Starfield

SweeperDee

Unsure if there is a topic about it already.

This game is fantastic; obviously there are some typical Bethesda bugs, for me the audio falls behind or cuts out from time to time but makes no odds; I have to run it on Low settings on my PC even with my 3060 12gb but my CPU is bottlenecking me a bit. Otherwise it really is just great. A combination of Fallout 4, No Mans Sky, a touch of Elite Dangerous; and I really can’t sing it’s praises enough. The only thing I have a slight gripe with are the loading screens/transitions to areas/interiors. 

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

This game is fantastic; obviously there are some typical Bethesda bugs, for me the audio falls behind or cuts out from time to time but makes no odds; I have to run it on Low settings on my PC even with my 3060 12gb but my CPU is bottlenecking me a bit. Otherwise it really is just great. A combination of Fallout 4, No Mans Sky, a touch of Elite Dangerous; and I really can’t sing it’s praises enough. The only thing I have a slight gripe with are the loading screens/transitions to areas/interiors. 

I really, really want this to be good. Still dithering between ordering the special edition with early access or waiting until it appears on Game Pass next week 

1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:

I really, really want this to be good. Still dithering between ordering the special edition with early access or waiting until it appears on Game Pass next week 

The gamepass is offering the premium edition/early access for 30 odd quid, I jumped at it. 

5 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

The gamepass is offering the premium edition/early access for 30 odd quid, I jumped at it. 

I thought it was only the £100 version on Game Pass thst gave you early access

ETA - I checked and you're right. I guess I must have missed that when I looked last night

Edited by Homer Thompson

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I saw some leaks on Twitter that put me right off this. The facial animation and voicework was Skyrim tier bad.

Will be waiting a few weeks/months for the dust to settle on the reviews.

The reviews haven't exactly been overwhelmingly amazing and these are the reviewers Bethesda hand picked. I think I'll hold off as well.

10 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

How many hours have you sunk in?

Transferred it over to my external SSD and it runs much smoother. I have to set the resolution down to 1080p but can run it at medium and get a stable 50/60fps. Loading screens aren’t much of an issue now with my the SSD. I know some folk are skeptical but honestly if you have gamepass, give it a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say after putting a ton of hours into this I’m loving it. It’s really not anything ground breaking but I obviously just really like almost anything Bethesda develops as I’ve liked everything of theirs I’ve played since Oblivion came out.

Weird seeing it reported as Bethesda’s least glitchy game which whilst probably true for me there’s still a ton of videos out there showing the usual Bethesda randomness. I also currently have two quest glitched on me that I can’t complete. Luckily they’re not particularly important ones.

I'm about level 25 now and I'm struggling to get into this now. I think there's good bits of it but a lot of it is really, really repetitive. I've had the exact same building I've had to raid to find an artefact a few times. Right down to where lockboxes etc are. I loved Fallout and had a blast on Skyrim but when this is launching at the same time as the new Cyberpunk 2077 expansion 2.0 you see how massively behind this game is in terms of building a world/universe that's properly impressive. 

Overall it gets a:

Not Great Ok GIF by Sky España

Edited by well fan for life

• 4 weeks later...

I've started to get into this. Just about to leave New Atlantis after doing as many side quests there as I could. 

A lot of it doesn't seem very intuitive, particularly the research but doesn't take too long to understand. 

It is very Bethesda though. 

I initially had issues with the speech being out of sync, bit moving to the ssd seems to have sorted that 

Was a slow start for me as well. Then I've really gotten into it. Usually I'll find time to play a game once or twice a week at a push. 

Lately... Double that so it's grabbed my attention. 

Probably because I'm willing to see past the fact graphically it's not particularly special at all. Summed up by the fact my 4 year old good for it's time  gaming laptop, as laptops go can run it on full spec without any problems. Although you could also say that's a good thing that it's accessible!

Enjoying the way they they tie in the "random" encounters into missions and quests etc. The walk here, then do this for 3 mins then walk all the way back somewhat annoying but... Heyho. 

Probably 70+ hours in. Will probably tie off all story and faction quests and drift away though. Fiddled around with the outposts etc but completing all the research etc wont provide any additional satisfaction for me so can't see myself spending too much time on those kind of things going forward. If I've got the resources to do it... Great, if I don't I'm not going looking for some obscure resource that'll allow me to make fancier decorative outpost stuff 🤷‍♂️

I heard there was no aliens but I'm hoping that's bullshit for an interstellar game.

