St Johnstone vs Dundee FC - 02/09/23

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bit of a stretch tbh.

Nah Ludo that was my exact thoughts as the goal went in , wTF are you doing there Carson , he looked liked he’d never been in goal before , not saying he should’ve saved it , just his reactions flapping about like a drowning man 

Docherty moaning about the officials is prime old boys Scottish Fitbaw coach nonsense. He knows fine well the game continued  due to time being wasted in the original added time. 

The same reason we slag off the likes of Davidson and Hughes is because they have the self awareness of a concrete block.

He should just keep his mouth shut and think about the part he played in the final result as he was bar far more influential in the final result than the officials. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Just watched the highlights. Dundee lacking in killer instinct and displaying the sort of loser attitude that has seen them go 50 (fifty) plus years without any achievements. Floating away aimlessly until their decrepit stadium is condemned and the lights get put out.

On the other hand, the back to back cup winning champs absolutely rock solid mentally. Winners.

Confident going forward. Completely new team still gelling and new signings to come in and hopefully make it stronger. I thought we looked technically and physically superior. 

Can’t help but think McLean isn’t going to last. However, good mentality in the end which obviously bodes well so we shall see. 

Edited by Liam899

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

On another note, is the St Johnstone strip a skin tight material or are some of your squad carrying a bit weight? I assume it's tight but it looked like multiple players had a wee bit of a gut.

We're cultivating mass.

6 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Confident going forward. Completely new team still gelling and new signings to come in and hopefully make it stronger. I thought we looked technically and physically superior. 

Can’t help but think McLean isn’t going to last. However, good mentality in the end which obviously bodes well so we shall see. 

Agree that we don’t look great. As with Dundee, we also have a near completely new team who have to get used to each other, with more just in the door. Whether it’s enough we shall see, as you rightly say. Doesn’t look like the poor Dundee we’ve seen for years. After the first quarter we will see a clearer picture.

21 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Itll depend how he reacts to the witch hunt.

The media have already marked him as a victim due to the poor cup results, so every poor result/run of form will see pressure on him about being punted. Opposition fans will all be the same.

Some of our fans have decided hes not up to it and are jumping on everything as proof hes not up to it. 

Just the risks of being a manager i guess, but itll be a lot to take for a rookie. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Itll depend how he reacts to the witch hunt.

The media have already marked him as a victim due to the poor cup results, so every poor result/run of form will see pressure on him about being punted. Opposition fans will all be the same.

Some of our fans have decided hes not up to it and are jumping on everything as proof hes not up to it. 

Just the risks of being a manager i guess, but itll be a lot to take for a rookie. 

As I’ve said before if MacLean had no St Johnstone connection and had came directly from Ross County as a player with no managerial experience would you feel differently?  From what I’ve seen he doesn’t appear ready for managing a Premiership or even Championship team.  From the outside looking in it certainly appears he is trading on the goodwill he had built up as a former St Johnstone player.

4 minutes ago, Girth said:

Good point for Saints. 

Could be the difference between 11th and 12th place. 

Thank you. 

Nah think they’ll still be 12th , had the Doc not made they changes yesterday they would’ve been humped good and proper, I honestly think until then , that’s the worst st Johnstone side I’ve seen since around the late 70s when they were in the 3rd tier of the leagues 

5 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Nah think they’ll still be 12th , had the Doc not made they changes yesterday they would’ve been humped good and proper, I honestly think until then , that’s the worst st Johnstone side I’ve seen since around the late 70s when they were in the 3rd tier of the leagues 

Nah we have absolutely been worse than this.....Stark in charge, JC....some dark, dark days.

Time to save this season. 

I am not convinced by:

Mclennand

Robinson

Costelloe

Not a fan of:

Carey

Macpherson

Beginning to lose faith in:

May

Yesterday once the changes had been made, some of our more senior players stepped up to plate. 

Considine in particular. Every time he got the ball he looked to move it positively.

Likewise with Kane. Easy to forget how useful he can be.

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Edited by GreekPhoenix
Spelling

St Johnstone just didn't look like they had a plan. There was little organisation and the amount of simple passes that the wing backs and wingers couldn't get under control and allowed to slide out of play was something I've not witnessed as much in the top flight or indeed the Championship.

Chris Kane was the main difference maker as he gave St Johnstone something up front. Max K is considerably better than the shite that Maclean has brought in from down South as well. Said it yesterday but that Costelloe put in one of the worst individual performances that it has to be a slap in the puss for St Johnstone's own young players that he was picked ahead.

I'd be considerably more concerned about the relegation battle if St Johnstone were to get rid of Maclean but from the outside looking in he just looks so far out of his depth that we should at least have that cushion.

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

St Johnstone just didn't look like they had a plan. There was little organisation and the amount of simple passes that the wing backs and wingers couldn't get under control and allowed to slide out of play was something I've not witnessed as much in the top flight or indeed the Championship.

Chris Kane was the main difference maker as he gave St Johnstone something up front. Max K is considerably better than the shite that Maclean has brought in from down South as well. Said it yesterday but that Costelloe put in one of the worst individual performances that it has to be a slap in the puss for St Johnstone's own young players that he was picked ahead.

I'd be considerably more concerned about the relegation battle if St Johnstone were to get rid of Maclean but from the outside looking in he just looks so far out of his depth that we should at least have that cushion.

Read a few times Dundee fans saying Maclean is way out of his depth as it’s his first season as a manager after being an assistant. Yet they have Tony Docherty in his first season in charge after being an assistant…

Im guessing the opinion is being based purely on interviews? 

By getting a draw at Celtic whilst under massive pressure, and fighting back for a point yesterday Maclean has passed two huge tests and shown he has something about him.  

As for relegation, who knows? Got to be someone, and there’s a 1 in 10 chance it’ll be us. Or Dundee.

Agree about Costelloe, had his boots on the wrong feet, brushed aside too easily, got the ball stuck under his feet etc.  But all that suggest someone who’s nervous,  so we’ll see what he brings in the next few months as too early to write him off.

The one thing that annoyed me about some of our new players from down south was when they were knocked over or got the slightest contact they’d be appealing to the ref for a foul instead of getting on with it… You’re playing men’s football now lads, toughen the f**k up and get stuck in.