Harvey Barnes

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

But you wouldn’t be willing to give Barnes or Anderson the opportunity to do so?

Well Anderson already had the opportunity and has by all accounts shown he is not.

Barnes, no I wouldn't. He would clearly rather represent England, if it was up to him. I wouldn't lose any sleep if he's called up, he's a good player.

Barnes is 25yrs old and I'm sure if he declares for Scotland it will be because he has carefully considered it. I trust Steve Clarke to judge how committed he is and I doubt he will have him in the 1st team for the Euros opening game even if he comes on board for the next round of qualifiers as Clarke has been very loyal to his players. Even when there are opportunities to try new players he rarely takes it so no way does he fall for someone who just fancies a game at an international tournament.

Late to this conversation but was there not a bit of friction when Che Adams decided to switch allegiance just as we were starting to get good and subsequently qualified for the last euros.

End of the day, a better quality of player will have their heads turned when an opportunity arises. I'm all for getting the best quality of player we can get. Barnes is a 40 million pound player. I've no doubt that if Clarke questions his commitment then he wouldn't be selected for Scotland squads. 

45 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Well Anderson already had the opportunity and has by all accounts shown he is not.

Well that's not true, it's one journalists account and even his account doesn't commit to anything. He may well have had a change of heart and if that is what transpires then fair enough we move on but he could just as easily be called up to the next squad and turn up with no issues.

Steve Clarke thinks both players would improve the squad so if he can get them on board I'm not sure why many would be against it. 

Being reported in various media outlets today that Clarke has said that he has already spoken to Barnes, albeit a while ago. (‘I am not going to say I haven’t spoken to Harvey, because I have.’) Clarke is playing it cool, as you’d expect, but you’d have to assume that if Barnes genuinely wants to play for Scotland now, then it will happen.

Edited by Frankie S

Clarke's comments were basically 'I'm not going to convince anyone.' He said that if they are ready to dedicate themselves to the cause like Adams and Dykes and give everything to Scotland then he'll welcome them with open arms but if they have any doubts and are not fully bought in then so long, good luck.

Pretty much end thread tbh, doesn't get any more definitive than that for me

2 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Clarke's comments were basically 'I'm not going to convince anyone.' He said that if they are ready to dedicate themselves to the cause like Adams and Dykes and give everything to Scotland then he'll welcome them with open arms but if they have any doubts and are not fully bought in then so long, good luck.

Pretty much end thread tbh, doesn't get any more definitive than that for me

Well that’s fine and well, but we have no idea where either of the players stand on that front.  Clarke hasn’t put an end to the speculation.

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well that’s fine and well, but we have no idea where either of the players stand on that front.  Clarke hasn’t put an end to the speculation.

Couldn't really care less about speculation

We have a team that's doing really well without them, not worrying about them at all

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'd like to see a timed countdown reveal video before they make their respective decisions to build it up a little. I want a bit of suspense and plenty of paper talk about this tug of war.

A gender reveal but with white and blue instead of pink and blue? I'm okay with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Those anticipating Barnes getting a call up for next months Internationals will have to wait a little longer by the look of things. That is if he has decided to play for us and that Clarke has had the discussions of course.

Harvey Barnes: Newcastle winger could be out for 'months rather than weeks' with foot injury - BBC Sport