Scotland Squad: Sep-2023 (Cyprus, England)

33 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Jack Hendry must be one of a very very small number of players to have been called up for Scotland while playing his club football outside of the UEFA confederation. The only other name that springs to mind is Johnny Russell who was involved in the Scotland set up in 2018 and 2019 while playing for Sporting Kansas City in the USA.

Does anyone have the full list of players that have been called up to Scotland whilst playing out with UEFA countries? It's not so long ago that we nearly exclusively called up players playing their club football in Scotland or England however it has become more common over the past few years to see guys going to France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Spain and Portugal, which I personally believe to be a good thing. Other than Russell and now Hendry though I don't remember anyone else getting called up from different continents.

Kenny Miller and Shaun Maloney also got caps whilst playing in MLS. I'll dig out the full list of all "foreign-based" caps in a second.

Edited by craigkillie

It’s surely not that surprising that there’s hardly been any caps for guys playing outside UEFA. Most of these leagues either aren’t very good or are simply holding pens for guys chasing a final payday. The ones that are probably quite decent standard can’t financially compete with what’s on offer in Europe.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Kenny Miller, Shaun Maloney and Allan McGregor all also got caps whilst playing in MLS. I'll dig out the full list of all "foreign-based" caps in a second.

Don't think McGregor played in MLS did he? Would Boyd have played for Scotland while at the Timbers? 

I believe this is a complete list of all players capped at non-UK clubs - double checked with London Hearts. Jack Hendry is already the only player capped at 3 different foreign clubs, and will likely add a fourth.

UEFA

🇧🇪 Club Brugge - Jack Hendry
🇧🇪 Lokeren - Jim Bett
🇧🇪 Oostende - Jack Hendry
🇫🇷 Marseille - Steven Fletcher
🇫🇷 Metz - Eric Black
🇫🇷 /🇲🇨 Monaco - John Collins
🇫🇷 Nantes - Mo Johnston
🇩🇪 Bayern Munich - Alan McInally
🇩🇪 Borussia Dortmund - Murdo MacLeod, Paul Lambert
🇩🇪 Hamburg - David Bates
🇩🇪 RB Leipzig - Oli Burke
🇩🇪 Wolfsburg - Brian O'Neil
🇮🇹 AC Milan - Joe Jordan
🇮🇹 Bologna - Aaron Hickey, Lewis Ferguson
🇮🇹 Cremonese - Jack Hendry
🇮🇹 Sampdoria - Graeme Souness
🇮🇹 Torino - Denis Law
🇳🇱 FC Twente - Scott Booth
🇳🇱 Utrecht - Scott Booth
🇷🇺 Lokomotiv Moscow - Garry O'Connor
🇪🇸 Alaves - Oli Burke
🇪🇸 Barcelona - Steve Archibald
🇪🇸 Mallorca - Alan Hutton
🇹🇷 Besiktas - Allan McGregor
🇹🇷 Bursaspor - Kenny Miller

CONCACAF

🇺🇸 Chicago Fire - Shaun Maloney
🇺🇸 Sporting Kansas City - Johnny Russell
🇺🇸/🇨🇦 Vancouver Whitecaps - Kenny Miller

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Jack Hendry must be one of a very very small number of players to have been called up for Scotland while playing his club football outside of the UEFA confederation. The only other name that springs to mind is Johnny Russell who was involved in the Scotland set up in 2018 and 2019 while playing for Sporting Kansas City in the USA.

Does anyone have the full list of players that have been called up to Scotland whilst playing out with UEFA countries? It's not so long ago that we nearly exclusively called up players playing their club football in Scotland or England however it has become more common over the past few years to see guys going to France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Spain and Portugal, which I personally believe to be a good thing. Other than Russell and now Hendry though I don't remember anyone else getting called up from different continents.

Kenny Miller while at Vancouver?

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I believe this is a complete list of all players capped at non-UK clubs - double checked with London Hearts. Jack Hendry is already the only player capped at 3 different foreign clubs, and will likely add a fourth.

UEFA

🇧🇪 Club Brugge - Jack Hendry
🇧🇪 Lokeren - Jim Bett
🇧🇪 Oostende - Jack Hendry
🇫🇷 Marseille - Steven Fletcher
🇫🇷 Metz - Eric Black
🇫🇷 /🇲🇨 Monaco - John Collins
🇫🇷 Nantes - Mo Johnston
🇩🇪 Bayern Munich - Alan McInally
🇩🇪 Borussia Dortmund - Murdo MacLeod, Paul Lambert
🇩🇪 Hamburg - David Bates
🇩🇪 RB Leipzig - Oli Burke
🇩🇪 Wolfsburg - Brian O'Neil
🇮🇹 AC Milan - Joe Jordan
🇮🇹 Bologna - Aaron Hickey, Lewis Ferguson
🇮🇹 Cremonese - Jack Hendry
🇮🇹 Sampdoria - Graeme Souness
🇮🇹 Torino - Denis Law
🇳🇱 FC Twente - Scott Booth
🇳🇱 Utrecht - Scott Booth
🇷🇺 Lokomotiv Moscow - Garry O'Connor
🇪🇸 Alaves - Oli Burke
🇪🇸 Barcelona - Steve Archibald
🇪🇸 Mallorca - Alan Hutton
🇹🇷 Besiktas - Allan McGregor
🇹🇷 Bursaspor - Kenny Miller

CONCACAF

🇺🇸 Chicago Fire - Shaun Maloney
🇺🇸 Sporting Kansas City - Johnny Russell
🇺🇸/🇨🇦 Vancouver Whitecaps - Kenny Miller

From what I can see, Barry Robson earned his last cap for Scotland a few weeks after singing for Vancouver in 2012.

13 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

From what I can see, Barry Robson earned his last cap for Scotland a few weeks after singing for Vancouver in 2012.

He didn't join them until July 2012, and his last cap for Scotland was in February 2012.

"A game against England takes care of itself," said Clarke. "We want to challenge ourselves against the top nations, teams that get to the later stages of the major tournaments, but all of our focus is on Cyprus right now."

- Steve Clarke

May just be me but I was really worried that SSC was referring to England with the "Top Nations" comment. Glad he clarified it was Cyprus.

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Keepers aside, and I know Gunn has been decent but barely tested.

Thats about as good a squad for a long long time. Great to see the main men all fit at present. I’ve got good vibes about this. 

Genuinely, every time a new player comes in, they seem to be an upgrade. With the exception of injury call ups, our squad is just getting stronger every break. And we haven't even got Doak in yet!

Jacob Brown is an EPL player now, so he might come back into future squads. And the likes of Turnbull and Fraser could force their way back into the reckoning as well.

But if this was the 26 man squad (25 plus Doak) I'd be overjoyed.

Cyprus are going to play a really low block and be difficult to break down. Don’t think Clarke will reinvent the wheel though. Probably go with the same XI that beat Georgia at Hampden. That’s the best way to shoehorn the best 11 players in to the lineup apart from playing McTominay in the back three which I’m not sure we’ll see again.