The Sons v The Loons 19/8/23

Our third goal is bizarre from the refs point of view. Tony Wallace looks like he’s fouled before the ball hits both of his hands and the ref just kinda lets us play on. I’ve nae idea of the rules but surely if it’s not deemed a foul on Wallace he has to pull that back for the clear handball? Can you play advantage even though it’s a handball from our player? 

https://x.com/dumbartonfc/status/1693216313018290224?s=46&t=8kQXb1K67H3KHelfQVgD7A

It wasn’t the only bizarre decision. In the first half Ryan Blair committed a clear cynical foul when he pulled back the Forfar player. The ref gave the free kick but didn’t book Blair. It was the clearest yellow card you’re ever likely to see!

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our third goal is bizarre from the refs point of view. Tony Wallace looks like he’s fouled before the ball hits both of his hands and the ref just kinda lets us play on. I’ve nae idea of the rules but surely if it’s not deemed a foul on Wallace he has to pull that back for the clear handball? Can you play advantage even though it’s a handball from our player? 

https://x.com/dumbartonfc/status/1693216313018290224?s=46&t=8kQXb1K67H3KHelfQVgD7A

It wasn’t the only bizarre decision. In the first half Ryan Blair committed a clear cynical foul when he pulled back the Forfar player. The ref gave the free kick but didn’t book Blair. It was the clearest yellow card you’re ever likely to see!

He did deem it a foul on Wallace, played advantage.

11 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I just hope Farrell learns from changing it up and doesn’t revert to type.

We might've lucked out with a 352. It gets Lynas and Pignatiello both on the pitch and lets us over load midfield with the energy we have there, it also gives support to our forwards. He's got to start that way next week IMO.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I just hope Farrell learns from changing it up and doesn’t revert to type.

Aye, this is the fear I have.  We ended the game with the basis of a decent midfield and front pairing, and that's before Callum Wilson, Ruth and Byrne become available.  The starting eleven at Stenny should reflect that.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We might've lucked out with a 352. It gets Lynas and Pignatiello both on the pitch and lets us over load midfield with the energy we have there, it also gives support to our forwards. He's got to start that way next week IMO.

Exactly it's perfect get full use of both of them 

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is it even within the rules to play advantage after Wallace effectively caught the ball? It just doesn’t look right.

It’s not a handball if it hits his hand as he’s falling and his hands are out to break his fall, therefore there is no offence committed and advantage can continue. If the ref deemed it an offence he would’ve pulled it back for the original foul.

41 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

It’s not a handball if it hits his hand as he’s falling and his hands are out to break his fall, therefore there is no offence committed and advantage can continue. If the ref deemed it an offence he would’ve pulled it back for the original foul.

Fair enough. I tried googling the rules but couldn’t really see anything relating to a similar situation.

16 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fair enough. I tried googling the rules but couldn’t really see anything relating to a similar situation.

The IFAB handbook is free to download on App Store and iOS but tbh, trying to get your head round the handball laws is not fun, hence why we get about 34821 shouts for handball every week 😂

18 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

The IFAB handbook is free to download on App Store and iOS but tbh, trying to get your head round the handball laws is not fun, hence why we get about 34821 shouts for handball every week 😂

The handbook and the laws of the game don't give you local interpretations. Every country, sometimes every region will have different interpretations which will be presented to referees in pre-season and unless you are a referee or know one, we have no idea what this looks like.

51 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Watching they goals that we conceded all I can say is ‘ Deary me ‘

Defending for all 3 is horrendous.

Believe it or not, they weren’t the worst piece of defending you produced. Andy Munro having the ball stolen off him by Hilton when he thought he was comfortably seeing it out for a goal kick was comical stuff. What a big dumplin’ of a player he is!

8 hours ago, Sons FC said:

The handbook and the laws of the game don't give you local interpretations. Every country, sometimes every region will have different interpretations which will be presented to referees in pre-season and unless you are a referee or know one, we have no idea what this looks like.

That’s not exactly true. There is no ‘interpretation of the law’. The laws are the laws. There are amendments each year from the ifab which are what is explained to clubs at the start of the season. The SFA and the associations also run coaching sessions for all qualified refs throughout the year. 
The ifab handbook gives the definition and explanation for all 17 laws of the game, that is what all FAs and registered referees must follow.