Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager 2023 Edition

Who will be Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager?  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

I agree, but if we do go down the "football man" route, I was just thinking out loud there, imagine we appointed "Super" Frankie Lampard. You might not describe him as an "operator" as such, but his experience and contacts in the game are without question. I'm just thinking about how much young Josh Campbell would learn from him about making those late runs into the box. All of a sudden that's 10-15 goals added from midfield.

"But Frank's teams concede too many goals" I hear you say. Fear not, because that's where his right hand man comes into play. None other than John Terry. If you cut him open, I''m pretty sure he'll bleed concrete. He would sort out that defence in no time.

A side-benefit could be the special relationship we could strike up with Chelsea. We all know they have too many players, so I was just looking at some of their squad who have yet to register any minutes this season. Badiashile has struggled since he's come in so could potentially bring him in to get some experience. Then you've got young Romeo Lavia, who is surely not ready for their first team yet. Get him in to compete with Jeggo for that starting defensive midfield berth and you've got a right good set-up full of beans.

This is a great suggestion. As an honest Aberdeen fan, I would be terrified if Super Frank and JT were in the dugout at Hibernian. And what a statement that would be to the rest of the league and indeed the wider football family, by the way.

They would get the green half of Edinburgh dreaming again - and, as a football romantic, I will begrudgingly admit that I would find it difficult not to be drawn in by the fairytale that would surely unfold at Easter Road. 

It’s quite interesting (well for me anyway) to compare the expected reactions if Hibs were to appoint Mackay due to his past and the differing reaction (possibly) if Martindale got the job.

I’m just saying out loud that it is strange that the expected reaction for Mackay would be far worse than it would be for Martindale and it does bring about an interesting question as to why one is more acceptable than the other despite evidence to suggest one is a worse crime - based on sentencing for the different offences etc.

I’m not saying the above to defend Mackay nor attack Martindale ( I would choose Martindale over Mackay as my teams manager every day of the week) I’m just saying it’s quite an interesting thing to think about just with how we all view the different offences. 

I suppose another good question to ask, if any of them are on this thread, would be for the Ross County supporters who are still boycotting because Mackay is the manager - if your club sacked Mackay and appointed Martindale tomorrow would you go back? 

Edited by Sortmeout

26 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Should the first of those not be a 3rd?

That all depends on your view of Oldco.

Top 2 teams got a Champions League spot, we got one, that's enough for me. (biased obvs).

3 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

@Melanius Mullarkay, can you confirm that indeed concrete can bleed?

Thank you.

Concrete can indeed bleed, a sure sign that its lacking in fine material such as a limestone filler or indeed finer proportions of sand.

This can only happen when its in its fresh state.  I refer you to the appropriate British/European standard if you would  like to test your concrete for bleeding.

https://www.en-standard.eu/bs-en-480-4-2005-admixtures-for-concrete-mortar-and-grout-test-methods-determination-of-bleeding-of-concrete/

Martindale is Hibs best option I reckon, if they want someone with top flight experience.

Lennon would be a total disaster, suprised he is even being mentioned! Mackay would split the fans. McInnes would probably do alright, but not enough to entertain.

55 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

It’s quite interesting (well for me anyway) to compare the expected reactions if Hibs were to appoint Mackay due to his past and the differing reaction (possibly) if Martindale got the job.

I’m just saying out loud that it is strange that the expected reaction for Mackay would be far worse than it would be for Martindale and it does bring about an interesting question as to why one is more acceptable than the other despite evidence to suggest one is a worse crime - based on sentencing for the different offences etc.

For me Clive, it's because Martindale has shown remorse and tried to better himself. People, not everyone, generally deserve a second chance and he seems to have gone about things the right way since he commit said crimes.

Mackay, and I may well have missed this so happy to be proven wrong here, seems to have shown no remorse for being a racist p***k.

To me that's the difference.

Having said that, I'd still not be overly happy with Martindale as manager. 

59 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m not saying the above to defend Mackay nor attack Martindale ( I would choose Martindale over Mackay as my teams manager every day of the week) I’m just saying it’s quite an interesting thing to think about just with how we all view the different offences. 

I suppose another good question to ask, if any of them are on this thread, would be for the Ross County supporters who are still boycotting because Mackay is the manager - if your club sacked Mackay and appointed Martindale tomorrow would you go back? 

I hate the comparison tbh. Martindale fucked up, was punished, served his time in prison and has very obviously worked to turn things around. Which is basically the desired outcome for the rehabilitation side of the justice system.

Meanwhile Mackay probably didn't break the law (not a lawyer so I'm hedging here) but he's, as far as I'm aware, shown little public contrition aside from getting caught. Maybe he has been very apologetic and sincerely improved behind closed doors and if so, great. But I can only judge him on his public statements until I develop mindreading powers.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Drug supply/ money laundering is something people do and can stop doing. 

Racist bigot is something people are. Maybe people can change what they are. But.... 

28 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I hate the comparison tbh. Martindale fucked up, was punished, served his time in prison and has very obviously worked to turn things around. Which is basically the desired outcome for the rehabilitation side of the justice system.

Meanwhile Mackay probably didn't break the law (not a lawyer so I'm hedging here) but he's, as far as I'm aware, shown little public contrition aside from getting caught. Maybe he has been very apologetic and sincerely improved behind closed doors and if so, great. But I can only judge him on his public statements until I develop mindreading powers.

I understand that but for Martindale you would say it’s a more serious crime.

If someone for example committed a pretty violent crime (armed robbery of your house)  but then says sorry about it and seeks to become a better person does that mean you would feel better about them as a person than someone who steals your milk once a month but refuses to admit it?

Again for the record I personally think of Martindale as being a better “character” or of better character I should say than Mackay and that is for all the reasons given by the quoted post.  I’m also not getting all high and mighty over the dreaded drug dealing offences (it is Scotland after all) I’m just saying that it is a bit mad when you consider the severity of the offence how we view them. I’m sure most of us on here have (or have had) racist grandparents/older relatives for example and you’re not going to want them going to the jail before the local drug dealer in your town.

Again, and I cannot stress this highly enough as I’m a big fan of Martindale, I’m not trying to attack Martindale I’m only trying to have a discussion about the matter.

4 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I understand that but for Martindale you would say it’s a more serious crime.

If someone for example committed a pretty violent crime (armed robbery of your house)  but then says sorry about it and seeks to become a better person does that mean you would feel better about them as a person than someone who steals your milk once a month but refuses to admit it?

Again for the record I personally think of Martindale as being a better “character” or of better character I should say than Mackay and that is for all the reasons given by the quoted post.  I’m also not getting all high and mighty over the dreaded drug dealing offences (it is Scotland after all) I’m just saying that it is a bit mad when you consider the severity of the offence how we view them. I’m sure most of us on here have (or have had) racist grandparents/older relatives for example and you’re not going to want them going to the jail before the local drug dealer in your town.

Again, and I cannot stress this highly enough as I’m a big fan of Martindale, I’m not trying to attack Martindale I’m only trying to have a discussion about the matter.

I think the issue isn't that the support would have any issue with David Martindale coming in as manager it's that he wouldn't pass the Hibernian's Board seal of approval as it is generally made up of Edinburgh lawyers and Partners in large firms.  Martindale has shown he's nothing short of a miracle worker in not just keeping Livingston in the Premiership but seeing them actively thrive and hand out  regular scuddings to the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen.  I'd certainly welcome him at ER but I doubt it will happen.