Honest reviews still seem to be pretty bad so I've not bothered yet sadly. Will wait for a sale and significant performance patches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/10/2023 at 01:05, GiGi said:

I heard there was no aliens but I'm hoping that's bullshit for an interstellar game.

Honest reviews still seem to be pretty bad so I've not bothered yet sadly. Will wait for a sale and significant performance patches.

I'm about 50 hours in and no aliens so far. Can't say it's affected the game at all. The whole story, I think, is about everyone leaving earth and colonising other planets. There's plenty of alien creatures to kill. 

I've really got into this now. It feels really big, although I know people said it gets repetitive. I haven't hit that yet and still so many quests to do, it's unreal! 

I think my enjoyment grabbed hold when I stopped expecting it to be something ground breaking and realised it's just Fallout 5

Eta - I've not had any performance issues. If anything it runs better than any other Bethesda game. I did install a mod that replaces the Amd up scaling with an Nvidia one. It seems a lot smoother after that 

Edited by Homer Thompson

I enjoyed the game and it has a lot of replay ability with how the story ends, although

Spoiler

Once the main quest is completed you start again with your existing stats in a “new” universe. It would be nice if the new universe was different if even in subtle ways.

Things like:

Different Factions having control or more influence of different universe to offer something slightly different (maybe the Va’ run more involved etc)

id love one where humans haven’t left Sol but that would be a nightmare for the devs as they’d effectively have to rebuild earth plus a load of bases

Or one where humanity never actually left earth, nuked earth into oblivion and there’s nothing on any planets except the artefacts etc (although this would probably be a pretty boring play through)

As others have rightfully said, if you approach the game as Fallout in space, you’ll have a better experience. If fallout in space sounds shit then you probably won’t like it 

As with all Bethesda games, mods really improve the experience. 

2 hours ago, untitled00 said:

I enjoyed the game and it has a lot of replay ability with how the story ends, although

Reveal hidden contents

Once the main quest is completed you start again with your existing stats in a “new” universe. It would be nice if the new universe was different if even in subtle ways.

Things like:

Different Factions having control or more influence of different universe to offer something slightly different (maybe the Va’ run more involved etc)

id love one where humans haven’t left Sol but that would be a nightmare for the devs as they’d effectively have to rebuild earth plus a load of bases

Or one where humanity never actually left earth, nuked earth into oblivion and there’s nothing on any planets except the artefacts etc (although this would probably be a pretty boring play through)

As others have rightfully said, if you approach the game as Fallout in space, you’ll have a better experience. If fallout in space sounds shit then you probably won’t like it 

As with all Bethesda games, mods really improve the experience. 

I haven't seen any mods with major changes, but I'm sure they'll come. 

I'm just annoyed that they script extender only works with the stream version, not game pass

• 5 weeks later...

I was under the impression that this would be Bethesda returning to the form they had a decade ago, I was mistaken after watching play throughs. I mean why spend around £60 without checking it out first. It really looks dated with graphics and amimations that could come from 2014 and there is nothing engaging or interesting about it and so so many loading screens.

Compare to Cyber Punk 2077 and its game mechanics, the quests with added distractions and character back stories, dialogue and interactions, the combat and the open world element, no contest. Starfield has very little depth to it. Even Fallout 4 with all its faults and gliches is far better game as it gets your curiousity to explore and investigate and also other science fiction games like The Outer Worlds and the Mass Effect series are far superior in almost every way. Was it really worth boasting about 1000 planets to visit when 95% of them are empty and have nothing of any interest on them at all. Quantity over quality again.

After the initial good reviews the game had after launch (most of these were probably the advertisers themselves multi spaming ) is now down to the level of mixed on Steam, so Bethesda did a good advertising grifting job to hype it up but as usual it left a lot of people were disappointed. I think a lot of people still want Bethesda to do well for some reason despite the the Fallout 76 debacle and its pay to progress, the way they treated loyalty was a disgrace, they lost a lot of customers. People should realise that the are only interested in taking your money than doing anything different or ground breaking anymore even though they claim so, why do people get taken in by their bullshit?

Nah I'll give it a miss and wait for Death Stranding 2.

I've heard The Planet Crafter is a good game.

Awww poor Todd

Edited by CityDave94