Scots abroad 2023/24

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He hasnt made anything like the impact you'd have expected from a guy who was supposedly highly rated at Man City.

Yeah, you definitely expected far more but it is hard to get any kind of information on what has been going on for him. 

Obviously still only nineteen so very young. Showed a lovely bit of quality in the last 21’s game that I watched so hopefully he can at least begin to show bits of that at first team level. 

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Andy Irving just scored a hat-trick against Red Bull Salzburg. 8 goals and 5 assists this season in the Austrian top flight. Off to West Ham in the summer. He's on a really upward trajectory in his career. 

He's on loan from West Ham

13 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Yes, I know that m8. He's still off to West Ham in the summer to begin his career there. 

aye, KT's off to Arsenal and Ryan Fraser's off to Newcastle in the summer too so looking forward to that too!

Edited by 2426255

It's not clear if he's actually ever going to be a "proper" West Ham player. The club never announced his signing, and it was only discovered by the Austrian media because paperwork for the move was lodged with the Austrian FA. It seems to be part of a link-up between the clubs, so time will tell.

He had actually been out of form and dropped for a while recently, so it's good to see him back in the team.

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

aye, KT's off to Arsenal and Scott McKenna's off to Forest in the summer too so looking forward to that too!

Appreciate the point your making but the pedant in me feels the need to point out McKenna wont be returning to Forest. He's out of contract and will leave in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Appreciate the point your making but the pedant in me feels the need to point out McKenna wont be returning to Forest. He's out of contract and will leave in the summer. 

I was just being silly, but I've edited it for Ryan Fraser. Irving has done his compatriot a favour. Helpful result for Max Johnston and Sturm Graz that Klagenfurt managed to beat Salzburg. They have a head to head this weekend, but it's in Salzburg. 4 games to go, 3 points ahead. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5a9c1b9dea51e801d975306d5ff5e99b.png

Edited by 2426255

Great result for Sturm Graz at the weekend drawing 2-2 with RB Salzburg. It would be cool for Max Johnston to be part of a squad that wins the Austrian Bundesliga.

On 24/04/2024 at 20:44, Jives Miguel said:

Andy Irving just scored a hat-trick against Red Bull Salzburg. 8 goals and 5 assists this season in the Austrian top flight. Off to West Ham in the summer. He's on a really upward trajectory in his career. 

Six goals in the last five games.  That's not bad at all for a Scottish player in a top league (outwith the major five).

3 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Six goals in the last five games.  That's not bad at all for a Scottish player in a top league (outwith the major five).

What happened to him at Hearts? 

27 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

What happened to him at Hearts? 

I think they undervalued him as a player, and his potential to improve, and when it finally started to click for him his contract was running out and he wanted to move abroad. Similar story brewing at Aberdeen with regards to Connor Barron I reckon.

On 24/04/2024 at 22:44, Jives Miguel said:

Loaned back to Austria Klagenfurt on the same day that West Ham bought him in September 2023. Therefore would be a safe bet that he has never set foot in Upton Park or trained with West Ham. If he performs well for the rest of the season then perhaps West Ham will give him a squad number for next season which presumably was their intent after buying him and loaning him out for the season. So if the case, then yes, "off to West Ham" in the summer is a reasonably accurate assessment at this time. 

9 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I think they undervalued him as a player, and his potential to improve, and when it finally started to click for him his contract was running out and he wanted to move abroad. Similar story brewing at Aberdeen with regards to Connor Barron I reckon.

Not really. He had his moments for Hearts but never found consistency despite his obvious technical ability. The season after he left he was a bit-part player in the German third tier.

Good to see he's flourishing now, but I'd be surprised if he gets near a cap.

7 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Loaned back to Austria Klagenfurt on the same day that West Ham bought him in September 2023. Therefore would be a safe bet that he has never set foot in Upton Park or trained with West Ham.

Did they buy a time machine too?