Hearts v Wasps

Not much between the teams last season apart from first game , we are almost entirely a new team so be good to see where we are at against you guys , both teams got points on the board and pretty sure both keen for 3 more come 5 o clock Saturday 

Depends what Alloa show up. If we play anything like we did against Stirling, it'll be difficult for us to get anything from the game.

What's the ground like for parking nearby? I finish work just in time to drive through with about 5 minutes to spare 

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Depends what Alloa show up. If we play anything like we did against Stirling, it'll be difficult for us to get anything from the game.

What's the ground like for parking nearby? I finish work just in time to drive through with about 5 minutes to spare 

You'll want to park at community centre or the surrounding streets if possible , should be parking available no more than 2-3 mins from ground , 1 min if you get in community centre car park 👍

One of my favourite away days. Cracking wee ground, pretty close by and ace social club. 
Been a tough pre season to watch, league started with renewed optimism at QOS but we struggled badly against a stuffy, hard working Stirling last week. 
Who knows what Rice ball will give us on Saturday 🤔

Any takers on McKay selling another cheap one?

I’d like to see the midfield getting up to support the forwards a bit quicker this week, there’s definitely enough talent in this team. Just need to get the balance/formation right.

Three points Alloa 🐝 

Hopefully Taggs is fit enough to take McKays spot, even if only for 60 minutes or so. Would obviously prefer him at RWB but he does a good job at CB. Debayo wasn't in the squad at all last week so wondering if he was injured? 

Guessing it'll be Sammon and Rodden up top again with LD hopefully coming off the bench at some point. 

5 hours ago, Rory said:

Hopefully Taggs is fit enough to take McKays spot, even if only for 60 minutes or so. Would obviously prefer him at RWB but he does a good job at CB. Debayo wasn't in the squad at all last week so wondering if he was injured? 

Guessing it'll be Sammon and Rodden up top again with LD hopefully coming off the bench at some point. 

He was injured before the QoS game. Think he tried to join the warmup but wasn't feeling it and sat with the unstripped players in Dumfries. Think he's back available now.

Another poor performance from Alloa, particularly in the first half. The game was fairly even in the first half, although with little threat from us, until we gave away another stupid penalty. After that Kelty really took control for the remainder of the half.

We started reasonably well in the second half and Donnelly and Coulson both had chances when they should have done better. Unfortunately we quickly faded out of the half and Kelty were worth their second goal. We started to play a bit better towards the end, as Kelty sat deep, with Cammy O'Donnell probably our best player. Cammy put in a cross that Rodden probably should have scored from and his freekick goal was top notch.

Things need to start improving fast, we can't keep on giving away penalties and having entire halves where we don't manage a shot on goal. 

Hard to take many positives from today but Cammy's free kick was top drawer. Other than that, we never troubled Gourlay. Two weeks in a row where the opposing keepers had basically nothing to do for 90 minutes.

Seemed a bit harsh to drop Rodden and Sammon, they weren't to blame for the Stirling performance, they got no service. Playing long balls up to Donnelly and Coulson was never going to work. Took over 45 minutes for Rice to notice that. 

I've defended Rice before but it's getting hard to stand by him. Subbing Neill made sense as he had appeared to lose his head but thought it was a big risk considering Debayo and Taggs are both coming back from injury and we had limited defenders on the bench.

Referee and linesmen were atrocious. As the Terrace levelled at Rodden, did they win a competition to referee a game? 

Kelty were tipped by some to go down and they outplayed us. Not looking forward to the Falkirk game

Why did we start work a back 5 and defensive midfielder against Kelty with Donnelly and Coulson up front? 
Don’t know what Rice is thinking at times. 
Soft penalty and a mistake from Taggs cost us dearly today but I’m blaming the gaffer for that line up against a team that we shouldn’t be sitting so deep initially. 
Correct to take Neill off but we didn’t look like a team until 4 at the back with Sammon and Rodden up top, with Cammy at left back giving us more than Deveney as a wing back. 
Harsh that Cammy wasn’t started as I thought Deveney had a bit of a mare after coming on last week, could barely find a pass. 
Let’s just have a fucking go this season. 

