Is Newcastle Scottish?

ArabFC

Watching the City v Newcastle game last night and admiring how good Newcastle have become in the last few months, it struck me that there are a few options there that Clarke must surely have an eye on.

Harvey Barnes, Anthony Gordon, Tino Livramento and Elliott Anderson are all eligible for both Scotland and England and would all improve our squad imho.

Hayden Hackney down the road in Middlesborough too.

Harvey Barnes is probably not that far off contention for England, especially now he's at a club pushing into Champions League football. If he were to play for Scotland it would be absolutely sensational.

Gordon can get f**ked. Absolutely useless.

Livramento could be alright, he's still proving himself. Don't really know who he even is.

Elliot Anderson is the lesser known (ironically he's the only one on this list who plays for Scotland at Youth level - having done so at every level except U19), but he was, supposedly, amazing for Bristol and he's starting to break into the Newcastle side. He certainly has a long career ahead if he keeps doing what he's doing (same goes for Livramento)

26 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Livramento could be alright, he's still proving himself. Don't really know who he even is.

He's going to be the starting RB pretty soon at Newcastle. I dint see Barnes making the same impact, bit part player.

3 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Harvey Barnes is probably not that far off contention for England, especially now he's at a club pushing into Champions League football. If he were to play for Scotland it would be absolutely sensational.

I have a pal who’s a Leicester City season ticket holder, and he raves about Barnes and can’t believe he hasn’t had more of a chance with England. He made one appearance for them, as a late sub in a friendly against Wales in 2020, and hasn’t had a sniff since. Always thought he was the sort of player Scotland need - direct, pacy, strong, and weighs in with his shares of goals and assists. It was reported last season that Clarke and Carver were down at a Leicester game, which was curious at the time as neither team had a player obviously eligible for Scotland, other than Barnes. After that, I thought there might be an announcement that Barnes had switched to Scotland. Nothing happened, and he wasn’t in the next squad. Given Clarke’s thoroughness, I expect this avenue has been explored.

Edited by Frankie S

Apparently "am a geordie man me" was a common utterance by the good folk of Newcastle to Hanoverian redcoats during the 45 as the red coats marched North to fight the Jacobites.

This being in case their Southern compatriots confused them with the enemy and gave them a cuff round the lug or worse.

Hence the nickname "geordie"........loyal subject of king George.

Anyways....Anderson might still make the grade for us. The rest. Nah.

Barnes had an excellent season in a mince side last year and still couldn't get into an England side without Bowen and Sterling available in the summer. The players picked in the positions he'd play were Saka, Rashford, Grealish and Foden. Coming through their under-21s are Smith-Rowe, Madueke, Gibbs-White, Gordon and Palmer. Don't think there's much chance he'd get into the England squad in the next few years given the competition but who knows.

He may well just not be interested at all though - fair play, but he'd be a significant upgrade on Christie or Armstrong if he could be persuaded.

I've heard (I think on here maybe) that Anderson is dragging his feet but he looks another good option in a similar position. Livramento looked a real player when he first moved to Saints but don't think he played much last year, Patterson and Hickey are both more developed at the moment. 

On 21/08/2023 at 14:34, GHF-23 said:

Barnes had an excellent season in a mince side last year and still couldn't get into an England side without Bowen and Sterling available in the summer. The players picked in the positions he'd play were Saka, Rashford, Grealish and Foden. Coming through their under-21s are Smith-Rowe, Madueke, Gibbs-White, Gordon and Palmer. Don't think there's much chance he'd get into the England squad in the next few years given the competition but who knows.

He may well just not be interested at all though - fair play, but he'd be a significant upgrade on Christie or Armstrong if he could be persuaded.

I've heard (I think on here maybe) that Anderson is dragging his feet but he looks another good option in a similar position. Livramento looked a real player when he first moved to Saints but don't think he played much last year, Patterson and Hickey are both more developed at the moment. 

Livramento was out for a year with an ACL injury