Russell Brand - In Plain Sight

ICTChris

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The fact he is famous and so much older with years of "experience" is very much an unbalanced power dynamic.

It's legal but its a window into the the nature of the man and newsworthy in the context of other allegations.

It's only a window 'into the nature of the man', if you think that it's actually unusual or unique behavior to Brand in the context of famous or powerful young men. I suspect if you huckled every single, even remotely 'famous' man between 18-30 for seriously dodgy relationships with star-dazzled teenagers, then you wouldn't have many footballers, actors, musicians etc. who wouldn't be cancelled. 

For example, here's the lead singer of right-on group Arcade Fire being exposed for 'toxic behaviour', alleged sexual assault and undoubted cheating on his wife with much younger fans:

https://pitchfork.com/news/arcade-fires-win-butler-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-by-multiple-women-frontman-responds/

There are over 50 British MPs accused of sexual misconduct in office, and those are mostly middle-aged weirdos with faces like shovels and no innate attraction whatsoever. 

I suspect that the Sunday Times has been sitting on the 'Russell Brand is unkind to women!' story since about 2006, and it has been belatedly added on to a set of serious criminal accusations now. It tells you nothing about the latter though.

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Brand has had his YouTube monetisation suspended. I think he co-posts most of his videos to Rumble but not sure you can make as much money from that site.

Musk will invite him over to Twitter with his pals Tucker Carlson and Andrew Tate.

28 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

For those of us who don't habitually hang out with young famous, actors, footballers and musicians it's good to have @virginton around to tell us what's really going on.

It's really not my fault if you fail to recognise the social context of individual behaviour, or have developed a bizarrely revisionist reading of the UK's culture in the 2000s. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Personally, I think a 30 odd year old famous person sending a car to a school to pick up a pupil, to bring to their house, is newsworthy in itself given how incredibly fucked up it is. 

Given the mother was aware of such things - what was she thinking about?  Would/should the mother be considered an enabler as well? 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Given the mother was aware of such things - what was she thinking about?  Would/should the mother be considered an enabler as well? 

I seem to have missed that part, I guess so but ultimately you would need to know what that looked like - a wide range right up to the style of Mason Greenwood’s partners Dad who is the top end enabler/horrific parent. 

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I seem to have missed that part, I guess so but ultimately you would need to know what that looked like - a wide range right up to the style of Mason Greenwood’s partners Dad who is the top end enabler/horrific parent. 

The mother was well aware of the relationship and expressed reservations but ultimately didn't want to be seen as that mother who was controlling her daughter (I'm paraphrasing)  - personally, I would most certainly want my wife to be that mother in such circumstances.  One such incident she mentioned was when she dropped her daughter off at Brand's house Brand kissed her on the lips (not sure if the daughter or mother but either way) - major alarm bells surely had to be ringing. 

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The mother was well aware of the relationship and expressed reservations but ultimately didn't want to be seen as that mother who was controlling her daughter (I'm paraphrasing)  - personally, I would most certainly want my wife to be that mother in such circumstances.  One such incident she mentioned was when she dropped her daughter off at Brand's house Brand kissed her on the lips (not sure if the daughter or mother but either way) - major alarm bells surely had to be ringing. 

f**k knows what I was doing at that part of the documentary, but yeah as a parent you need to be ultimately. 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It was mentioned that she couldn't see a way of stopping it.

Yes, I read that.  I have no idea what the dynamics were in the family but surely as a parent this would have been close to her worst nightmare and she could have sought help from somewhere.  It just read badly that she dropped her daughter off at Brand's house - it just doesn't seem like the actions of a responsible parent.  It wasn't an isolated "date" either.  

26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It was mentioned that she couldn't see a way of stopping it.

The mother seems to have tried but the girl wasn't having it. Not sure I would have let my 16 year old daughter knowingly have sex with a man in his 30s but she has done and no doubt feels terrible about it.

The only one that comes out well is the taxi driver that begged her not to go in.

Screenshot_20230919_112218_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.33371ba1ab45cd04e7e898733e801ee2.jpgScreenshot_20230919_112117_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.d5bc793d1466f354c78d6a7374875edc.jpgScreenshot_20230919_112204_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.3de610ef75091d3c7c11078c83182cc3.jpg

Just now, No_Problemo said:

f**k knows what I was doing at that part of the documentary, but yeah as a parent you need to be ultimately. 

I'm not in the UK and didn't see the documentary so I'm purely going off a report I read somewhere on this forum.  

Ach, it's easy for me to sit here and make judgements on others without having insight into the detail of that family's life but it just adds to the terrible optics.

48 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Personally, I think a 30 odd year old famous person sending a car to a school to pick up a pupil, to bring to their house, is newsworthy in itself given how incredibly fucked up it is. 

Lots of parallels with Brand and Savile. 

The evidence of Savile's crimes was people coming forward years after them happening. I don't remember many folk saying 'ah but he can't defend himself, innocent until proven guilty' etc

9 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Lots of parallels with Brand and Savile. 

The evidence of Savile's crimes was people coming forward years after them happening. I don't remember many folk saying 'ah but he can't defend himself, innocent until proven guilty' etc

As someone who lived through the Savile years, there can't have been many folk who didn't think he was as dodgy as f**k but there it was, he never faced a trial for his crimes.  Protected.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Yes this part really stood out for me given I have a daughter of similar age. It’s been suggested that it was a BBC limousine on occasion and is alleged that part of the reasoning was that so Brand did not get seen out in public with a 16 year old and she was effectively whisked to his flat like a takeaway. That to me is sickening.

If this is true then BBC are imo enablers. I don’t care if 16 is legal that’s a child and as others have said the dynamics of a relationship between a schoolgirl and a man in his 30s are very similar to Savile . I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more young teenagers to come forward , imo very unlikely this was a one - off.

Edited by Stevie Kirk
Spelling