2023/24 Dutch football

Marten

Also an interesting stat: with Vitesse's relegation, 6 clubs (Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, FC Utrecht, SC Heerenveen & AZ) have been in the Eredivisie continuously from the start of the century, the next longest serving club is Fortuna Sittard who got promoted in 2018. That means that next season 12 out of 18 clubs, so 2/3rd of the league, have been promoted in 2018 or later. And then to think that there was 1 season in that period without promotion/relegation due to Covid.

Since the turn of the century, 31 different clubs have played in the Eredivisie. Of the 13 clubs that are not there now, 12 are in the 2nd tier Eerste Divisie. Other than the B-teams, the only Eerste Divisie teams to not have played in the Eredivisie this century are FC Eindhoven, Telstar, Helmond Sport and TOP Oss. Of those, only TOP Oss never played Eredivisie. The only team that play lower are RBC Roosendaal, who re-started in the 10th tier back in 2012 after bankruptcy. They just got back to back promotions to get to the 5th tier, Vierde Divisie. They are back in the nationally organised "division" structure for the first time after going bust. Below the 5th tier, leagues are organised in regions.

On 19/04/2024 at 23:52, Marten said:

Also an interesting stat: with Vitesse's relegation, 6 clubs (Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, FC Utrecht, SC Heerenveen & AZ) have been in the Eredivisie continuously from the start of the century, the next longest serving club is Fortuna Sittard who got promoted in 2018. That means that next season 12 out of 18 clubs, so 2/3rd of the league, have been promoted in 2018 or later. And then to think that there was 1 season in that period without promotion/relegation due to Covid.

Since the turn of the century, 31 different clubs have played in the Eredivisie. Of the 13 clubs that are not there now, 12 are in the 2nd tier Eerste Divisie. Other than the B-teams, the only Eerste Divisie teams to not have played in the Eredivisie this century are FC Eindhoven, Telstar, Helmond Sport and TOP Oss. Of those, only TOP Oss never played Eredivisie. The only team that play lower are RBC Roosendaal, who re-started in the 10th tier back in 2012 after bankruptcy. They just got back to back promotions to get to the 5th tier, Vierde Divisie. They are back in the nationally organised "division" structure for the first time after going bust. Below the 5th tier, leagues are organised in regions.

Was at the ADO Den Haag - FC Eindhoven game on Saturday and did ponder who in their right mind supports FC rather than PSV.  I guess Rotterdam is split in areas like Feyenoord south of the river so the three teams there make a bit of sense, but must be tough going supporting the blue team in Eindhoven!

Posted (edited)
On 22/04/2024 at 12:40, The Holiday Song said:

Was at the ADO Den Haag - FC Eindhoven game on Saturday and did ponder who in their right mind supports FC rather than PSV.  I guess Rotterdam is split in areas like Feyenoord south of the river so the three teams there make a bit of sense, but must be tough going supporting the blue team in Eindhoven!

In Rotterdam the river is a major boundary indeed. Feyenoord draw their support from the south bank of the river and all the villages/towns south of the river (being a big club they obviously also draw in support from further afield, but much larger part of their support is local than at Ajax and to a lesser extend PSV). The north bank of the river is split between Sparta and Excelsior. Sparta represent the west/north of the city and the towns/villages surrounding on the north/west side. Same for Excelsior on the east side of the city and surrounding towns/villages. My family (at least my father's side) is from the east side of Rotterdam, hence why I support Excelsior.

FC Eindhoven were originally the main team of Eindhoven, while PSV were a workers' team for Phillips. Until the 1950's, FC Eindhoven were the bigger club, with PSV then taking over. Nowadays, while PSV are by far the biggest club there, FC Eindhoven draw most of the support from the south side of the city. There isn't that much of a rivalry anymore as the difference between the 2 is so big, so there will be PSV fans who occasionally watch FC Eindhoven when PSV aren't playing and vice versa.

Edited by Marten

On 22/04/2024 at 12:40, The Holiday Song said:

I lived in Eindhoven from 2007 to 2012, I went to a lot of PSV games but after a few months of going with my ex's family I decided that PSV didn't need me and started going to see FC. Eindhoven. 

I had a season ticket from 2008 till I left and loved it, I was there for their centenary and also once when they reached the play offs. I do wonder what they'd do if they got promoted though, they are not geared up to staying there.

Their fans more or less ignore the fact that PSV exist, their rivalry is with Helmond.