Edited by Alloamad

Thought we controlled the game well first half and a great first 3 home points of the season against a team we could at best draw with last season , some free kick but was going to take something like that to get a goal for you guys today 

Alloa were poor again today, even allowing for challenging conditions. Another raft of changes and a predictably disjointed team. Not sure about the penalty and would need to see it again but we didn't pose any threat in that half anyway. The switch of shape in the second half was an improvement for the simple reason that it better suits the players we have and has most of them in their best positions. It still wasn't great and would need to be left to settle for it to really start working but we at least looked something like a coherent football team. Will it be left to settle? Given we've played 7 pre-season fixtures and now 7 competitive games and we're still constantly chopping and changing shape and personnel that seems unlikely. Kelty have a rookie manager and lot of new faces (and I'm sure a smaller budget) yet they seem to already know far better than us what they're supposed to be doing. I see the manager says we didn't deserve to lose (we did) and that missed chances and poor defending cost us. There are more fundamental issues that need to be addressed really. Was Neil subbed because of the penalty? If so that's also an interesting call. 

Searching for some kind of positives, good for Taggs and LD to get game time. Kev helped knit things together when moved to his natural role. Debayo showed some signs he can hopefully settle and do a job with games. And Cammy's goal was a beauty, so good to see him take responsibility and grab the ball then stick it in the top corner. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 he'd be a real option in the deeper two or the left side of the three behind the striker. 

Kelty were solid, well organised, linked up and had some kind of threat in attack. Certainly deserved to win the game. 

18 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I see the manager says we didn't deserve to lose (we did) 

No idea how Rice can justify saying we didn't deserve to lose. PJ made a good save early on and Kelty were (thankfully) wasteful with their chances. Barring Cammy goal, I don't remember Gourlay having much to do. 

To be so poor last week and play largely the same team with the same game plan is poor management.

33 minutes ago, Waspie said:

If we were playing 4-2-3-1 he'd be a real option in the deeper two or the left side of the three behind the striker. 

I would be interested to see the team in that formation.

I'm falling out of love of the 3-4-3. I think in some games it works but other times it's handicapping the wing backs too easily and making us quite narrow. Corbett and Walker had lots of touches today because they don't particularly have an opposite number. We then tend to lose the midfield because there's not enough width and it just becomes an aimless lump forward. Also not convinced at shoehorning Coulson in either as a forward. Think he is a winger more than Kev.

If I had to pick the team:

Morrison

Taggart - Neill - Debayo - Deveney 

Hetherington - Roberts (Virtanen)

Cawley (Buchanan)  - Scougall (Rodden) - Coulson (O'Donnell)

Donnelly (Sammon)

I don't mind that 5 subs coming on to a tiring team in the second half. 

But back to reality today was better than last week and I felt distinctly better when I watched the highlights of the game back, it's not all doom and gloom yet but we need to start delivering some goals soon from opportunities.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

I would be interested to see the team in that formation.

I'm falling out of love of the 3-4-3. 

4-2-3-1 or something like it suits what we have. We are short on proven out and out and strikers right now but in Scougall, Donnelly and Cawley we have excellent creative options for League One who could make a terrific three behind a striker. You'd also have the option of the likes of Coulson, O'Donnell and Buchanan for slightly different threats in that three. For the deeper two we have very strong DM options in Hetherington and Virtanan, with the option too of pulling Scougall deeper beside one of them (like Flanny next to Stevie) or O'Donnell if we feel the two together is overly defensive at times. With the creative men in front, I wouldn't worry too much about being too defensive in the deeper two. And Roberts could slot in there too if we were looking for more energy. 

Taggs always flourished getting up from RB in that shape and I'm sure Devenney could settle into it. And I'm not convinced the 3 CBs suits the players we have added. A compact two - ideally I'd try Neil and Devine and let them develop a partnership - would be tighter (and have better protection in front with the two deeper midfielders). If we played that shape and gave it a few weeks we'd be up in the top half of the table, even without adding any loans. Get a good striker to play at the top of it and we could be very good indeed. If it does have to be a back three then pick a three and stick with them and play natural wing backs in the wide positions, but we've rarely looked cohesive with that formation over the past 18 months. 

As it stands we've played 14 games in the last few weeks yet we don't have a settled shape or way of playing, we don't seem to be anywhere nearer establishing settled partnerships in defence or midfield, and we're still using central creative midfielders/attackers at wing back. 

Edited by Waspie