Dumbarton v East Fife 2/9/23

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

Was it an even 45 or did Sons edge it?

We've played more of the football, but EF have had a couple of right good chances.

It feels like they are there for the taking to me. We're just making the wrong decision a lot in the final third.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

We've played more of the football, but EF have had a couple of right good chances.

It feels like they are there for the taking to me. We're just making the wrong decision a lot in the final third.

Some nice build up and lovely wee flicks etc (particularly from Hilton), but allowing ourselves to be doubled up on in the East Fife end and moves breaking down. Gray doing well with the long (Long) balls over the top to run onto, but tends to hold onto it too long looking to go on a dribble rather than play someone in. East Fife have tested Long 2 or 3 times with decent efforts on target. I'm liking Blair Malcolm more with each game.

That’s quite the take from the East Fife Twitter account calling that a “smash and grab win”. 

I thought we were poor today and against a very average looking East Fife. Our insistence on punting the ball long will never cease to infuriate me. I get that you can’t play the ball on the deck 100% of the time, and the over the top can be effective in certain situations, we just look so much better passing the ball forward. All 3 of our centre backs were guilty as charged for barely playing a pass on the deck, especially in the first half. We actually have players from the midfield forward who look comfortable playing the quick passing game. Carlo is a huge miss at RWB - I’m not sure if Lynas is still carrying a bit of a knock but he looked really poor out there today and didn’t look entirely comfortable in his role.

A wins a win at the end of the day but we were far from at our best. 

With a bit more quality on the delivery that would have been out of sight. 

Gray is tremendous. Easy motm for me. The burst of pace he has over the first few yards is frightening and he must be a nightmare to play against. He's everywhere. With Malcolm in there digging away it really frees up Gray to burst forward. 

Our fullbacks are a bit suspect and need to tighten up a fair bit. 

1-0 Sons was probably about the right outcome. East Fife only really showed their threat in flashes, a good 10-15 minutes in the second-half and a couple of good chances from balls into the box in the first.

I'd like to see us shooting more. And it really felt like they were there to be got at with that horrendously slow backline, but we just didn't ever really click in the final third.

Three points. Clean sheet. Late goal. Up the road will do me though. It was nice to see us with the strength to make a host of subs who made a difference, and to see us change the shape up a bit to try and force a breakthrough. Night and day to last season in both regards.

That game was a classic example of how no two games in League Two are alike.  Gone was the cavalier attacking of last week to be replaced by a quite nervy performance against a so-called struggling East Fife.

And yet.  We won the game by dint of team effort and the invaluable ability to bringing options off the bench.  Faz really rolled the dice with that quadruple substitution; sometimes it comes off, sometimes not.  Today was our day.

As for the Fifers, for the second week running our opponents will play a lot worse and win.

Thought we were very poor with no tactics .Far to much punting ball up the park. Was obvious that EF came for a draw. Ref allowed them so much and has been said last weeks ref would have had great fun booking. Lynas wasn't fit was easy to see but he's definitely our best RB. Carlo is OK infront of him with them attacking but not as our RB.

That was an odd sort of game.  The only side trying to win it won it but we made heavy weather of it. We were the better team for most of it but we were far from our best.

Findlay was excellent and I thought Blair Malcolm was up there too.  The changes had the desired effect and a limited EF display couldn’t handle the effect they had.

The ref’s presumed inexperience was taken advantage of by East Fife on a number of occasions and their disruption tactics nearly got them the point they came for.  It was far from a classic but we just deserved the win and despite a couple of chances, you can see why the Fife have had a poor start and are struggling.