Scotland Squad: Sep-2023 (Cyprus, England)

On 29/08/2023 at 23:36, lubo_blaha said:

I would start Patterson over Hickey vs Cyprus. We were sluggish against them at home and we need some players who can beat a man in there. 

As much as I like the idea of a Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay and McGinn midfield quartet, I think Christie or a second striker would be a better bet attacking wise.

Patterson hooked at half time against Doncaster last night for a 40 year old so not sure if I would support him starting over Hickey right now. I'm not saying it's all his fault but Everton are turgid and might need to improve before he does. 

Did the ScotlandNT quiz on their twitter. Quite interesting to see who who has got the most caps under Steve Clarke up to now and it's good to see most of those players in Septembers squad. I greyed out anyone who hasn't been selected up to and including Nov-22. It gives a good picture of the core team.

image.png.ef67d50c9713fcf0f54fa458fdf8d5f5.png

https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1696462948359942602

Edited by 2426255

Out of interest I had to find out what 3 games McGregor and McGinn missed under Clarke.

McGregor didn't play in:

Turkey (a) Friendly - Celtic refused to release their players
Austria (a) Friendly - The window we originally were meant to play Ukraine in but got rescheduled, played v Poland a few days before
Slovakia (a) Nations League - The game a few days after the Serbia playoff win

McGinn didn't play in:

Denmark (a) - World Cup qualifier - Had COVID
Netherlands (n) - Pre Euros friendly
Belgium (a) - World Cup qualfier - Unused sub, Clarke's 2nd game in charge

32 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Out of interest I had to find out what 3 games McGregor and McGinn missed under Clarke.

McGregor didn't play in:

Turkey (a) Friendly - Celtic refused to release their players
Austria (a) Friendly - The window we originally were meant to play Ukraine in but got rescheduled, played v Poland a few days before
Slovakia (a) Nations League - The game a few days after the Serbia playoff win

McGinn didn't play in:

Denmark (a) - World Cup qualifier - Had COVID
Netherlands (n) - Pre Euros friendly
Belgium (a) - World Cup qualfier - Unused sub, Clarke's 2nd game in charge

I could be wrong here, but I'd guess that at least one of them has featured in every game since Strachan's last in charge.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Did the ScotlandNT quiz on their twitter. Quite interesting to see who who has got the most caps under Steve Clarke up to now and it's good to see most of those players in Septembers squad. I greyed out anyone who hasn't been selected up to and including Nov-22. It gives a good picture of the core team.

Are you part of the 100% club?

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I could be wrong here, but I'd guess that at least one of them has featured in every game since Strachan's last in charge.

Think you’re right. At least one of them involved in every game under McLeish, unless I’ve fucked it up. McGregor missed the Peru and Mexico double header, while McGinn missed the Albania and Israel double header and was an unused sub against San Marino. 

Both unused subs in Strachan’s last game. 

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Would love to do an equivalent quiz for McLeish’s second spell. 

The Cyprus squad if anyone cares. Not that easy to find.

image.thumb.png.582a7cd89a343133a4d84ed4708d5bf5.png

On the surface it seems quite odd nobody was called up from Aris Limassol who are in Rangers Europa League group and won the Cypriot League last year or from APOEL who were knocked out by Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Conference League playoff round, but finished runners up in the Cypriot League last year. 

Joel Mall played for Servette against Genk and Rangers in the Champions League Qualifiers and will play in a Europa League group with Slavia Prague, Roma and Sheriff Tiraspol. 56% of the Cyprus squad play in Cyprus and 44% play in foreign leagues and 56% of the Cyprus squad played minutes at Hampden in March.

https://goal.philenews.com/podosfero/kypros/ethnikes-omades/ethniki-i-klisi-tou-ketspagia-gia-tous-agones-me-tin-skotia-kai-tin-ispania/