Cove v Kelty

First league match between the sides incoming. The last encounter was in the league cup at Balmoral when the Maroon Machine ran out deserved 3-2 winners. Looking at the starting line-up for Kelty last July there is only survivor, Tidser, which surprises me but shows the transition after Potter has been done with some degree of control and success.

Kelty have started the league campaign with 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw and sit 5th with a decent chance of getting into the playoffs spots with a win this weekend. Progressed into the 4th round of the Trust Trophy with some ease. Gourlay returning to face his former side will add an extra dimension to the match. Quite like the attacking options Kelty have at their disposal with Daramola, CJ, Cunningham and Biabi all capable of chipping in

Cove languishing in 8th with 3 straight losses including Saturday's Trust Trophy defeat to Montrose.

With the Cove support vocally showing their frustration at full time to Hartley and the board sitting in the stand,  this is a must not lose. If we go down on Saturday, the Edinburgh game the following week could well be his last. No home league wins since Hartley returned. The last home league victory coming on 23rd December.

Saturday is supposedly when we will see Fyvie back in the starting XI for his first competitive game since early January; he's massively needed. Blair returned last weekend and got 30 minutes in the tank.

Fancy goals in this one. Cove only with 1 clean sheet in their last 10, conceding 19 and scoring 16 in that time.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Very good summary on us. Tidser has done a great job post Potterball....which was not fun.

We concede chances galore but create a pile also so goals likely for sure. Fyvie will make a huge difference to your 11.

3.2 Kelty 😆

I'm looking forward to seeing Daramola, our defence will be terrified mind you

Fyvie and Blair both in the starting lineup in a Cove side which will revert back to its more familiar 4-4-2. Midfield will be narrow, with a diamond of Scully and Yule out "wide", McGowan at the base and Fyvie at the tip. Would love natural wingers but can't expect that with only 20 summer signings!

Williamson dropped; Mitch will partner Burrell as a duo. Darge, ex-Kelty loanee benched for Sena at RB.

Unexpectedly Jacob Jones returns from the wilderness and starts at LB.

If Kelty have done their homework on us they will target the full backs who are either dreadful in JJ case or unnatural in Sena's case. Our centre backs are prone to a mistake too.

Will be goals here I think.

Screenshot_2023-09-16-14-08-35-56_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-16-14-14-24-69_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

Shearer going out on loan was to be expected. Needs a run of games at men's level and Bo'ness Athletic have dine well with Daramola & Paterson previously so a good place to learn.

CJ must have a knock along with Moore who we knew was out. Young O'Donnell has done well last few weeks. Would take a draw.

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Great entertainment today two teams wanting the win but we go home well happy with a point 

Very entertaining game that good have seen more goals. First time seeing Kelty but looks like you like to play football. 

Have to say Kelty were better than I expected and gave us a real game today. Wasn’t helped by our manager continuing to deny that flanks exist and that to beat well organised teams like Kelty an injection of pace and creativity is required. Still, he managed to shout and scream at Jones for daring to take on a man and progress up the park. 

I would go as far as saying we (Cove) were fortunate to escape with a point from that.

As expected an open game with plenty of goals.

First half I thought Biabi caused Reynolds and Stewart plenty of problems and his partnership with Billy Owens down our right side was a threat. Latter with a fine finish for the Kelty second. Botti much better than I remembered him. CJ undoubtedly a miss. Tam O'Ware solid at centre half.

We grew into the game although first half the build-up was too slow and all on front of the 9 Kelty men behind the ball who didn't look under pressure. We didn't do enough in the final third to carve out chances. Mitch's screamer from outside the box instilled some hope going into the second half.

Second half we turned up the urgency slightly without threatening Gourlay overly much. At 2-2, I was fully expecting a winner for either side but Jason Thomson hauling down Scott Williamson when through on goal and away to pull the trigger denied what would have been the last obvious goal scoring chance. Can't blame Thomson for his action and secured a point for the away side.

Signs of improvement from Cove in we tried to pass it around and play through the lines but we're still not playing to the sum of our parts.

Kelty I'd like to see again with a front two of Botti or CJ and Daramola.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

We are a different proposition with CJ up top. He created space for others and as everyone knows works his socks off!

Tiwi has been bubbling under last few games but Boti has came in & done really well! 

Cove will be fine with Fyvie & Mitch in the team. Both top quality for this division.