Injuries

29 minutes ago, allyo said:

Che Adams and Laurence Shankland would be in the squad of at least 10 teams in the Euros.

I may have exaggerated. 

But if either of them were Slovenian, Slovakian, Romanian, Georgian or Albanian, I reckon you'd be surprised if they were omitted. And Scotland makes six. 

6 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

In fairness, he's only 18 years old.

Billy Gilmour has zero senior club goals.

If being called predicated on goalscoring only McGinn and McTominay would make the cut.

I wouldn’t want Gilmour playing up front either.

10 minutes ago, allyo said:

I may have exaggerated. 

But if either of them were Slovenian, Slovakian, Romanian, Georgian or Albanian, I reckon you'd be surprised if they were omitted. And Scotland makes six. 

But Brian Graham would make it into at least half

46 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Away and f**k , Adams is never a striker,  he is barely a footballer

18 goals this season 🙄 he’s always done a job for Scotland. 
he’ll start imo and would’ve still started if dykes was fit aswell. 

32 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

You were responding to an argument about strikers.  Billy Gilmour isn't going to play up front,  is he.

Maybe he will.

So, let me get this straight. You're flaming me for talking about a midfielder in an argument about strikers?

This is a thread about injuries.

If you're that anal retentive go away and have a go at everyone for not talking about injuries.

Board politics bores me.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Maybe he will.

So, let me get this straight. You're flaming me for talking about a midfielder in an argument about strikers?

This is a thread about injuries.

If you're that anal retentive go away and have a go at everyone for not talking about injuries.

Board politics bores me.

You're being 'flamed' because Gilmour scoring zero goals isnt a good example to use in your particular argument regarding Mcburnie. Gilmour is usually playing in a deep midfield position for club and country so is not expected to score. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

1 minute ago, Butters Scotch said:

You're being 'flamed' because Gilmour scoring zero goals isnt a good example to use in your particular argument regarding Mcburnie. Gilmour is usually playing in a deep midfield position for club and country so is not expected to score. 

The particular argument was about Ben Doak.

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

The u21s play on the same days as the senior play their friendlies so I doubt any players will be drafted in from the u21s.

I'm sure the U21s can do without a player for a couple of friendlies of their own.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's not a striker though.

He has played there in some of his under 21 appearances and looked good. He dragged the entire team up the pitch against Spain numerous times. 

He is absolutely an option there, though most likely as a second striker depending on how the game is going. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Posted (edited)

Football fans go too heavy with "he isn't a striker", "he can't play there", etc.

Players aren't born with positions on their DNA.

It's a different position, not a different sport.

But yes, Gemmill has been playing Doak the same way that he played Burke (as a number 9) and he's done quite well. Scored against Hungary and got an assist vs Spain.

The Liverpool u21s play the same system as the Liverpool senior team, so Doak is an inside forward of a front three.

There's anal retentive people here so let's get back to topic:

Apparently Dykes broke his ankle. Such bad luck for the lad.

Edited by SlayerX

53 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Tbf for somebody not expected to score, he’s still scored more international goals than McBurnie!!!

Posted (edited)

Strikers shouldn't be judged by goals alone, the same way that midfielders shouldn't be judged by assists alone.

How many assists has Gilmour had in 25 Scotland games? 0. Does anyone want to drop him?

Adams, Dykes and Shankland had a combined total of 2 goals in the European championship qualification.

Doesn't mean all three didn't contribute.

Stéphane Guivarc'h had zero goals for France at France 98 and he was their lonely striker. And France won the World Cup.

Football is a team game with lots of moving parts.

There are many barometers from which to judge players. If the only thing people see are goals and assists then football is lost on them.

Edited by SlayerX

7 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Zero senior goals…

Nobody has any senior goals until they do.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He's not a striker though.

We don't know what he is yet.

I'm not convinced we'll use 3 strikers in the tournament tbh, but having one who's completely different to the other two, and one who's a relatively unknown quantity who can beat players 1v1, feels like a good option for late in games.

53 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

Injuries happen to all teams to varying degrees, nothing to be foo concerned just something we (and everyone else) has to deal with.

It's a bit of a gutter for the player, I think he was very likely to start against Germany. Still young enough to bounce back, expect it will be Adams now.

Not sure we will be calling up any other strikers, we will likely just cut the goalie and that will be our 26.

In the very unlikely event of injuries to Shankland and Adams the likes of Christie could credibly fill in.

It will all be good I'm sure.

Can't imagine why we would not call up another striker and go the tournament with only 2 strikers. One could be injured within 10 mins of first game 

Also you may be right that dykes would have started.  However adams was always superior.  A far better hold up man for mcginn mctominay 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nobody has any senior goals until they do.

We don't know what he is yet.

I'm not convinced we'll use 3 strikers in the tournament tbh, but having one who's completely different to the other two, and one who's a relatively unknown quantity who can beat players 1v1, feels like a good option for late in games.

England using one of their forward slots on Theo Walcott at the 2006 World Cup springs to mind. 

Going to Germany with only two recognised strikers in a squad of 26 would be mental. 

Edited by lubo_blaha