Is Newcastle Scottish?

ArabFC

On 20/08/2023 at 11:24, ArabFC said:

Watching the City v Newcastle game last night and admiring how good Newcastle have become in the last few months, it struck me that there are a few options there that Clarke must surely have an eye on.

Harvey Barnes, Anthony Gordon, Tino Livramento and Elliott Anderson are all eligible for both Scotland and England and would all improve our squad imho.

Hayden Hackney down the road in Middlesborough too.

One down, three to go.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Two down, two to go?

Hickey has the biggest potential in our squad for me but Livramento looked like genuinely world class talent before his injury. 

If he gets back to his form then long term him and Hickey as or full backs/wing backs would be incredible. 

Still hope Ramsay can get a bit of luck with regard to fitness and get his career back on track though. Looked an unreal talent as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Elliot Anderson, perhaps surprisingly, not named in the England Under 21 squad today, so perhaps this one isn’t settled yet. Clarke being understandably tight-lipped about the matter, but perhaps John Carver is still working the back channels on this one. Tino Livramento included in their Under 21 squad though. 

Edited by Frankie S

12 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Elliot Anderson, perhaps surprisingly, not named in the England Under 21 squad today, so perhaps this one isn’t settled yet. Clarke being understandably tight-lipped about the matter, but perhaps John Carver is still working the back channels on this one. Tino Livramento included in their Under 21 squad though. 

The impression I get is that Anderson is still leaning towards Scotland but doesn’t feel ready to commit yet. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/08/2023 at 12:52, ClydeTon said:

Harvey Barnes is probably not that far off contention for England, especially now he's at a club pushing into Champions League football. If he were to play for Scotland it would be absolutely sensational.

Gordon can get f**ked. Absolutely useless.

Livramento could be alright, he's still proving himself. Don't really know who he even is.

Elliot Anderson is the lesser known (ironically he's the only one on this list who plays for Scotland at Youth level - having done so at every level except U19), but he was, supposedly, amazing for Bristol and he's starting to break into the Newcastle side. He certainly has a long career ahead if he keeps doing what he's doing (same goes for Livramento)

6 goals and 5 assists in 13 PL games is not bad for useless.

Livramento looks really good. A game in the Euro2024 opener should tempt him 😛

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

6 goals and 5 assists in 13 PL games is not bad for useless.

Livramento looks really good. A game in the Euro2024 opener should tempt him 😛

I'd be surprised to see either of those players commit to Scotland just now unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

I'd imagine both, Gordon in particular will have their eyes on England caps. Wouldn't be surprised to see them both called up to their next squad

That's probably a good shout.  Oddly enough, Anderson's probably further away from both national teams than he was in September.

I'd say they're still unlikely to build up many caps given the sheer level of competition, but then I see that somehow Conor Gallagher has 11 and Conor Coady has 10, so what do I know?

Daily Record running a story today saying Livramento, Gordon and Anderson have no chance of being called up/no interest in declaring.

Harvey Barnes however is open/looking likely 

There is no direct quotes though from Clarke which tells me it's an off the record question with an off the record answer

10 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Daily Record running a story today saying Livramento, Gordon and Anderson have no chance of being called up/no interest in declaring.

There is no direct quotes though from Clarke which tells me it's an off the record question with an off the record answer

I think we all kind of have an idea that's the way the land lies. I think it makes sense on it's own if you follow the logic through. Is there any kind of source or is it just an opinion piece?

20 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Barnes is the one I'd want.  Anderson looks like a talent, but his head is not there and even if he does want to return, that would take time.  He also plays in a position where we have plenty of cover - as attacking mids go, Ferguson has achieved far more and could be on his way to Champions League football.

Livramento is a fantastic right back, but Hickey is at least as good.  Patterson already provides good cover.

Gordon - obviously a great player, but strikes me as a real attitude risk.

Barnes would allow us to play wingers and provide another option.  It would also provide some balance when Doak is ready to take his chance.