Scots abroad 2023/24

Granted Bologna lacked quality, but it's great to see how he's developed under Motta - I thought he stood out as arguably their best player. Good out of possession, protects the ball like McGinn and knows his limitations when it comes to passing. That can be frustrating as he sometimes looks too negative on the ball, but he finds himself in positions where simple passes are still usually effective. He's like a Scottish Gundogan. 

Josh Doig got the full 100+ minutes as Verona beat Roma. It was wing-back v wing-back with Verona man-marking so all about winning battles etc, and I thought Doig got bullied by his opposite number a couple of times in the first half - before Roma's RWB got hooked at half-time - and switched off a bit for Roma's goal, but it's great to see that he's back in their starting line-up and going the distance for the first time since February. 

Liam Henderson seems to be on the move to Palermo in Serie B. Not surprising given that he only started 11 games last season - he definitely seems to be one of these guys who is very good in the second tier but maybe just a wee bit short of what's needed in the top flight.

Debut for Tierney today, played 70 odd mins and went off with Real Sociedad 4-1 up. Apparently he started at left back and moved into left centre back for a spell, ideal for Scotland if he's getting at least some minutes there.

Scott Banks done his ACL yesterday so his season is probably over at St Pauli sadly.

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to see that Jack Harper has found a home at Marbella, even if he has had to drop all the way down to the fourth tier to play regularly. They're top of the league, he's started all three of their games and he's scored a couple, including the only goal against El Palo at the weekend. There doesn't seem to be any video of it that I can quickly find during my coffee break, unfortunately.

Edited by Alan Twelve

15 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

It's nice to see that Jack Harper has found a home at Marbella, even if he has had to drop all the way down to the fourth tier to play regularly. They're top of the league, he's started all three of their games and he's scored a couple, including the only goal against El Palo at the weekend. There doesn't seem to be any video of it that I can quickly find during my coffee break, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

The Lewis Ferguson - Josh Doig game ended 0 - 0

( Lewis seemed to be playing in the centre of a three behind the lone ( centre ) forward )

Doig was doing pretty well on the ball but picked up a bad looking injury midway through the first half. Ferguson wasn't up to much this week. 

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Mind the meltdown when he was dropped by a youth coach in favour of a current Premier League striker?

Watched Real Madrid vs Real Sociedad on Sunday night.  Nice wee dual between KT and Carvajal and in the first half RS were brilliant.  Could've been 2-0 up with a wondergoal (from Takefusa Kubo) being ruled out due to an offside team mate.

Losing the equlaiser 40 seconds into the second half didn't help them and the winner came after Joselu got himself between KT and the centre half on 60 minutes. 

He was pretty solid throughout and was withdrawn after about 70 mins but on that first half performance RS looked very good.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Mind the meltdown when he was dropped by a youth coach in favour of a current Premier League striker?

I do, although I had no idea that it was McBurnie who'd replaced him. To be fair to those melting down, the explanation that we'd found someone bigger rather than someone better did raise some questions about the coaching standards at u-21 level.