Scotland Squad: Sep-2023 (Cyprus, England)

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

As much as our players won't be as used to the heat as the Cyprus guys are, it's worth remembering our team are a hell of a lot more technical than the type of brutes that wilted in the heat of Skopje fifteen years ago, for example. Our team coped fairly well in Norway as much as it was a smash and grab win.

I'm confident we'll win by a couple of goals.

Obviously different approaches for different teams etc, but it'll be interesting to see if we use possession as a means of coping with the heat this time after relying on our shape in Norway (which tbf might have been for reasons other than the weather). 

22 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Obviously different approaches for different teams etc, but it'll be interesting to see if we use possession as a means of coping with the heat this time after relying on our shape in Norway (which tbf might have been for reasons other than the weather). 

This is why McGregor and Gilmour in midfield is a must for me.

edited to add: beyond the fact both would be on my team sheet in every game anyway if fit!

Edited by TeeMan

On 05/09/2023 at 18:39, No_Problemo said:

An incredibly divisive, untrue and just all round terrible headline. 

ETA, not quite untrue I guess but clearly looking to encourage a pile on for someone who has an injury. 

Scott Burns is doubling down and insinuating that there’s a bit more to this story.  

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

As much as our players won't be as used to the heat as the Cyprus guys are, it's worth remembering our team are a hell of a lot more technical than the type of brutes that wilted in the heat of Skopje fifteen years ago, for example. Our team coped fairly well in Norway as much as it was a smash and grab win.

I'm confident we'll win by a couple of goals.

Heat shouldn’t be an excuse

Lot of the team are based in south of England and it’s been roasting down there.
dykes, adams, Armstrong, Christie, gilmour, hickey all london or south coast.

Hendry in Saudi. Tierney in Spain, Ferguson Italy 

14 hours ago, TeeMan said:

This is why McGregor and Gilmour in midfield is a must for me.

edited to add: beyond the fact both would be on my team sheet in every game anyway if fit!

The emergence of Gilmour has transformed us into having the option of being a possession based team. McGregor has always been good at it, but having a partner in there makes it much more fluid. Add to that the fact we'll always have overlapping fullbacks to ping the ball to. As well as having McGinn. It is virtually impossible to take the ball off him without fouling him.

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

You’d have thought so, wouldn’t you?   

I think I read somewhere here that the Home Nations have as part of their agreement that they won't select a player for a period (2 or 3 years?) if he has previously been capped by another home nation, is this correct? Could it be that Anderson/his agent were not fully aware of this? Otherwise the about turn seems very strange (assuming Scott Burns is right and he generally is). 

In any case though I think it's poor to frame the withdrawal this way. The guy could have handled it better (if it is even true) but he's a young guy and shite like this isn't going to help if he still does require convincing. Also means if he does return that no doubt some of the usual roasters will be on his back. 

17 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

I think I read somewhere here that the Home Nations have as part of their agreement that they won't select a player for a period (2 or 3 years?) if he has previously been capped by another home nation, is this correct? Could it be that Anderson/his agent were not fully aware of this? Otherwise the about turn seems very strange (assuming Scott Burns is right and he generally is). 

In any case though I think it's poor to frame the withdrawal this way. The guy could have handled it better (if it is even true) but he's a young guy and shite like this isn't going to help if he still does require convincing. Also means if he does return that no doubt some of the usual roasters will be on his back. 

I don't really see any value in going on about this. I'm just going to assume he was injured and leave it at that for now until something material about this situation develops further. It's got a bit of the Kieran Tierney being homesick and wants to go back to Celtic before pitching up at Real Sociedad vibes to it IMO. 😂

Edited by 2426255

On 05/09/2023 at 08:21, MarkoRaj said:

Love an international break

Buzzing for Friday 

Changed days, for me anyway. Used to be such a meh feeling. Sir Steve and the lads have put the pride back in the Scottish MNT.

Mad to think we're on the brink of q********* at such an early stage.