing players, but Gary McAllister didn't hear the end of having his penalty saved against England. Stuart Armstrong was instantly forgiven for his discrepancy*

Was it because McAllister was a far better player? Who knows.

Yeah. He's a squad player, but I simply do not trust him.

But hey, some fans like him. Everyone's opinion should be respected.

*If anyone disagrees with my opinion, just count to a hundred, calm down and refrain from insulting me. These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Edited by SlayerX

6 minutes ago, allyo said:

I don't think Doak is a doubt. We have a lot of goalkeepers, central defenders and central midfielders in the squad. We'll never play four goalkeepers or seven central defenders in a tournament. Therefore there are people in there who clearly won't play.

But there is the squad aspect too. I get the impression that Cooper is important. And maybe that Kelly has earned his place. Neither will play but maybe Clarke wants them there.

He has decisions to make, but in a squad of 26 I reckon he has to look at a potential future star who already has something to offer the team and decide he is worth his place.

Doak hasnt kicked a ball in 5 months and has done one days training with Liverpool's first team. Of course he's still a doubt.

You just giving me another chance to say "told you so"? 😉

After the season he's had, and given his age, I don't think there's any way Clarke would include him and then drop him. Could be very destructive. He may well be a doubt in terms of fitness, he probably is. But I think his place in the squad is secure.

4 minutes ago, allyo said:

You just giving me another chance to say "told you so"? 😉

After the season he's had, and given his age, I don't think there's any way Clarke would include him and then drop him. Could be very destructive. He may well be a doubt in terms of fitness, he probably is. But I think his place in the squad is secure.

I think your right, id be surprised if Doak isn't in the squad now.

But I suppose it depends on how he shows up in training. If he's roasting our defenders then Clarkes got to be thinking he's the guy who could come on and change a game for us.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I think your right, id be surprised if Doak isn't in the squad now.

But I suppose it depends on how he shows up in training. If he's roasting our defenders then Clarkes got to be thinking he's the guy who could come on and change a game for us.

I think this is a fair way to look at it. The final 26 will simply depend upon what happens over the next 10 days. Who shows up well, who doesn't. If everything is equal then I agree Doak makes the 26. I don't think the reason for his inclusion is related to fitness issues around other squad members. 

To add to that I think Forrest would be a possibility for being cut, last in first out basically and I'm guessing he is cover for Armstrong if he doesn't prove his fitness. Possibly a centre-back or maybe one of the goalkeepers depending on the squad overall. That's how I am settled on it at the moment.

Edited by 2426255

8 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Agreed.

"Respect has to be earned" is akin to saying "I'll treat people like shit till they give me a reason not to treat them like shit".

Such a toxic attitude. Usually adopted by people who wouldn't say 1/100 of the stuff they say to you online, to your face.

As far as Armstrong goes. I think he is vastly overrated.

I still haven't forgiven him for what he did against England. I don't condone booing players, but Gary McAllister didn't hear the end of having his penalty saved against England. Stuart Armstrong was instantly forgiven for his discrepancy*

Was it because McAllister was a far better player? Who knows.

Yeah. He's a squad player, but I simply do not trust him.

But hey, some fans like him. Everyone's opinion should be respected.

*If anyone disagrees with my opinion, just count to a hundred, calm down and refrain from insulting me. These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Respect is lost is probably a better way of putting it tbf.

I think most people would tell someone to get aff the glue to that person's face if they told them they expect Scotland to win the Euros unless they are some crazy unstable fellow, it really ain't as deep as you're making out. 

You must really hate heavyweight England eh? Armstrong is one of the most trusted members of the squad and if he is fit then he will play a big part in the games, I'm unsure how you can't recognise him as a good player 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think this is a fair way to look at it. The final 26 will simply depend upon what happens over the next 10 days. Who shows up well, who doesn't. If everything is equal then I agree Doak makes the 26. I don't think the reason for his inclusion is related to fitness issues around other squad members. 

To add to that I think Forrest would be a possibility for being cut, last in first out basically and I'm guessing he is cover for Armstrong if he doesn't prove his fitness. Possibly a centre-back or maybe one of the goalkeepers depending on the squad overall. That's how I am settled on it at the moment.

I'd be more surprised if forrest was cut tbh! Hes on fire at the moment and potentially a cover for right wing back also.