Why do Scottish clubs often struggle in Europe?

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We are ranked 10th and have points comparable to Austria, Switzerland and Turkey.

Tier 1 is clearly England, Spain, Germany and italy

Tier 2 is France, Belgium, Netherlands and Portugal

Yes it's pretty impressive I was aware of it.

We've all 5 entrants still competing come last qualifying round; guaranteed 3 in groups (like last season); with Hearts contending to make 4; and Rangers contending for CL (like last season) + Aberdeen for EL.

On what planet is that "struggling" - this season or last?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Guest DannyBlue

Countries with vastly bigger populations than us like Poland and Romania would adore to have our 'struggles'.  We always herald Sweden's summer football, which gives them an advantage in these rounds of European football, but despite this and being a bigger country, they have only 1 side left this season and rank 13 places below us in the live coefficient.

The reality is that our clubs are not consistent and sometimes have stinkers, I can only imagine the reaction if Aberdeen v Darvel was a European tie, it would serve as a premise for 100,000 podcast episodes about the sad plight of Scottish football.

Edited by DannyBlue

Lads, I’m not sure he really gives a f**k what anybody thinks about Scottish clubs in Europe.. I think he just wants you to listen to his podcast!

When the internet was new it was all so exciting, the fact that anybody could upload their own video and star in it.

But now, with every second person thinking they’ve got something interesting and original to say and feeling they should be listened to having a conversation that you could have with your own mates down the pub, I’m not so sure.

Theres even folk got on tv with this kind of pish. For multiple series’!!

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Lads, I’m not sure he really gives a f**k what anybody thinks about Scottish clubs in Europe.. I think he just wants you to listen to his podcast!

When the internet was new it was all so exciting, the fact that anybody could upload their own video and star in it.

But now, with every second person thinking they’ve got something interesting and original to say and feeling they should be listened to having a conversation that you could have with your own mates down the pub, I’m not so sure.

I'd like to hear more about this theory, you should do some sort of media around it

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I didn't watch the video, I just waded in with a comment.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I get the impression, somehow, that he's been interested in football for about a month.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

What's actually wrong with that? Every person on this forum signed up to it because they thought they had something interesting to say. If he wants to try and make a job out of it or it's just a hobby for him then fair play. 

The fact that there are people on tv from doing stuff like this says there is a market/interest in it. Yes the 'ordinary person from down the pub who just wants to put their opinion out there' thing grates me a wee bit with the likes of Rory Jennings, that gimp Thogden and Mark Goldbridge but I would love to get paid to put my thoughts on football out there.

As a bare minimum, we'll have 1xCL, 1xEL and 1xECL again this season.

If all goes well tonight, you could be looking at 1xCL, 2xEL and 1xECL participants (I'm discounting Hibs), which would be a great return for a country of Scotland's size.

The big difference this year is Hearts and Hibs have both knocked out higher-ranked teams on their way to the play-offs. Long live the Big 5, eh?

Given that Sevco and Hibs both knocked out Swiss teams, and were then soundly walloped (I'm discounting the possibility of a miraculous recovery by Hibs tonight, though I'd welcome it if it came) in the next round, Swiss club football must be minging.

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Given that Sevco and Hibs both knocked out Swiss teams, and were then soundly walloped (I'm discounting the possibility of a miraculous recovery by Hibs tonight, though I'd welcome it if it came) in the next round, Swiss club football must be minging.

Tbf in earlier rounds their clubs beat Djurgardens, Maccabi Haifa and Genk. Oddly enough Swiss just rejigged their top divisions to copy us... 12 team tier 1 with split = 38 games & 10 team tier 2 = 36 games.

For all the doom and gloom, this has been a good season.

Hearts and Hibs both out-performed their seeding, and we'll see what the three teams left do.

But this is the best overall performance we've had for ages. When was the last time we had nobody pumped out at the first hurdle and two teams winning unseeded ties?

Problems are down to Youth. You cannot compete money wise. But why are your clubs not investing in Youth?  Look at the Netherlands they invest in Youth and talent comes amasse. Scotland can do the same.

Secondly its time to overhaul the scouting why are Scottish clubs trying to compete with the Big nations for players. Look to South America nations like Peru, Chile, Ecuador you get my meaning.

Countries in Asia like Vietnam, Thailand etc should be scouted.   

5 minutes ago, Edward said:

Problems are down to Youth. You cannot compete money wise. But why are your clubs not investing in Youth?  Look at the Netherlands they invest in Youth and talent comes amasse. Scotland can do the same.

Secondly its time to overhaul the scouting why are Scottish clubs trying to compete with the Big nations for players. Look to South America nations like Peru, Chile, Ecuador you get my meaning.

Would the current immigration rules allow this?

11 minutes ago, Edward said:

I'm sure our clubs are investing in youth but again they don't have the money to invest millions of pounds into it. It feels like we are producing more top quality youngsters than we have in a long time.

The problem is, as it always is, England. They will grab any kid that shows a bit of promise as quickly as they can. With Brexit there are looking more and more into other UK divisions. It's easy enough for them to throw a couple of hundred grand at a promising young player in a clubs academy, if it doesn't work out it is losing a couple quid down the sofa to them. It if does work then they have a quality young player who will count towards their home-grown quota if they get them early enough.

It actually works out quite well for the National Team as these players will have the best facilities and coaches in the world to use, just not great for the clubs.

Edited by PB1994

Scotland comfortably outperforms every other nation under 10 million people over the past few decades.

Comfortably outperform many far larger nations too.

We have had three European finals this millennium, most leagues (whether Poland or Hungary or Sweden etc.) Have zero combined.

We have a self image problem, not a performance problem.

We will never compete with the top 5 leagues in Europe again, but nobody will that's just how football has gone. Relative to our peer group we are miles ahead, and have been for a very long time.

2 hours ago, Edward said:

They've also got a bigger population to draw from, not really a comparable Country to us. 

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Would the current immigration rules allow this?

Good point, Livi signed a player from Africa and he wasn't allowed a work permit, we're now having to try again in January.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER